Author Topic: Why is Bill Russell better than MJ?  (Read 86055 times)

Re: Why is Bill Russell better than MJ?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
LeBron changed his jersey number from 23 to 6 because MJ wasn't good enough for him anymore and he wanted to honor Russell.

Check and Mate.

;D

The messiah isn't that deep a thinker.

--------------------

Unlike Jordan, Russell wasn't officiated by his own set of rules.  While thinking Jordan would have been a better player than he was without the help...We'll never know for sure.    Russell didn't get the help of star calls and bias.  Russell didn't need it.  He simply dominated the court defensively and on the glass.  

Jordan played in the ultimate water downed league.   He wasn't going against Wilt one night...Bellamy the next...Thurmond the next..Etc like Russell.  Russell was essentially the winner of a barfight every night and the ultimate winner at the end of just about every season he played.  Russell wasn't the beneficiary of phantom calls, extra steps, defensive hacks etc.  He simply dominated against better competition.

If Jordan or Lebron were born in the 1930's they wouldn't be Jordan or Lebron.

If you transplanted Jordan or Lebron, through time travel, they'd crush the league in the 50's and 60's.

It would be like the Wolf in Teen Wolf...dominating the game on both sides of the ball.

.......And they would have been beheaded by the Bellamys, Thurmonds, Chamberlains, Johnsons at the first sign of showboating.

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
The question that is asked here, and the question that is always asked, simply is player 'A' better than player 'B'.

In this case, is Russell better then Jordan.

It's not putting all the caveats in, like nutrition, healthcare, sports medicine, athletic gear, training equipment, knowledge, travel and accommodations.  We know that makes guys better.

It's like saying, who is a healthier person.  A person who smoked, drank, and didn't exercise and lived in the 1950's, or a person who exercises, doesn't drink or smoke, and lives in 2011.  You can't argue that the person in the 50's is as healthy because they didn't know any better.  The cold facts are that the modern person is healthier.  And yes, it is because of all advances made.

So we come back to the original question and answer.

Jordan was a better basketball player than Bill Russell was.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Its just an impossible question to answer. Its really hard to compare the two because of the differences they bring to the table. You can easily say that Jordan has more talent in many different areas, and was more influencial on the game while saying Russell had more rings and changed the landscape of how big men ruled the paint... You could also say that Jordan had to play against a much bigger field of players...I mean the argument could go on and on and on.

I dunno talent wise I go Jordan, but that could just be because I remember seeing him play.

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Did Jordan play in a much more watered down league than Russell?  Yes.  But I'd argue that it doesn't matter much in the debate.  Russell had a much stronger team, but played much stronger competition.  Jordan had a much weaker team, but played much weaker competition (I mean Luc Longley couldn't even make some NBA rosters in today's league, let alone start on a championship contender).  

I also don't buy this athleticism B.S.  First, Russell could jump out of the gym.  Second, if you brought Jordan back to the '60s, he wouldn't have had the access to the training he had in the '90s.  Similarly, if Russell played in the '90s, he'd probably have 25 lbs more of muscle due to more modern training/weight lifting methods.  

Here's what I do buy: the reason that Jordan was so overrated was because he was lucky to play in a stretch where no other transcendent superstar was in his prime.  

Think about it, if you had to name your greatest 10-15 players of all time, who would they be?  

Russell
Wilt
West
Robertson
Magic
Bird
Jabbar
Erving
Olajuwon
Jordan
Duncan
Shaq
Kobe

That's 12 right there.  Here's the problem.  Russell had to contend with Wilt (and West and Robertson), Bird had to contend with Magic, Jabbar, and Erving.  Duncan had to contend with Shaq and Kobe.  Jordan had to contend with...well, some might say Olajuwon; however, Jordan and Olajuwon never faced each other in the playoffs.  (and Bird and Magic were fading by the time Jordan won a title, and Shaq hadn't matured while Jordan was still playing).  

