Author Topic: Wow. Somebody worked hard on the CB calendar if it recognizes United Nations Day  (Read 14517 times)

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
One thing that I thought was interesting.  Indigenous Day in Guatemala is (purposely) on the same day as Columbus Day.  That got me thinking.  I am not a fan of Columbus Day because of the destruction and death that came with him during the colonization years.  However, I do believe it's worthy of celebrating the Europeans descendants coming to the Americas and making it what it is today, but you cannot forget about the people that were here prior to the colonization.  I think that the perfect compromise is to have Columbus Day and Indigenous Day on the same day, that we are celebrating both heritages.
Baby Jesus!

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
One thing that I thought was interesting.  Indigenous Day in Guatemala is (purposely) on the same day as Columbus Day.  That got me thinking.  I am not a fan of Columbus Day because of the destruction and death that came with him during the colonization years.  However, I do believe it's worthy of celebrating the Europeans descendants coming to the Americas and making it what it is today, but you cannot forget about the people that were here prior to the colonization.  I think that the perfect compromise is to have Columbus Day and Indigenous Day on the same day, that we are celebrating both heritages.

I know all the background you have on this one
and I whole hearted agree that both dates have their own good things...
Both of them very very important for all of us latin descendants
after all theres imho no such thing as no mestizos in latin america if not the latest travelers
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Did you know there's a National Man's Day on June 15th?  At least according to facebook.  Why it would be so close to Father's day seems odd to me. Father's Day is all the Man's Day I need and then some.

I wonder if there is a Woman's Day, although there is Mother's Day and Valentine's Day.

Kiorrik

Did you know there's a National Man's Day on June 15th?  At least according to facebook.  Why it would be so close to Father's day seems odd to me. Father's Day is all the Man's Day I need and then some.

I wonder if there is a Woman's Day, although there is Mother's Day and Valentine's Day.
My favorite day has got to be talk-like-a-pirate-day

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is today listed as Valentine's Day or Singles Awareness Day?  I haven't been able to check.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Is today listed as Valentine's Day or Singles Awareness Day?  I haven't been able to check.  ;)
That's a good point Dons. I wonder if alcohol consumption goes up a lot this weekend. I wonder if it's as high as St Patty's Day

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Interesting that International Women's Day wasn't on the calendar. Actually I don't see any holidays any more. Just birthdays. Was there a change? Also I wonder what I'm supposed to do for International Women's day. Make a cake? I hope this thread doesn't get killed, because days come up. For all our international people...did you hear about this day?

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
BTW Congratulations to all the great Women in the blog!!  ;D

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I find this appropriate in general at this moment. I had no issue with Women's Day, but maybe we do need one as opposed to just Mother's Day.  One of my facebook friends just posted "I am an independent educated woman. Or as Rush would say "a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.""