Poll

Would You?

Yes. He's A Big Headcase & A Clown And/Or I'd Much Rather Simply Re-Sign Baynes. Keep Him Away From Here!
29 (43.9%)
No. I'd Take The Gamble And Hope He Can Contribute Well To A Title Run
37 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Hypothetically, If We Signed Dwight Howard To Minimum, Would You Be Upset?  (Read 10549 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes I'd be upset because he wouldn't be happy in the limited role he'd have on this team given how often the C's will be playing Horford at the 5.

He as proven he cannot handle being a positive presence in a bigger role and chafes at suggestion to change to a more complimentary one.

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
You're on a roll on this issue Roy...love the Brady Bunch comparisons.

Almost want to see him join the team just to prove you wrong...because I believe if he does become a Celtic it's because Danny and Brad will know he's changed, and worthy of another chance.  It seems wearing the green can bring out the best in a lot of people.

I can live with or without him...but as I said earlier, IF our leaders feel he is going to fit, I have no fears.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
People realize that Howard complained to the media about his lack of touches in Orlando, LA, Houston and Atlanta, right?

Yet he’ll be just fine as a 5th option here?

If we're operating under the hypothetical that he signs here for the vet min, that means he's passing on places that would pay him more money and give him more touches.  That would say something to me about how he feels about the need to get touches.  Also, if he signs here for any amount of money I would trust that Danny and Brad have taken long hard looks into gauging how he'll fit in.

So under this hypothetical, no I wouldn't be upset.  We've brought in lots of players before like Shaq, Sheed, Kris Humphries, KG, Darko Milicic, Sam Cassell, Stephon Marbury... some of them being older vets who you couldn't imagine settling for fewer touches/lesser role and some of them having very questionable attitudes.  Some of them worked out just fine, some didn't work out at all, but none of them you look back at like "Man, I can't believe we signed that guy for the vet min, he destroyed our entire team".

I disagree with the first part of your thought process.  It's just putting the most positive, optimistic spin on the circumstance.

Carmelo Anthony waived his NTC to go to OKC, that means he was ready to take on a lesser role and be a team player.

Allen Iverson signed a contract with Memphis, that means he was willing to come off the bench and be a team player.

Larry Sanders signed a minimum contract with Cleveland to come out of retirement, that shows he seriously wants to play basketball again.

Darko Milicic singed a minimum contract with Boston, that means he's willing to come off the bench and accept a backup role.

If Dwight was willing to accept a vet minimum contract from the C's, it just means the teams he wants to play aren't offering him more money.  It doesn't mean he's turned over a new leaf or will be happy with less touches/being less involved.  Even if he explicitly says he'd be happy with a reduced role, it doesn't make it true.  Players spew that team-first-I-just-want-to-win lip service all the time, when you know it's more often than not a lie.  Iverson and Darko said they were willing to be backups and didn't last a week.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He's a pain in the ass.

PASS

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
People realize that Howard complained to the media about his lack of touches in Orlando, LA, Houston and Atlanta, right?

Yet he’ll be just fine as a 5th option here?

If we're operating under the hypothetical that he signs here for the vet min, that means he's passing on places that would pay him more money and give him more touches.  That would say something to me about how he feels about the need to get touches.  Also, if he signs here for any amount of money I would trust that Danny and Brad have taken long hard looks into gauging how he'll fit in.

So under this hypothetical, no I wouldn't be upset.  We've brought in lots of players before like Shaq, Sheed, Kris Humphries, KG, Darko Milicic, Sam Cassell, Stephon Marbury... some of them being older vets who you couldn't imagine settling for fewer touches/lesser role and some of them having very questionable attitudes.  Some of them worked out just fine, some didn't work out at all, but none of them you look back at like "Man, I can't believe we signed that guy for the vet min, he destroyed our entire team".

I disagree with the first part of your thought process.  It's just putting the most positive, optimistic spin on the circumstance.

Carmelo Anthony waived his NTC to go to OKC, that means he was ready to take on a lesser role and be a team player.

Allen Iverson signed a contract with Memphis, that means he was willing to come off the bench and be a team player.

Larry Sanders signed a minimum contract with Cleveland to come out of retirement, that shows he seriously wants to play basketball again.