And that to me is the huge problem with declaring Jordan unquestionably the greatest player of all time.  His first title he beats an aging Magic Johnson.  His second title he beats Drexler.  His third title he beats Barkley.  His fourth he beats Kemp and Payton.  And his last two he beats Malone and Stockton.  

Don't get me wrong.  That's very impressive.  And while Drexler, Barkley, and Malone are hardly names to scoff at.  If they were really in the same class as the players on my aforementioned list, one would think they would've had more finals appearances.  

And here's the crux of my argument.  While the argument that Jordan would have 8 titles if he never retired (though also keep in mind that he would've had to face Olajuwon, something that could've been very problematic with Longley and Bill Wennington in the post), I question how many titles Jordan would've won if he had had a consistent transcendent opponent to match up against.  

Now I'm not suggesting that the '86 Celtics or '62 Celtics would've clobbered the Bulls.  Clearly that's the case.  They were much better and deeper teams.  What I'm suggesting is this: what would've happened if the '91 Lakers team had the Magic of 6 years earlier?  What would happen if the '92 Blazers had Kobe in his prime instead of Clyde?  Or what would've happened if Larry Bird was with the Suns instead of Sir Charles?  Or Kareem paired with Gary Payton instead of Shawn Kemp.  Or Duncan in the post with Stockton instead of Karl Malone?  

I think if that had happened, we might be talking about Jordan winning, at best, half the titles he did.  And that's still very impressive and that would still put him in the discussion for greatest player of all time.  However, I don't think the general public would view it to be so cut and dry.  

Also, one last minor point, while I think Jordan had outstanding defensive ability, he was essentially the Derek Jeter of Defensive Teams the last half of his career.  Playing with Pippen meant that Jordan ALWAYS guarded the opposition's weaker wing.  And once Ron Harper came along, Jordan usually guarded the opponent's weakest offensive player of the 1-3 positions.  To me, if you're going to guard the weakest player on the floor consistently, you shouldn't be making defensive teams.  

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's no put down to Michael Jordan to call him the second greatest basketball player ever.  It's an honor to him that he came that close to our Russell.

No, but it's a put down to Larry Bird (among others).

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 01:15:18 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I don't think anybody has ever been as great as Jordan on both sides of the ball, but neither has anybody ever been greater than Russell was defensively.  

I'm with you on this.   Jordan most likely would have won 6 championships in a row if he didn't take any time off.  Granted it was a watered down league a little at the time however you could make the case it's much harder to win in a 30 team league than what a 10 team league in the 60s before the ABA merger.  Jordan also didn't have the teammates Russell had as well.  Saying all that it's hard for me to go against Russell in this debate.  

I would argue that Jordan would have won at least 9 Championships in a row.  I also firmly believe he would have won one more if he didn't retire before the lockout shortened season.  After that, the Lakers could have been a more formidable matchup with Shaqs dominance, but I believe 10 in a row for Jordan was possible. 

Then when it becomes an argument of MJ's 10 vs Russell's 11, I don't think there's much difference, so then you truly have to focus more on other parts of their game, and while Russell was more dominant defensively, Jordan was right behind him, but Jordan of course was the greatest offensive player of all time, so he has to have the edge. 

I'm saying all this as a die-hard Celtics fan.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 01:33:11 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I am always kind of surprised by how everyone equates athleticism to greatness and so often discounts intelligence. If two players are about the same height, weight and jumping ability and one routinely 'throws down' on everyone but the other is smart enough to cover him at the top of the key and cut off his driving lane, who then is the better player?

Was Larry Bird an inferior player to Dominique because he wasn't nearly as athletic? Is Rondo a much better baller then Stockton because he is? Actually, I might argue that one myself but you see where I am going. Sports are not just athleticism and attitude. With the exceptional ones, it's also intelligence.

By the way, in case you are wondering, Russell was every bit as athletic as Jordan and probably then some.

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think anybody has ever been as great as Jordan on both sides of the ball, but neither has anybody ever been greater than Russell was defensively.  

