Author Topic: Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.  (Read 13019 times)

Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:35:37 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Hey guys,

I usually lurk around dropping my two cents into other forums, but, I thought I need to write my thinking here.

Pau is not meshing in with D'Antoni's system, everyone can see that.  LA need to trade him to fit the model that D'Antoni has made successful.

I read an article on Real GM about how Pau does not have an issue playing with D12, he has an issue with D'Antoni's system.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225095/Gasol_Has_More_Issue_With_DAntonis_System_Than_Playing_With_Howard

In turn, D'Antoni has said "It's Pau who has to expand his game, and he'll expand out in the corner threes and he needs to take a couple, and we'll get him in the post when we can".  He is not using Pau correctly, nor will he use Pau correctly.

What immediately came to my mind is, how Jeff Green has really improved his corner three ball this season.  He would be a perfect fit in LA with Nash playing point, and the Lakers playing D'Antoni ball.  Look, I am not delusional, Pau is obviously a MUCH better player than Jeff, but, for the system, Green could be a better fit.  Especially with a big like Dwight paired with him.  Look, if Rashard and Ryan Anderson can excel @ PF next to Dwight, no reason to think that Green couldn't either.

On top of that, the Lakers need Depth big time, so, if the Celtics offered a package around, say: Green, Bass or Lee, Sully or Bradley (depending if they take Bass or Lee) + picks, surely that has got to get it done?  This makes the Lakers much more balanced and deeper.

What do you guys think?  You think this could be somewhat realistic?  Honestly, I think it is a good trade for LA, but, the only thing that may stop them from moving forward with this is the fact that this could make one of their biggest rivals a contender.

If that falls through, we need another big, I would go after Gortat, offering Sully + Lee and maybe a pick or whatever is needed to get it done.

Re: Pau Gasol - We need to make a move for him.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I like Gasol, but his cap figure is too high, in regards of what we would have to give up in order to match salary. I don't mind giving up Green & Bass for him, but not Sully or Bradley too.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Crazy money commitment for a guy that might not even put us over the top considering how this team is looking. Plus his injuries.

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
It is a big money commitment, his contract is very rich, but, including this year, he has only two years left on this contract.
With the big three all tied in for the next three years, we wouldn't be able to really sign any impact players outright anyway, so the only way to get a high calibre player would be by trade.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:13:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It is a big money commitment, his contract is very rich, but, including this year, he has only two years left on this contract.
With the big three all tied in for the next three years, we wouldn't be able to really sign any impact players outright anyway, so the only way to get a high calibre player would be by trade.
Also, a 30+ year old big man who's already sat out multiple games with general knee issues from wear and tear? I love Gasol and I thought his tenure with the Lakers is vastly underrated -- but he's clearly a huge risk right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I like Gasol's all around game but his contract is an issue.  Only way to make it plausible without gutting the team is to trade Pierce.  I am of the group that I'd only trade Pierce if he requested it or he was ok with it.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't mind Gasol and he would definitely give this team a new identity for a couple of years, but I really don't think it would be a good move to give up more than Green and Bass/Lee. We have decent assets in Bradley and Sullinger and I'd hate to give them up with picks in order to acquire an over the hill player that certainly doesn't give us a guarantee of a championship.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Lets say the Cs and LAL agree to the following trade

Green + Bass + Lee

for

Gasol + Ebanks

Then our rotation becomes

pg  Rondo
sg  AB
sf  Pierce
pf  KG
c   Gasol
6th Terry
7th Sully
8th Ebanks

La's Cecomes

pg  Nash
Sg  Lee/Meeks
SF  Kobe
PF  Green
C   Howard
6th Lee/Meeks
7th Meta
8th Bass

My worry is how this celtics team will match up with NY and miami. When both teams go small and play SFs at PF (james, melo) how do the Cs match up? Also how will rondo play with Gasol?

In the end i say this is a solid win now trade but leaves the Cs with little for the post KG/PP era.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Ok first of all you forgot about Barbosa/Wilcox/Collins/Melo/Joseph. Those guys are also on our team and a couple of them are worthy rotation players.

Second the C's will match up pretty well with NY/MIA because we can dominate the glass and paint. Both Gasol and Garnett are excellent passing big men and both can play pretty well in a fast paced offense.

Third you got the Lakers depth chart/lineup way wrong. Something like:

Nash
Bryant
Green
Bass
Howard

Looks a lot more right, with Metta/Jamison/Lee/Meeks coming off of the bench.

However I think the trade would be a win for both sides. I think Gasol puts the C's in a very good position to win the East and I have no worry about his knees. He's been maybe the most durable big man I can remember. Also next season he's a huge trading piece if it goes south. $20M expiring is worth a lot in today's NBA.

The Lakers can probably get more, they always seem to. I think the trade works for both sides and is a little slanted in favor of the C's but my guess is that Gasol will get moved to Toronto or Minnesota. The upside is that the packages those teams would offer don't really outshine ours so we'll see. Long past is the time when LA could have netted Josh Smith or some near-allstar for Gasol. That makes this trade very possible.

Oh and as a side note, I'm not making AB available in a trade for Gasol. Sully could be workable but AB is off the table in this trade for me.

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I like Gasol, and think he'd be a good fit in Boston, but I think that Boston can get what it needs—for much cheaper and younger—with Gortat.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My worry is how this celtics team will match up with NY and miami. When both teams go small and play SFs at PF (james, melo) how do the Cs match up? Also how will rondo play with Gasol?

This works both ways though.  MIA could not guard us when we went big.  I would take my chances with KG playing off them and making them shoot jumpers.   Sure, they are going to beat you when hot but these guys are not great jumpers.   Melo is the more dangerous of the two but LeBron is very streaky although his mid range has improved some.  Both shoot around 1 out of three from the arc.   If they go to the hole put them on their back a few times and they might stop trying.

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:24:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Proposed trade is no where near enough.

Minnesota has reportedly offered Pekovic and Williams (plus other players have to be included just to get to the salary).

Toronto has also reportedly offered Bargnani and Calderon.

Both of those trades are far better packages than anything Boston can offer short of Rondo.  So no trade for Pau will be possible.  A total and utter pipe dream. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Minnesota has reportedly offered Pekovic and Williams (plus other players have to be included just to get to the salary).

Both of those trades are far better packages than anything Boston can offer short of Rondo.  So no trade for Pau will be possible.  A total and utter pipe dream.

Wow, Bargniani and Calderon would really help the Lakers. Bargniani would fit in very well next to Dwight Howard, and Calderon is not only a top level backup pg, but the best Nash insurance they can get.

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Those trades are pretty weak. Bargnani and Calderon are pretty weak players, Williams is pretty underwhelming and Pekovic (not exactly a star) plays the same position as Dwight Howard.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Those trades are pretty weak. Bargnani and Calderon are pretty weak players, Williams is pretty underwhelming and Pekovic (not exactly a star) plays the same position as Dwight Howard.

I don't know, I see those as both very good offers for Gasol. Do you honestly consider some combo of Bass, Lee, Green any better?