Darko Milicic singed a minimum contract with Boston, that means he's willing to come off the bench and accept a backup role.

If Dwight was willing to accept a vet minimum contract from the C's, it just means the teams he wants to play aren't offering him more money.  It doesn't mean he's turned over a new leaf or will be happy with less touches/being less involved.  Even if he explicitly says he'd be happy with a reduced role, it doesn't make it true.  Players spew that team-first-I-just-want-to-win lip service all the time, when you know it's more often than not a lie.  Iverson and Darko said they were willing to be backups and didn't last a week.

100% agree on all points, except if Ainge signs Howard, I completely trust that Stevens/Ainge both weighed the pros/cons and came to a conclusion that Dwight could turn it around.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Here’s how I see Dwight Howard.

He’s the hot girl from high school. She’s kind of dumb and annoying, but she’s incredibly hot, so nobody cares.  Her boyfriend puts up with all the negatives, until she tries to “trade up”, cheating on her boyfriend in an epic breakup.

In college, same thing. Still hot, still cheats.

At 25, she’s looking like she spent too much time tanning and smoking cigarettes. Still hot, but a bit “rode hard and put away wet”. Her personality still sucks, and she still cheats.

At 30, she’s got 4 kids with fathers unknown. She’s a regular at the local bar, where she’s popular with 50 year old bar flys.

Now, she’s 35. Recently she got herself back in shape, she got a makeover. She says she’s sick of losers, she’s interested in settling down.

So, what do you think? You’re Mike Brady, with three boys at home. Do you invite her in?

If yes, you want D12.

Yes, because she will be on a short leash (vet. minimum). Im not committing to her long term, atleast not yet. Not until I see her actually fully reformed. But until then, I wouldn't mind hanging out with a SMOKING HOT girl.

If she reverted into the crazy chick that we know, then I'll end the connection. Seems pretty easy, seeming as I have not invested a lit of time on it. But if she turns out good and refomed, my god. Not only will the nights be so much better (because im doing it with a hot woman now), but who knows, maybe the relationship becomes amenable enough, we end up having a beautiful kid we continue on.

And we'll name the kid 18.

Old dogs vs. new tricks, leopards vs. changing spots, “if the milk’s sour in the morning it will be sour in the afternoon”, fool me twice shame on me, etc., etc.

Fair, except that, again, this is not going to cost us a lot of money to try.

The fact that he's willing to come in for the minimum when he could have just stayed in Brooklyn should be one of the telling signs that maybe he could actually be willing to work within a system now. Dude is passing on $24 million to play for the minimum for a contender. Surely he knows what he needs to do.

And again, what are the risks? $2.5 million? A roster spot? Is it really a lot to give up for a guy who is a still a very good Center in this league?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

He’s the hot girl from high school. She’s kind of dumb and annoying, but she’s incredibly hot, so nobody cares.  Her boyfriend puts up with all the negatives, until she tries to “trade up”, cheating on her boyfriend in an epic breakup.

At 25, she’s looking like she spent too much time tanning and smoking cigarettes. Still hot, but a bit “rode hard and put away wet”. Her personality still sucks, and she still cheats.

At 30, she’s got 4 kids with fathers unknown. She’s a regular at the local bar, where she’s popular with 50 year old bar flys.

Now, she’s 35. Recently she got herself back in shape, she got a makeover. She says she’s sick of losers, she’s interested in settling down.

So, what do you think? You’re Mike Brady, with three boys at home. Do you invite her in?

If yes, you want D12.

Yes, because she will be on a short leash (vet. minimum). Im not committing to her long term, atleast not yet. Not until I see her actually fully reformed. But until then, I wouldn't mind hanging out with a SMOKING HOT girl.

If she reverted into the crazy chick that we know, then I'll end the connection. Seems pretty easy, seeming as I have not invested a lit of time on it. But if she turns out good and refomed, my god. Not only will the nights be so much better (because im doing it with a hot woman now), but who knows, maybe the relationship becomes amenable enough, we end up having a beautiful kid we continue on.

Old dogs vs. new tricks, leopards vs. changing spots, “if the milk’s sour in the morning it will be sour in the afternoon”, fool me twice shame on me, etc., etc.

