Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 166298 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My oldest son just saw BvS.

Said it was AMAZING...and this comes from a young critic.

Said it was full of easter eggs, too.

Can't wait to see it next week.

#DCforever

« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I may watch Sunday.

« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2016, 09:47:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think BvS discussion merits it's own thread.

« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm concerned about BvS. The last 3 Batmans were amazing. Now they have the director of 300 doing this. That worries me. I couldn't get past 15 minutes of 300. Very corny. Watchmen was okay, but nothing great. Not sure how this guy keeps getting big projects.

« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm concerned about BvS. The last 3 Batmans were amazing. Now they have the director of 300 doing this. That worries me. I couldn't get past 15 minutes of 300. Very corny. Watchmen was okay, but nothing great. Not sure how this guy keeps getting big projects.

The first two of the last Batmans were good, not amazing. Too grounded for a comicbook movie and Nolan couldn't wrap his head around a world that has both Supes and Bats in it. I had high hopes for Bale, but he was good, not great looking back rewatching them. Dark Knight Rises, I almost walk out on. I've tried to rewatch it a could times, but I can't sit threw the whole thing in one go.

Just got done watching BvS. Very good, not great,mostly because the first half was jumbled and choppy. Second half was great. Snyder while he doesn't handle Superman very well, has a good grasp on Batman and WonderWoman.

Affleck is the best Batman to date. How Snyder handled him and used him with Alfred was great, felt like the old Batman cartoon. The first time you see Batman I actually got chills, and not from excitement, but he scared me the way they lit him and used the POV of the other character. Right out of the comic. And viscous.....Wow, he's no joke. How he handles bad guys is nuts. And his Bruce Wayne was tops. Spot on casting that wouldn't have worked 10 years ago, but does now.

Godat as WW was really impressive. For some one who hasn't had much screen time in her career she handled herself with the big boys and some times even outshined them. I'm really looking forward to the WW movie next year.

Once the three of them got together it worked. It flowed really well, even has some humor in it. I can really see them working in a JL movie together.

« Reply #335 on: March 25, 2016, 12:28:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just saw it.  The criticism is completely warranted.  Overall it's not a good film.

I don't recommend it for anyone who isn't a super fan.  I'm definitely not taking a casual movie-goer to see this.  I'm not even sure I'd recommend children see it.  In the same way "Watchmen" was gratuitously dark, so is this movie.  They just double-down on tons of innocent people being murdered.

It really is a joyless downer of a film with a wonky plot, some bad performances, illogical motives, terrible pacing and useless scenes.   It has 3 dream sequences.  It sets up introductions to future characters in completely hamfisted ways.  In many ways it's hacky.  You've seen everything you really need to see in the trailer.

I actually like Jesse Eisenberg as an actor, but his performance as Lex misses the mark.  It's awful.  I'm pegging him as the single worst part of this movie... both his performance, the dialogue, the character's motives, etc.   It brings down this movie.

All that said, Ben Affleck is fine as Batman.  If this franchise continues, I'd be interested to see a better director give him some better material to work with.  But really he might just have seemed good by comparison to the rest of the dumpster fire happening around him.

As a nerd, I was entertained for the most part.  This movie is in my wheelhouse.  I'm the demographic for it... so I certainly enjoyed aspects of it, but I'm a movie fanatic that goes to movies once a week and watches all the superhero themed shows...  There's tons of bad content I'm willing to sit through.   If you're a casual viewer, you might want to stay from this one.   If you LOVED the Watchmen, you'll probably enjoy this a lot.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:33:39 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #336 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just saw it.  The criticism is completely warranted.  Overall it's not a good film.

I don't recommend it for anyone who isn't a super fan.  I'm definitely not taking a casual movie-goer to see this.  I'm not even sure I'd recommend children see it.  In the same way "Watchmen" was gratuitously dark, so is this movie.  They just double-down on tons of innocent people being murdered.

It really is a joyless downer of a film with a wonky plot, some bad performances, illogical motives, terrible pacing and useless scenes.   It has 3 dream sequences.  It sets up introductions to future characters in completely hamfisted ways.  In many ways it's hacky.  You've seen everything you really need to see in the trailer.

I actually like Jesse Eisenberg as an actor, but his performance as Lex misses the mark.  It's awful.  I'm pegging him as the single worst part of this movie... both his performance, the dialogue, the character's motives, etc.   It brings down this movie.

All that said, Ben Affleck is fine as Batman.  If this franchise continues, I'd be interested to see a better director give him some better material to work with.  But really he might just have seemed good by comparison to the rest of the dumpster fire happening around him.

As a nerd, I was entertained for the most part.  This movie is in my wheelhouse.  I'm the demographic for it... so I certainly enjoyed aspects of it, but I'm a movie fanatic that goes to movies once a week and watches all the superhero themed shows...  There's tons of bad content I'm willing to sit through.   If you're a casual viewer, you might want to stay from this one.   If you LOVED the Watchmen, you'll probably enjoy this a lot.

What's your take on this review?:

http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-batman-v-superman-throws-lots-of-punches-but-with-no-impact-at-all

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #337 on: March 25, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Zach Snyder has a way of squeezing any joy or life out of his material.
Really hope they get rid of him.  That's a common complaint of the movie... there's nothing "fun" about it.  Of course fanboys will argue that not everything has to be Marvel bright and cheerful, but that's missing the point. "The Dark Knight" was a relatively dark movie and there were still plenty of "Fun" moments... especially Ledger's performance. 

