Author Topic: Pelicans (26-20) at Celtics (35-11) Game #47 1/29/24  (Read 11209 times)

Re: Pelicans (26-20) at Celtics (35-11) Game #47 1/29/24
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2024, 11:28:34 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
if Denver does us a favor tonight there will only be one team in the league within 3 losses of us

mission accomplished!

« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2024, 12:57:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Listened to Joe's presser and he was a little testy about what he called (and I paraphrase) "the entitlement that the Celtics should just be rolling out playing a perfect game blowing out teams and racking up wins". When he was asked about what was different about this latest comeback, he said "I just hope it happens ten more times, so that we can get rid of the entitlement that we're always supposed to be winning...I hope we blow leads, I hope all that happens, I really do...I feel like at times we're supposed to be winning all the time and it's just not the case...you can be losing even if you're playing good basketball because the result isn't being achieved, or you could be losing because you suck...I thought we sucked in the first quarter, we were losing because we weren't getting the result in the 2nd quarter, and there's a difference there"

Then he was asked again about the entitlement, and he clarified it wasn't the team, just the narrative around the team, that they're supposed to be perfect and not make mistakes. And why people are making a big deal out of them having to earn a win, battle for a win, because it's the NBA, doesn't matter if the opponent is 5-20 or unbeaten, it's going to be just as hard tomorrow.

Said that he likes games like tonight where they win where not everything goes their way because that's the only way they will build resilience when things go south, he hopes it happens 10 more times.

The entire interview is worth watching, he was in fine form, but I linked specifically to his first comment about entitlement below, and then the next link is to the next question he got on it where he went on to talk about trying to build resilience.

https://youtu.be/J0k_DIm130Y?si=a19avHDGkfVWwUlD&t=107

https://youtu.be/J0k_DIm130Y?si=_I3s4KY8AKFX5N6D&t=221

Does he have a point? Are we expecting perfection from our team and wanting blowouts every game? I guess as fans that would be perfect  :angel: but I guess as a coach or a player you want to be put under pressure so you can learn how to react when it is applied to you. And since we all hate Joe, if it was Pop that said this, would it be a good point? Are we an entitled fan base?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2024, 12:59:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2024, 08:05:40 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Listened to Joe's presser and he was a little testy about what he called (and I paraphrase) "the entitlement that the Celtics should just be rolling out playing a perfect game blowing out teams and racking up wins". When he was asked about what was different about this latest comeback, he said "I just hope it happens ten more times, so that we can get rid of the entitlement that we're always supposed to be winning...I hope we blow leads, I hope all that happens, I really do...I feel like at times we're supposed to be winning all the time and it's just not the case...you can be losing even if you're playing good basketball because the result isn't being achieved, or you could be losing because you suck...I thought we sucked in the first quarter, we were losing because we weren't getting the result in the 2nd quarter, and there's a difference there"

Then he was asked again about the entitlement, and he clarified it wasn't the team, just the narrative around the team, that they're supposed to be perfect and not make mistakes. And why people are making a big deal out of them having to earn a win, battle for a win, because it's the NBA, doesn't matter if the opponent is 5-20 or unbeaten, it's going to be just as hard tomorrow.

Said that he likes games like tonight where they win where not everything goes their way because that's the only way they will build resilience when things go south, he hopes it happens 10 more times.

The entire interview is worth watching, he was in fine form, but I linked specifically to his first comment about entitlement below, and then the next link is to the next question he got on it where he went on to talk about trying to build resilience.

https://youtu.be/J0k_DIm130Y?si=a19avHDGkfVWwUlD&t=107

https://youtu.be/J0k_DIm130Y?si=_I3s4KY8AKFX5N6D&t=221

Does he have a point? Are we expecting perfection from our team and wanting blowouts every game? I guess as fans that would be perfect  :angel: but I guess as a coach or a player you want to be put under pressure so you can learn how to react when it is applied to you. And since we all hate Joe, if it was Pop that said this, would it be a good point? Are we an entitled fan base?

This is a rhetorical question, right?

« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2024, 10:56:24 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

It would have been a good point no matter who said it.

I'm not sure why this fanbase seems so unhappy half the time, given the talent on the roster, and the several-game-lead on the rest of the NBA in the standings, and the fact that we're simultaneously arguing whether we deserve a THIRD representative at the all-star game.  Every loss is treated as the worst affront to man, Jaylen's an overpaid bum, Joe is in over his head, etc etc.  The worst of the doom-and-gloom is typically confined to game threads where people tend to be overly emotional, that's one thing, but when it bleeds over into more rational topics I begin to question whether people actually even enjoy rooting for this franchise.  Some people here only seem happy if we're beating good teams by 30.  A few people here aren't even happy with that.  So you tell me:  are we entitled?

