Author Topic: Cousins was down to Warriors and Celtics  (Read 5151 times)

Re: Cousins was down to Warriors and Celtics
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 02:48:14 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
According to @MarcJSpearsESPN, Boogie received ZERO offers from the other 29 NBA teams

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1013999075526467584

So, one report says it was the Celts and GSW that made an offer, an other says that at least NOP made an offer too, and now a report says only GSW made an offer.

Good thing you posted it, but I find it extremely hard to believe. I'm sure lots of teams would take him, esp. for that money.

Edit: I just re-read the first report (from Chris Haynes) and it says "he had narrowed down" his choices to BOS and GSW, which implies that there were offers from other teams.

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1013958944178356225
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:24:07 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 05:38:41 AM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 393
I really despise GSW now. Hateable players on top of hateable players. KD, Draymond, Boogie, Swaggy P... smh

I don’t know what DA has up his sleeve but I hope it’s something other than resigning Smart. Not convinced D12 is the key like some other posters in this thread but if DA thinks it is, then I’ll trust his decision. I sure do hope he puts the MLE to good use.
- LilRip

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 07:03:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I thought the GSW or Boston narrative was a bit strange.  Boston could have paid him $8.4M or so without going into tax, using the non-tax MLE.  GSW are in the tax so the most they could pay was the $5.3M taxpayer MLE.  It seems to me that Cousins wants the shortest path to a ring and that Boston was never really in play.  Maybe as plan B if GSW didn't make an offer.

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:34 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I thought the GSW or Boston narrative was a bit strange.  Boston could have paid him $8.4M or so without going into tax, using the non-tax MLE.  GSW are in the tax so the most they could pay was the $5.3M taxpayer MLE.  It seems to me that Cousins wants the shortest path to a ring and that Boston was never really in play.  Maybe as plan B if GSW didn't make an offer.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Celtics wouldn’t go over the non-tax MLE, as using the full MLE would expose them to the hard cap.  This could very quickly cost them Smart, for a half-year rental of Boogie.

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Wouldn’t surprise me if the Celtics wouldn’t go over the non-tax MLE, as using the full MLE would expose them to the hard cap.  This could very quickly cost them Smart, for a half-year rental of Boogie.

Resigning Smart can't be the deal breaker on upgrading the team. Cousins health is a question and we do need another guard but big man help is always important. I was hopeful the rookie would help there but I'm no longer convinced he is NBA material, his head is clearly not in the game!

But in all honesty I was hoping Cousins would go to LAL, the drama would be soap opera level!

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2018, 02:34:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Chris Mannix
@ChrisMannixYS
Wouldn't overstate DeMarcus Cousins interest in Boston. Cousins camp alerted Boston to a potential interest in signing there, per source, but the deal with Golden State was wrapped up before the Celtics made an offer.

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2018, 02:44:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
This is kind of like that smoking hot girl that is too bat crazy to consider no matter how hot she is. Better to just walk away. Otherwise she'll end up cooking a rabbit on your stove!

Did this happen to you?