Poll

Who should the C's draft if they land 4th? (no Doncic, Ayton or Bagley)

Bamba
Porter Jr.
Trae Young
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Collin Sexton
Other Prospect
We Have Enough Young Guys, Trade the Pick

Author Topic: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...  (Read 7791 times)

Re: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Porter having back surgery is scary at his age...be afraid to take him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Agree with those that say we should focus on using as centerpiece of package for AD.  It would be our best shot.  We also need to get some more salary with the DPE to include as filler in any such trade.  A long shot, but given commitment we have made to win now with Horford and Hayward signings, and Kyrie trade, drafting a 19 year old big as our starting 5 makes no sense at all.  As much as I like the quality of bigs in this coming draft....

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 03:13:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Are there any good draft and stash candidates?

With all of the young guys the Celts have on the team right now, plus needing to reintegrate Hayward next season, I think it might be best not to add any more young guys who will expect / need minutes right away.
with Boston's own pick that should be fairly easy as there are a number of internationa players projected in the late 1st/early 2nd (aside from the potential of an American born player doing that).  With the Lakers pick (if it conveys) Boston should get an impact player, as good or better than Tatum, and thus would have no need to stash said player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

With all of the young guys the Celts have on the team right now, plus needing to reintegrate Hayward next season, I think it might be best not to add any more young guys who will expect / need minutes right away.
with Boston's own pick that should be fairly easy as there are a number of internationa players projected in the late 1st/early 2nd (aside from the potential of an American born player doing that).  With the Lakers pick (if it conveys) Boston should get an impact player, as good or better than Tatum, and thus would have no need to stash said player.

First of all, Tatum is a major outlier in terms of immediate impact.

Second, I think it would be ideal to not have to integrate another major young piece on top of Hayward.

But these are first world problems, I admit.

In part I'm looking at the fact that this team is going to get very expensive very soon, especially if they resign smart, as I hope they will. So stashing a guy and pushing out the time when he would start costing the team more than rookie scale money would be ideal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I voted Bamba, mainly because I expect Porter to stay another year to play with his brother for a year. If Porter comes out we pick him though, undoubtedly.

Kyrie / TRo
Brown / ? (Maybe Smart)
Hayward / Morris / Ojeleye
Tatum / Porter Jr / Yabu
Horford / Baynes / Theis

That's a crazy dynamic team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 03:45:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I know some people love Bamba and think he plugs the last hole, but IMO, Porter is just a whole different level prospect from Bamba. I've watched all of them when I could this season, and I'd put Bamba as possibly no better than the 7th guy in this draft right now, behind the 3 in the title, Porter, Young, and maybe Jackson. 

What I do think is if the pick does convey, Danny will do something outside the conventional wisdom. Like trade down and draft someone most aren't thinking about, like Carter or Bridges. Or get the #2 pick and ignore the conventional wisdom and take Young or Porter. Or ignore need and take Doncic.

If we got #2/3 and had a shot a guarantee of either Bagley or Ayton, it won't surprise me at all if Danny passes and does something else entirely.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Bamba, though I was previously higher on him. I don't think he can be an impact player until year 4. At that point, Kyrie is 30, Hayward is 32, etc.

It doesn't match up with our timeline.

Young, on the other hand, does as a back up playmaker. I went Young. If we can't get Bagley or Doncic, I'm good with trading it too.

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/01/02/nba-mock-draft-2018-trae-young-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic

Thanks for this, I haven't been keeping up with the top prospects so that was a great read for me. Curious why they think we would take the only player that's not a big in the top? We already have 1-3 with young guys and we need bigs, odd pick on their part IMO. But I guess you go with BPA not sure Danny thinks a euro is the best.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Second, I think it would be ideal to not have to integrate another major young piece on top of Hayward.

In part I'm looking at the fact that this team is going to get very expensive very soon, especially if they resign smart, as I hope they will. So stashing a guy and pushing out the time when he would start costing the team more than rookie scale money would be ideal.
Tatum isn't really that much of an outlier when it comes to top 3 prospects.  Even in his draft, Ball came in with a pretty immediate impact and Fultz probably would have if he wasn't shut down.  Last year, Simmons was lost for the year, but Brown, while not as good as Tatum, still played valuable minutes, especially down the stretch (Ingram played a lot but was and still is raw).  In 2015, the top 4 picks (Towns, Russell, Okafor, and Porzingis) all had solid rookie seasons.  2014, Wiggins and Parker made immediate impacts (and Embiid would have had he not missed 2 seasons).  Sure you get a 2013 season every once in awhile, but those are far more the rarity than the norm.  If Boston ends up with a top 5 pick in this draft, Boston should absolutely expect that player to play valuable minutes and be a contributor. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I said Bamba but I'm a little surprised no one said Jaren Jackson. With his size and ability to shoot he could be the perfect modern big in the NBA. He's a bit of a project but a lot to like, there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I said Bamba but I'm a little surprised no one said Jaren Jackson. With his size and ability to shoot he could be the perfect modern big in the NBA. He's a bit of a project but a lot to like, there.

He's a perfect fit but people and scouts say his motor and his intangibles seem very inconsistent. Great player but I'm very high on him, if we decide to go for him, we would move down.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tatum isn't really that much of an outlier when it comes to top 3 prospects.  Even in his draft, Ball came in with a pretty immediate impact and Fultz probably would have if he wasn't shut down.  Last year, Simmons was lost for the year, but Brown, while not as good as Tatum, still played valuable minutes, especially down the stretch (Ingram played a lot but was and still is raw).  In 2015, the top 4 picks (Towns, Russell, Okafor, and Porzingis) all had solid rookie seasons.  2014, Wiggins and Parker made immediate impacts (and Embiid would have had he not missed 2 seasons).  Sure you get a 2013 season every once in awhile, but those are far more the rarity than the norm.  If Boston ends up with a top 5 pick in this draft, Boston should absolutely expect that player to play valuable minutes and be a contributor.
That seems pretty devoid of context regarding the situations all those other top picks were in. None of them were key cogs on the #1 team in their conference - in fact, most of those teams were basement dwellers. So it's certainly not wrong to say Tatum is an outlier.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tatum isn't really that much of an outlier when it comes to top 3 prospects. 

Tatum is top 5 in the 3 point era among rookies age 20 or younger in terms of WS/48.

He's an extreme outlier.

His rookie season so far is up there with all-time greats in terms of contributing to wins for a good team. 

Top Rookie 20 years old or younger since 1981 (3 point era), minimum 20 games, 18 mpg, by WS/48:

1. Nikola Jokic, age 20
2. Jayson Tatum, age 19
3. Magic Johnson, age 20
4. Chris Paul, age 20
5. Andre Drummond, age 19

Note that Win Shares per 48 is heavily weighted toward big men, so Jokic & Drummond are probably a bit overrated on this list.

The most recent player comparable to Tatum who had an impact on winning like this is Kawhi Leonard in 2012, and he was only playing 20 minutes a night, whereas Tatum is playing 31 a night.

Kawhi, Magic, Chris Paul .... that's super elite company when we're talking about rookie season impact.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:33:37 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Porter. I would understand DA going in another direction though as team has Brown, Hayward and Tatum.

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would trade up to get Doncic. #4 pick, Memphis pick, 2018 and 2020 Boston pick for Doncic. Of course that's for the #1 pick. Probably take off a Boston pick or two if you have to trade up to 2 or 3.