The part I haven't isolated is whether this is just a thing league-wide now.  I don't have a ton of discourse with rival fans, but for example, I've increasingly noticed that everybody thinks their own coach is the worst POS in the history of the league.  Last I checked, there can only be one "worst coach in the NBA", but I think 20 fanbases have claimed the title.  So maybe everybody is just miserable now, I don't know. 

« Reply #335 on: January 30, 2024, 11:12:44 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
People are not entitled. Some fans are just nervous we'll see another collapse because this team reverts to playing like it did last year.
Given our record against top teams isn't all that impressive, losses and bad play are going to look more pronounced.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #336 on: January 30, 2024, 11:55:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I'm not sure why this fanbase seems so unhappy half the time, given the talent on the roster, and the several-game-lead on the rest of the NBA in the standings, and the fact that we're simultaneously arguing whether we deserve a THIRD representative at the all-star game.  Every loss is treated as the worst affront to man, Jaylen's an overpaid bum, Joe is in over his head, etc etc.  The worst of the doom-and-gloom is typically confined to game threads where people tend to be overly emotional, that's one thing, but when it bleeds over into more rational topics I begin to question whether people actually even enjoy rooting for this franchise.  Some people here only seem happy if we're beating good teams by 30.  A few people here aren't even happy with that.  So you tell me:  are we entitled?

The part I haven't isolated is whether this is just a thing league-wide now.  I don't have a ton of discourse with rival fans, but for example, I've increasingly noticed that everybody thinks their own coach is the worst POS in the history of the league.  Last I checked, there can only be one "worst coach in the NBA", but I think 20 fanbases have claimed the title.  So maybe everybody is just miserable now, I don't know.
It's very simple.

As a fandom, we are happy when the ball goes in the hoop.

When the ball doesn't go in the hoop, we are sad.

If there is a sustained period (or half, or game) when the ball doesn't go in the hoop, we are very sad, even if the team can claw back a win as the game goes on. Because the ball has not gone in the hoop, and that has made us sad. And people who make us sad must be punished, if only through posts on the internet.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2024, 12:12:54 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680

It's very simple.

If there is a sustained period (or half, or game) when the ball doesn't go in the hoop, we are very sad, even if the team can claw back a win as the game goes on. Because the ball has not gone in the hoop, and that has made us sad. And people who make us sad must be punished, if only through posts on the internet.

You know what?  Fair.  Maybe that's why people are so against the three-point focus.  Ball go in hoop less, even though ball worth more when does go in hoop. 

TP for the laugh.

« Reply #338 on: January 30, 2024, 12:37:23 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
People are not entitled. Some fans are just nervous we'll see another collapse because this team reverts to playing like it did last year.
Given our record against top teams isn't all that impressive, losses and bad play are going to look more pronounced.

Not singling you out, because others have said the same, but it’s factually false.

http://www.backsportspage.com/the-celtics-are-dominating-will-it-last/

The Celtics have owned the league’s best record for pretty much the entire season. Almost every statistic, from advanced numbers to tracking data, reinforces the Celtics record not as a fluke but as a sign of dominance. Take a look, for instance, at the Celtics record vs teams with a .500 or better winning percentage (The Celtics are 21-9 versus those opponents), and the case becomes even stronger. Not only are they winning, but they are beating the most formidable teams. Similarly, the Celtics have handled their business against lesser teams (15-2 versus opponents under .500).

Last year the Celtics had a .685 win record versus teams over .500 and its .725 as of today. They’ve had the best record against winning teams since the season started.

To think otherwise is bias. Must be that darned old “Eye Test?”

« Reply #339 on: January 31, 2024, 03:16:04 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

It's very simple.

You know what?  Fair.  Maybe that's why people are so against the three-point focus.  Ball go in hoop less, even though ball worth more when does go in hoop

TP for the laugh.

That actually makes sense...because our degree of happiness doesn't increase proportionately to the value of the ball going in the hoop...and if the next shot doesn't go in then we are sad again anyway because the previous shot is forgotten  :police:

« Reply #340 on: January 31, 2024, 05:00:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Most fan bases would be thrilled with how this team has played this year and in the past years. We made the finals and the eastern conference finals. The team looks like the best in the league so far this year. I complain with the best in the game threads as games are being played but as a whole this year has been a great one so far.

« Reply #341 on: January 31, 2024, 05:02:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Most fan bases would be thrilled with how this team has played this year and in the past years. We made the finals and the eastern conference finals. The team looks like the best in the league so far this year. I complain with the best in the game threads as games are being played but as a whole this year has been a great one so far.
This team feels like 2008. Road to the title.

« Reply #342 on: January 31, 2024, 05:06:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yup.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2024, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

It has that feel...

« Reply #344 on: January 31, 2024, 05:28:10 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811

Yup.

Anything is possible!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain