Author Topic: Nader is actually traded to okc  (Read 8805 times)

Re: Nader is actually traded to okc
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
At this point, I can’t see anything other than a Marcus Morris deal as a realistic option to get us under the tax threshold, so the move basically means nothing.
Assuming we

- resign Bird on a 2-year vet minimum contract
- trade Rozier for future pick(s) + salary relief

we end up $38,776 under the tax line.

Not sure whether trading Rozier for such a package qualifies as a realistic option, but it's definitely an option.

edit: Nevermind. Seems that it ain't possible after all.

Players who were not drafted and make less than the two year veteran's minimum salary count at that two year vet minimum for tax purposes. This means that Daniel Theis and Brad Wanamaker, in total, add ~$800k to the tax bill above their cap value.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/91haa4/the_celtics_will_be_25m_over_the_tax_line_not/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:50:19 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 07:57:20 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I say Never Nervous Purvis 2 will be release this week
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
The front page article said the following:

"It takes a little out of the bank that Boston could offer to buy a pick at the 2019 NBA Draft, but that’s hardly a worry. The team has enough draft picks coming, that buying one probably isn’t a concern."

Is there a limit to the amount that the Celtics can spend to buy a pick?

Thanks,
Mike

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

"It takes a little out of the bank that Boston could offer to buy a pick at the 2019 NBA Draft, but that’s hardly a worry. The team has enough draft picks coming, that buying one probably isn’t a concern."

Thanks,
Mike

A bit over $5 million.  Certainly the Celtics paid no more than $675k to move Nader, as that was the tax bill for just waiving him outright.  With up to 4 firsts, the Celtics aren’t likely to buy a pick this year anyway.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I say Never Nervous Purvis 2 will be release this week
According to Keith Smith ''The Celtics will ultimately waive Rodney Purvis, who is fully non-guaranteed''.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1021561747294048259

Thanks,
Mike
Teams are only allowed to send/receive as much as $5,243,000 in trades in this league year.

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1021565793572716545

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Quote from: Keith Smith
The Boston Celtics trading Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder instead of simply waiving him, will save Boston $450K and take them further under the luxury tax. The Celtics will ultimately waive Rodney Purvis, who is fully non-guaranteed.
This really brings us "closer to" the luxury tax, rather than "further under" the luxury tax.

I'm curious why OKC wanted Nader instead of Purvis' non-guaranteed salary.  Do they plan to give Nader a spot in their rotation?

Nader costs less against the luxury tax.  He saves OKC $790k at their current tax rate, plus they probably get a little cash from the C’s.

If Nader does cost less than Purvis and saves some OKC lux tax, makes perfect sense for OKC to make the trade, win - win.

Salty - just curious why you say Nader costs OKC less.  The salary sites I have been to (Basketball Insiders, & Keith P Smith) list them as the same salary - 1,378,242

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He's going to turn into a 29 point, 6 assist folk hero.   :laugh:

Are those his career totals?

Those assists seem way too high for career totals.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 10:58:40 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
The Celtics are finalizing trade to send Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Rodney Purvis, league sources tell Yahoo. Boston decided to part ways with Nader over weekend, worked trade to OKC.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1021561118098120704?s=21

well shucks there goes our season! ;)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
The Boston Celtics trading Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder instead of simply waiving him, will save Boston $450K and take them further under the luxury tax. The Celtics will ultimately waive Rodney Purvis, who is fully non-guaranteed.
This really brings us "closer to" the luxury tax, rather than "further under" the luxury tax.

I'm curious why OKC wanted Nader instead of Purvis' non-guaranteed salary.  Do they plan to give Nader a spot in their rotation?

Nader costs less against the luxury tax.  He saves OKC $790k at their current tax rate, plus they probably get a little cash from the C’s.

If Nader does cost less than Purvis and saves some OKC lux tax, makes perfect sense for OKC to make the trade, win - win.

Salty - just curious why you say Nader costs OKC less.  The salary sites I have been to (Basketball Insiders, & Keith P Smith) list them as the same salary - 1,378,242

Players who were signed as free agents, as Purvis was, count at the two-year minimum for tax purposes if their salary is otherwise less than that.  So Purvis’ salary for tax purposes was $1.544 million, whereas Nader’s, who was signed with draft rights, counts for what he actually signed for, which is the 1-year minimum this year.  Because OKC is at such a high tax rate, that small difference between the 1 and 2-year vet minimums comes to nearly $800k.

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 11:07:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Look at Insiders more carefully. About halfway down the Boston Salary page you can see all the deadlines for guarantees, extensions, QOs, (although not Player Options etc., which I presume are all standard, but I don't know when that is).

You can see that 450K was previously guaranteed (I think that became guaranteed sometime in the last two weeks or so, and hence Insiders just remove that past deadline), but you can see that the remainder was due to guarantee on 1 August 2018.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Look at Insiders more carefully. About halfway down the Boston Salary page you can see all the deadlines for guarantees, extensions, QOs, (although not Player Options etc., which I presume are all standard, but I don't know when that is).

You can see that 450K was previously guaranteed (I think that became guaranteed sometime in the last two weeks or so, and hence Insiders just remove that past deadline), but you can see that the remainder was due to guarantee on 1 August 2018.

No, his question was about why, even with the same salaries, Nader and Purvis have different tax hits, which I explain above.  Nader’s $450k was guaranteed when he signed the deal — the first guarantee date is the one next week.

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 05:33:54 PM »

Offline willyd24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Actually kind of bummed they are going to waive Purvis. I'm a UCONN graduate and I actually met him a couple of times since we had a mutual friend and I also watched him play a ton. He's a really nice guy and he went through his fair share of ups and downs at UCONN but when he was on he could really pile up the baskets.

Never thought of him as an NBA player but he played phenomenal in the G-League for Orlando and when they called him up to the NBA he had a couple of really good games for them. I understand that it is a move to get under the salary cap but when he's hot he can score lots of buckets so I'm bummed we couldn't give him a shot to be a spark off the bench especially since we could probably offer him next to nothing and he'd take it but wherever he ends up I hope he gets the chance to play.

Would love to see him land with Charlotte since he is from North Carolina and he could play with fellow UCONN players Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 05:46:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Actually kind of bummed they are going to waive Purvis. I'm a UCONN graduate and I actually met him a couple of times since we had a mutual friend and I also watched him play a ton. He's a really nice guy and he went through his fair share of ups and downs at UCONN but when he was on he could really pile up the baskets.

Never thought of him as an NBA player but he played phenomenal in the G-League for Orlando and when they called him up to the NBA he had a couple of really good games for them. I understand that it is a move to get under the salary cap but when he's hot he can score lots of buckets so I'm bummed we couldn't give him a shot to be a spark off the bench especially since we could probably offer him next to nothing and he'd take it but wherever he ends up I hope he gets the chance to play.

Would love to see him land with Charlotte since he is from North Carolina and he could play with fellow UCONN players Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb.

I guess it would technically be possible for the Celtics to give him a shot at earning a 2-way spot or a place in Maine in training camp, but I imagine they’ll work with him to give him a chance to find a better landing spot this summer, since there’s no room here.

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
headed to OK

and then back to Egyptian league.

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The Celtics are finalizing trade to send Abdel Nader to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Rodney Purvis, league sources tell Yahoo. Boston decided to part ways with Nader over weekend, worked trade to OKC.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1021561118098120704?s=21

well shucks there goes our season! ;)

you ll get over it  :)