I'm with you on this.   Jordan most likely would have won 6 championships in a row if he didn't take any time off.  Granted it was a watered down league a little at the time however you could make the case it's much harder to win in a 30 team league than what a 10 team league in the 60s before the ABA merger.  Jordan also didn't have the teammates Russell had as well.  Saying all that it's hard for me to go against Russell in this debate.  

I would argue that Jordan would have won at least 9 Championships in a row.  I also firmly believe he would have won one more if he didn't retire before the lockout shortened season.  After that, the Lakers could have been a more formidable matchup with Shaqs dominance, but I believe 10 in a row for Jordan was possible. 

Then when it becomes an argument of MJ's 10 vs Russell's 11, I don't think there's much difference, so then you truly have to focus more on other parts of their game, and while Russell was more dominant defensively, Jordan was right behind him, but Jordan of course was the greatest offensive player of all time, so he has to have the edge. 

I'm saying all this as a die-hard Celtics fan.
I don't think Jordan was "right behind him" defensively.  Jordan was a great defender, but he didn't change the entire game defensively.  He did a great job on his man.  Russell guarded everybody's man.

Still, I'd give the overall edge to Jordan as the greatest ever.

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

It's no put down to Michael Jordan to call him the second greatest basketball player ever.  It's an honor to him that he came that close to our Russell.

Do you believe that Bird was a better player than MJ?

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Do you believe that Bird was a better player than MJ?

Yes.

Edit: A healthy Bird, that is.

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
From what I've read Russell is a faster, shorter, better shotblocking KG with worse scoring.

IMO, that's not better than Jordan.

The athleticism gap between guys like Russell, Wilt, and the rest of the NBA was probably huge. I think most would agree that they would not be as effective in Jordan's era or today as they were in the 1950s. While Russell would still be a top athlete in any era the gap would be a lot smaller between him and other guys.

I have to admit I'm very bias against pre-80s basketball. I think Rondo would be Bob Cousy's worst nightmare on a bball court. I just don't think those guys had the athletes to keep up with todays guys. For the most part I think players from the 1950s jumping to the modern game would look like JJ Reddick when he made his jump to the pros.

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I agree with this statement, however, Russell's contributions and capabilities on the offensive end are grossly underrated.

Russell scored when he needed to and his dominance on the defensive end was so overwhelming that it actually downplayed his true scoring abilities.

Two great examples on no less a stage than Game 7 of two NBA finals:

1. In '66 vs the Fakers, Russ had 25 points and 32 rebounds.

2. In '62 he had 30 points and 40 rebounds.

To me, Russ was the more dominant player. I'm not sure if that is how you define "better" player, but it is to me.

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
From what I've read Russell is a faster, shorter, better shotblocking KG with worse scoring.

You should have said, "From what I've read, KG is a slower, taller, worse shotblocker than Russell with better scoring."

KG is still a hall of famer/one of the greatest defensive minds ever to play the game. Given that, Bill Russell is still so much more better than him. That's saying a lot.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
these arguments go round and round and seldom are resolved.  reason being:

-different eras
-different positions
-different rules of the game during their respective era
-technology

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Russell is the better team player, the better defender, the better basketball mind, and had to face the then so-called "greatest player", Wilt Chamberlain.

You can compare Wilt and MJ, but you can't compare neither of them to Russell. Wilt and Jordan, athletic freaks, talented and scoring machines, but not as dominant as Bill Russell. If the Celtics were just a bit luckier between 1986 and 1996, MJ could have been just a better Clyde Drexler. Bird and McHale career ending injuries, and the passing of Bias and Reggie Lewis destroyed what could have been the greatest team in Celtics history. You can also argue that if Sam Bowie or Ralph Sampson had played to their potential without those injuries, the Blazers and Rockets would have been a lot harder to beat. Even with the disaster of a coach Adelman was those days, the Blazers would have been too good for da Bulls.

One of my favorite videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni7t4swtdYw

The Nike and ESPN and Stern marketing machine built the MJ legend as the GOAT. He is in the top 4, right there with Bird and Magic, but he isn't in the Russell conversation. Just my opinion.