JJ Abrams explained that with "Star Wars Episode 7" they tried to focus on moments that would "delight" the audience and fit as many in there as possible.  It didn't even need to be funny or cute things... just things that caused emotional reactions.  Vader telling Luke he's his father is a "moment of delight". 

That's one thing that Marvel focuses on as well.  It's why a relatively clunker dump of a movie (Age of Ultron) can get somewhat positive reviews (66 out of 100 on metacritic)... little moments that stand out whether it's the team trying to lift THors hammer or Hawkeye cracking a joke... they delight the audience.

Snyder is far too interested in making dark and drab overly serious bummers.   Yeah, it was cool to see Superman lifted off the pages in "man of steel", but when you don't care about the characters or the story it kind of makes those action scenes feel empty.   A lot of hardcore superman fans enjoyed it, but I went and saw that movie with my entire company for a company offsite and I think out of the 100+ people who attended, I might have been the only person who actually enjoyed it.  I'm seeing "Batman V Superman" tonight... will see if it is actually worse than Man of Steel.
I think that's the key for Marvel movies developing the broader appeal they enjoy.  DC's movies have precious little humor to them so casual viewers of comic movies are turned off.  As for The Dark Knight being bleak, yes, it very much was however Ledger's Joker stole the movie in what I consider a tour-de-force performance. 

I consider my wife to be a prime example of a casual viewer who goes to see these types of films to humor me.  Deadpool was loaded with humor (several actual LOL scenes) and wants to go see it again.  plenty of action for comic fans (as well as staying pretty true to the character's comic book persona) and entertainment for the casual fan.

I'll still see SvB while it's in the theaters simply because, as you say "it's in my wheelhouse"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:27:51 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2016, 10:21:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It has 3 dream sequences. 

Hahahahaha that seems to sum it up more than anything else in that post.

I won't see this until it comes out for home viewing but it seems pretty hacky.  The title alone is horribly contrived.  Still I'll check it out at some point.

« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2016, 07:38:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I won't see this until it comes out for home viewing but it seems pretty hacky.  The title alone is horribly contrived.  Still I'll check it out at some point.
But seriously... the dream sequences are pretty unnecessary beyond Zack Snyder wanting an excuse to do some whacky visual stuff as shout-outs to comic fans. 

« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

What's your take on this review?:

http://m.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-batman-v-superman-throws-lots-of-punches-but-with-no-impact-at-all
It's spot on.

There are parts that are breathtakingly stupid... many centered on Lex's character.  His character makes no sense at all. 

Actually for those who see it, I'll delve a little into spoiler territory here, but really anything you need to see is already in the trailers so there's nothing really worth spoiling. 

To me, Batman's motives in this movie are far more in line with what Lex should be thinking.  Batman doesn't necessarily think Superman is going to bring death to everyone, though he does partially blame him for a lot of the destruction in "Man of Steel".  And despite lots of people seeing Superman as a hero that saved everyone, Batman suggests that if there's a 1% chance he turns evil, he needs to take it as an "absolute certainty".  Which is stupid, but whatever.  At least Batman's motives have some logic.  He's got to stop Superman "just in case".  No one man should have all that pooowwwah.  But for whatever reason, Batman decides the only solution is to murder Superman.  I mean... ok? 

That should be Lex's motives.  Stop Superman, because no one man should have all that poowwwaah.  But his character is a chaotic and ridiculous mess.   He wants to orchestrate a battle between Batman and Superman, murder tons of innocent people, kill Batman for some reason, unleash literal Doomsday, kidnap and torture Martha Kent... His character is just stupid.  And it's heightened by Eisenberg apparently deciding that Lex Luthor should be a cross between the Joker and Riddler.  All while stuffing cherry jolly ranchers in the mouths of senators and squealing like a cartoon character. 

They also handled the introduction of additional Justice League characters in the most hamfisted way possible.   Lex has a database of "meta humans" (complete with character logos).  We find out about this after Batman hacks into Lex's database and sends the info to Wonder Woman via e-mail.   She opens up the various attachments to see clips of the characters.  It's dumb. 

There's moments in the movie that neat.  I particularly enjoyed the opening scene of Bruce at ground zero of the events of "Man of Steel", but you already saw that in the trailer.  Kinda neat to see the actual Superman/Batman battle from "Dark Knight Returns" reenacted.  But so much of it was just dumb, cynical and depressing. 

« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2016, 07:54:26 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

But seriously... the dream sequences are pretty unnecessary beyond Zack Snyder wanting an excuse to do some whacky visual stuff as shout-outs to comic fans. 
I don't know why they persist with Snyder. I understand they want to separate themselves from the MCU, but every film I've ever seen him direct makes it seems like he has no idea what the end goal is.

« Reply #342 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:22 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Any movie with Diane Lane in it is worth a watch, even if she only gets limited screen time. ;)

« Reply #343 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't know why critics hated Dawn of Justice, it was fun.

Affleck was good as Barman, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman was awesome. It literally looked kirk the comic books came to life.

Sure, it isn't perfect, but it was good.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #344 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:02 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm primarily a Marvel fan, but I'm looking forward to BvS. The previews have looked pretty good.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis