Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 106646 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Washington is finalizing a trade to acquire Denver's Will Barton and Monte Morris for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Ish Smith, sources tell ESPN.

Glad we’ll only see Ish twice next year instead of 3-4 times.

His 13th team!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2022, 10:29:31 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
If I’m Dallas about to lose Brunson for nothing, I’m at least going to try to get Fournier back in a sign and trade. Fournier, with his shooting, would be a good complementary player to Luka.

According the Bill Simmons on his last Pod, the Knicks offered the Celtics Fournier for nothing. Celtics passed

I'd have no issue with a Fournier reunion. I think posters only remember his shooting slump to start his C's tenure, but he really rounded out after that. He finished the season at 46% from 3 for us and shot 44% in the playoffs. Seems like a nice locker room fit, liked to engage with the fans on social, and he wanted to come to Boston (said he gave management the right to match NYK's offer).

His contract is not perfect, but it's $37m over two years with the final year a team option and completely unguaranteed.

His shooting is fine. Defense isn’t. Seems like that’s first thing Brad looks for in a player. Everything else is secondary.

That's true. 

So, let's look back at the flaws in our team currently.  Would an all-offense player fit in on the bench unit, next to White, Grant and whoever else we're running out there?  Or, would it ruin our switchability, and therefore be to our detriment?

I think we need a scorer.  I'm not sure if Fournier is the best option, but I would have at least given him consideration.

I just don’t think that Brad wants any defensive liabilities in the rotation and apparently Thibbs doesn’t either. If Fournier was even average defensively, I don’t think he’d be available. He shot 39% from 3pt last year after all. Burks would even have been a better option, especially considering the price point. Give me Richardson over Fournier every day of the week.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 10:44:10 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2022, 10:35:07 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 684
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I will be very surprised if Brad makes any kind of deal or brings in anyone new. In the end they will settle for trying to develop Nesmith and PP.

« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2022, 10:36:06 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Washington is finalizing a trade to acquire Denver's Will Barton and Monte Morris for Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Ish Smith, sources tell ESPN.

His 13th team!

Oh wow!  Is that the new record, assuming he isn't traded to one his 11 other prior teams before the season starts?

« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If I’m Dallas about to lose Brunson for nothing, I’m at least going to try to get Fournier back in a sign and trade. Fournier, with his shooting, would be a good complementary player to Luka.

According the Bill Simmons on his last Pod, the Knicks offered the Celtics Fournier for nothing. Celtics passed

I'd have no issue with a Fournier reunion. I think posters only remember his shooting slump to start his C's tenure, but he really rounded out after that. He finished the season at 46% from 3 for us and shot 44% in the playoffs. Seems like a nice locker room fit, liked to engage with the fans on social, and he wanted to come to Boston (said he gave management the right to match NYK's offer).

His contract is not perfect, but it's $37m over two years with the final year a team option and completely unguaranteed.

His shooting is fine. Defense isn’t. Seems like that’s first thing Brad looks for in a player. Everything else is secondary.

That's true. 

So, let's look back at the flaws in our team currently.  Would an all-offense player fit in on the bench unit, next to White, Grant and whoever else we're running out there?  Or, would it ruin our switchability, and therefore be to our detriment?

I think we need a scorer.  I'm not sure if Fournier is the best option, but I would have at least given him consideration.

My gut says if the Celtics came back to the Knicks in two weeks and said, okay, we’ll take Fournier off your hands at no cost, the Knicks would still do it.  It wasn’t the move to make before free agency opens.

We don't have that kind of time, though. Once the new season calendar switches over (which I believe will be July 1, someone correct me if I'm wrong), his salary becomes to big for the TPE.

I just don't want us to spend time chasing ghosts and pipedreams when there's an available player who can help. Yeah, his defense isn't great but he least competes. We don't currently have a ton of weak spots in our defense, we can come up with a scheme where we can hide Fournier a bit.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2022, 10:38:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

His 13th team!

Oh wow!  Is that the new record, assuming he isn't traded to one his 11 other prior teams before the season starts?

Yeah, if he plays a game for DEN, it's a new record.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2022, 10:40:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

KCP is a nice pickup for DEN. A legit defensive SG. They have finally replaced Garry Harris. KCP not the ball-handler or passer that Harris was but with Jokic, Murray and Porter Jr DEN can live KCP's many offensive limitations.

Good switch from Will Barton to KCP in terms of roster balance. KCP not as talented but DEN need more defensive quickness & toughness & KCP brings that.

« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

That's true. 

My gut says if the Celtics came back to the Knicks in two weeks and said, okay, we’ll take Fournier off your hands at no cost, the Knicks would still do it.  It wasn’t the move to make before free agency opens.

We don't have that kind of time, though. Once the new season calendar switches over (which I believe will be July 1, someone correct me if I'm wrong), his salary becomes to big for the TPE.

I just don't want us to spend time chasing ghosts and pipedreams when there's an available player who can help. Yeah, his defense isn't great but he least competes. We don't currently have a ton of weak spots in our defense, we can come up with a scheme where we can hide Fournier a bit.

Fair point, I forgot about the salary change in two days.  That said, I think the Celtics are still better off seeing what's out there in a couple of weeks.  If Fournier fior nothing was ultimately the best they could do, I'll be at peace if they passed on it.

« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2022, 11:02:32 AM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 250
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
I will be very surprised if Brad makes any kind of deal or brings in anyone new. In the end they will settle for trying to develop Nesmith and PP.

I do not know about Nesmith developing that shot is horrible now PP for sure needs more mins.

« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2022, 11:07:05 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Saw on Realgm that shams is reporting denver sending Morris and Barton to the Wizards for KCP and Smith.

I'm guessing this is a cap move as both KCP and Smith have non-guaranteed amounts. One or both may be waived. I'd love to have Smith as a backup on this team. He always has an energy about him when he plays.

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saw on Realgm that shams is reporting denver sending Morris and Barton to the Wizards for KCP and Smith.

I'm guessing this is a cap move as both KCP and Smith have non-guaranteed amounts. One or both may be waived. I'd love to have Smith as a backup on this team. He always has an energy about him when he plays.

KCP is fully guaranteed, I think.

Man, I wish we could have gotten in on this somehow.  I would have loved to have Morris, and Barton would have filled a need, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189

I do not know about Nesmith developing that shot is horrible now PP for sure needs more mins.

Nesmith needs to slow down. He's only 22 but he needs to make a leap for sure.

« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2022, 11:31:33 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454

Well, get ready to be surprised.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:51:25 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2022, 11:32:17 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Neither are fully guaranteed, but to make the salaries match for the trade most (or all, haven’t done the math) of it needs to be, so I wouldn’t expect either to be waived.  Denver wouldn’t realize much savings, and would have a roster hole to fill.

It is a cap move in that Denver saves about $5 million, which gives them a little more flexibility, but it’s not a pure dump.

« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I'm looking forward to tomorrow and the start of free agency, and specifically how the Celtics try to improve the team. Do we need to wait another week or two before some free agents settle for the MLE? Will Brad get offers for the $17M TPE from teams trying to cut salary, because they could sign a potential free agent but need to get under the line to do so.

I'm also curious as to how (potential ring chasing) free agent view the Celtics. Do they view themselves as being the missing piece that could put the Celtics over the top. Or do they think the Celtics have no shot, after the best player was essentially shut down in the Finals.