The fact that he's willing to come in for the minimum when he could have just stayed in Brooklyn should be one of the telling signs that maybe he could actually be willing to work within a system now. Dude is passing on $24 million to play for the minimum for a contender. Surely he knows what he needs to do.

And again, what are the risks? $2.5 million? A roster spot? Is it really a lot to give up for a guy who is a still a very good Center in this league?

He is NOT passing on $24M. He may give up a portion of it (some of which he will get back wherever he signs).

It’s another diva move by him. He’s turning into Carmelo Anthony.

He wanted to go to Brooklyn, then he didn’t, then he did again, now that he’s there, he wants a buyout because they are bad.

He seems like the ideal type to run to Golden State to try to hitch onto them for a ring. He has no shame.
CELTICS 2024

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
If Howard wants a ring and is willing to sign for the minimum, why wouldn't he just sign with GSW?

Because Draymond Green would break Howard's jaw within 10 days?
And Smart wouldn't? 

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

If yes, you want D12.

He is NOT passing on $24M. He may give up a portion of it (some of which he will get back wherever he signs).

He wanted to go to Brooklyn, then he didn’t, then he did again, now that he’s there, he wants a buyout because they are bad.

He seems like the ideal type to run to Golden State to try to hitch onto them for a ring. He has no shame.

He wouldn't be paid $24 million to get his contract to be bought out. He wanted to go to Brooklyn? Isn't that years ago when Deron Williams was there?

Actually, funny you mention it, I actually think he's going to Golden State.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

If yes, you want D12.

He should have shame for wanting to play on the best team and win a ring? There have been many players that have signed with good/great teams late in their careers. It would not surprise me if he wanted to win a ring. It would make me scratch my head more if he didn't want to win.

I think the hate for Lebron, KD, Dwight, etc is warping some minds around here. NBA players should want to win a ring. Every. Single. Year.

Why not admit that GS is the best opportunity to win in the short term? To sign with GS, he will undoubtedly take a pay cut. Then I'm sure the cynics here would say that he was being selfish and a bad teammate for wanting to get paid less.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Howard wants a ring and is willing to sign for the minimum, why wouldn't he just sign with GSW?

Because Draymond Green would break Howard's jaw within 10 days?
And Smart wouldn't?

I hope he does, before Dwight signs a contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If yes, you want D12.

He wouldn't be paid $24 million to get his contract to be bought out. He wanted to go to Brooklyn? Isn't that years ago when Deron Williams was there?

Actually, funny you mention it, I actually think he's going to Golden State.

He’s giving up a portion of the $24 million. It’s probably around $2 million or less.  Brooklyn will be paying him $20+ million just to keep him away from their team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Also given Dwight's tendency to elbow teammates in the head I want him to play with Horford as little as possible.

People think Horford flinches too much on rebounds now, imagine him playing 15 minutes per game with "Cpt. Reckless Elbows".

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

If yes, you want D12.

He should have shame for wanting to play on the best team and win a ring? There have been many players that have signed with good/great teams late in their careers. It would not surprise me if he wanted to win a ring. It would make me scratch my head more if he didn't want to win.

I think the hate for Lebron, KD, Dwight, etc is warping some minds around here. NBA players should want to win a ring. Every. Single. Year.

Why not admit that GS is the best opportunity to win in the short term? To sign with GS, he will undoubtedly take a pay cut. Then I'm sure the cynics here would say that he was being selfish and a bad teammate for wanting to get paid less.

But he’s not a FA. He signed a contract, got traded, and is now trying to finagle his way out of it. If he entered free agency and turned down much more lucrative offers and playing time to ride pine in GSW, few would care.

So you would applaud LeBron for taking the taxpayer MLE to go play for the Warriors? PG13 should take the room exception in Houston?

Get a grip. If Dwight wanted to walk away from his entire salary and take $3M, fine. Good for him. But to ask for a $20M buyout and get another $2M+ from another team is nothing admirable. He’s giving up maybeeee a couple million to run off to a contender. Big whoop.

Nobody is denying Golden State is the best team right now. I don’t see anyone refuting that so I don’t get your point.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Eh this isn't Dwight demanding a buyout and the Nets trying to talk him into playing for them.

They have no interest in Dwight as a player, they wanted to dump guaranteed salary for next year. A buyout makes sense for both sides.