Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 103189 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2022, 03:43:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Royce O'Neale is a fantastic pickup for BKN. Exactly what they need. A solid defensive wing who is low usage and can hit some open shots.

Bad loss for Utah. Another step backwards for them. That team might not make the playoffs next year.

I'm pretty low on this. He doesn't spread the floor as well as Brown did. He's an awkward fit with Simmons and any other non-shooting big man. His defense really was meh last year. Maybe he can have a better year in a new location.

« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2022, 03:45:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Royce O'Neale is a fantastic pickup for BKN. Exactly what they need. A solid defensive wing who is low usage and can hit some open shots.

Bad loss for Utah. Another step backwards for them. That team might not make the playoffs next year.

Means Brown's gone? The Net's Brown, not ours.  ;D

I would keep both if I were BKN. Those two plus Harris plus the two 6-10 stars Durant and Ben Simmons. They would take up almost all my minutes SG, SF and PF. Maybe some small ball lineups with Simmons at C as well.

I would want that extra size on the wing.

They were too small last season. Too many tiny backcourts. Too many twin PG backcourts.

So I would want both Brown & O'Neale on that team next season. But we'll see what they choose to do with Brown. This might be a replacement for him ... but ideally, they need both.

« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2022, 03:47:07 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Royce O'Neal for a first is a little bit of a bummer. Hard to know if the Celtics had that opportunity but he would've been great here.

He might be too limited offensively for us. He is more limited than G Will. So our offense / bench would have an even tougher time scoring. Those two plus D White. Plus Smart plus Rob Williams.

That is a lot of offensive limitations.

« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2022, 03:48:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Oh boy.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
31s
Kevin Durant has requested a trade out of Brooklyn, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

They can talk him down if Kyrie stays.

If Kyrie goes .... and he still might go, so goes Durant.

« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2022, 03:50:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
LOL Kyrie opted in and Durant was like "screw this, I'm out"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Simmons and Irving "leading" the Nets next season, that'll be a real circus

I don’t get why the Nets ownership and KD wouldn’t want to see how the trio of Durant/Kyrie/Simmons looks before blowing it up. Unless the team plans to trade Kyrie before the season even begins in which case Durant wouldn’t want to stick around…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2022, 03:51:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Oh boy.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
·
31s
Kevin Durant has requested a trade out of Brooklyn, sources tell
@TheAthletic

@Stadium

Oh wow, that’s crazy. I wonder if he knows that Kyrie is a goner still, or just tired of his crap.

I thought Kyrie had agreed to go back to the Nets next year?  wow if the nets lose harden, and then Durant and Kyrie all in one year what a dumpster fire.
The thing is, the Nets showed a lot of promise with all their young guys before those three jumped and and now jumped out.  In the meantime the Nets got rid of a lot of good players to make room for those 3 headcases.  Wow....

update:  story up on ESPN now, they list Phoenix and Miami as the leading contenders.  Hopefully he goes West and not to the HEAT
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34174171/kevin-durant-requests-trade-brookyn-nets-sources-say
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:09:29 PM by blink »

Re: Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2022, 04:10:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Just to clarify the nets can’t “lose” Durant he is under contract for 4 more seasons. They can choose to trade him if they want.

This is sort of true.  Durant, however, absolutely has the status to force a trade to a team of his choosing, and it’s highly unlikely the Nets would get anyone near his caliber in return.

Then they don’t have to trade him? He is not sitting out the rest of his career or retiring. Do they wait till they get something. Even the 76ers were able to get an all star for simmons holding out and simmons is a much worst player with serious physical and mental health concerns. If Durant says I will only play for Celtics you think that forces them to trade us him for theis and smart?

This is an oddly Moranis-like take for you.  We already saw Durant force his way to the Nets and apparently demand that a 1st be sent along with him for DeAngelo Russell.  All while having a torn Achilles.  If Durant wants to go to a team, he will a) get there, and b) make sure his new team keeps its top couple of players, unless he really dislikes one of them.  There are limits, of course, in what the Nets will reasonably accept in return, but if KD wants to play in Boston with Tatum and Brown (and I have no belief that he does) then KD will be playing in Boston with Tatum and Brown.  He, like LeBron, absolutely has the power to pick his team at any time he wants.  The perks of being a superstar.

I give you a tommy point for what you did here lol. I almost don’t want to respond cause it is so great. But I will respond to the first part. The Russell contract was actually of great value to the warriors as they wanted a placeholder for that slot to move when they became competitive (they knew they probably were not winning anything that season with klay injured). As you know they won the championship this year because of that salary slot. You are missing a really massive point on top of that here. Warriors had no leverage because he was a free agent. They literally could, and expected to, lose him for nothing. Durant has 4 more years on his contract. So it’s really about as different as situations could be. Lastly can you remind me the last time Lebron forced his way out of town with even a single year left on this contract? Let alone 4.

Given the news of the day, are you still so certain about your position, celticsclay?

« Reply #262 on: June 30, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL Kyrie opted in and Durant was like "screw this, I'm out"  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Simmons and Irving "leading" the Nets next season, that'll be a real circus

I don’t get why the Nets ownership and KD wouldn’t want to see how the trio of Durant/Kyrie/Simmons looks before blowing it up. Unless the team plans to trade Kyrie before the season even begins in which case Durant wouldn’t want to stick around…

He probably is done with the drama just like Harden was. Kyrie's a headcase, the whole world knows it. Simmons is also a bit of a diva with an ego and I wouldn't be surprised if lowkey the locker room hates him for all his antics too. I think Seth Curry and Drummond HATE that they got traded from a good situation in Philly (where they loved playing and said so btw) to Brooklyn because of Simmons.

I mean think about it, we keep hearing about KD and Kyrie but what about Simmons? No one really cares lol. Nets ownership probably forgets they even have him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #263 on: June 30, 2022, 05:39:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm wondering if Lebron is pushing for a Davis/Westbrook for Durant/Kyrie trade.

« Reply #264 on: June 30, 2022, 05:42:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm wondering if Lebron is pushing for a Davis/Westbrook for Durant/Kyrie trade.

I'm sure he is, but the Nets say no. They've already made it clear they don't want Russ, AD is barely on the court, and LA has no picks to trade.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #265 on: June 30, 2022, 05:49:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

If Davis was healthy it wouldn't be a horrid trade. I really doubt that Russ and Simmons can play together. It would make the Lakers much better. The Nets are screwed either way.

« Reply #266 on: June 30, 2022, 05:56:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Great to know that Cryrie has destroyed another team! Oh happy days!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #267 on: June 30, 2022, 06:34:09 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Royce O'Neal for a first is a little bit of a bummer. Hard to know if the Celtics had that opportunity but he would've been great here.

Did Hell freeze over? Ainge and Nets again?!

Ainge probably banking on lottery pick that miraculously become top 3 and sure it will become a top player!

« Reply #268 on: June 30, 2022, 07:26:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Giving up a first for Royce O'Neale is going to be a painful decision if BKN cannot walk back this Durant trade demand.

O'Neale is a fine role player on a title contender but it is absolutely useless to give up a 1st for him to play on a non-contender.

« Reply #269 on: June 30, 2022, 07:27:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Giving up a first for Royce O'Neale is going to be a painful decision if BKN cannot walk back this Durant trade demand.

O'Neale is a fine role player on a title contender but it is absolutely useless to give up a 1st for him to play on a non-contender.
My understanding was that the first was a "lesser of" type among multiple teams
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)