Author Topic: This player puts Cs over the top  (Read 2682 times)

Re: This player puts Cs over the top
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2023, 02:40:15 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Pass. Can’t shoot and his decision making is suspect. Can’t play off ball at all, either. I don’t think he’d be a good fit.

Can't shoot?  He's shooting 46.5% from the field, 31.3 from 3. 
Decision making?  Yes, 3.3 turnovers is a bit but he's also averaging 5.7 assist a game.
Can't play off the ball?  He's a point guard, he's meant to have the ball in his hand, assist and score when needed.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2023, 02:49:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1441
Pass. Can’t shoot and his decision making is suspect. Can’t play off ball at all, either. I don’t think he’d be a good fit.

Can't shoot?  He's shooting 46.5% from the field, 31.3 from 3. 
Decision making?  Yes, 3.3 turnovers is a bit but he's also averaging 5.7 assist a game.
Can't play off the ball?  He's a point guard, he's meant to have the ball in his hand, assist and score when needed.

Correct, Westbrook is not a good shooter. Look at his career averages vs a 7 game sample size. You really want the ball in Westbrooks hands over White or Holiday? I sure don’t.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2023, 03:20:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Jrue Holiday. The Celtics are going to win the championship.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2023, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Last thing the Celtics need is a headache like Westbrook.

All the Celtics need to win the title is to stay healthy and play good ball when it matters. No team can match our starting 5.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2023, 05:24:59 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Haha, I don't remember the last time I was this disappointed with the reveal after clicking on a clickbait-y title.

Westbrook is just a hard player to integrate into most teams since he needs to dominate the ball to be most effective. We already have White or Holiday in the game most of the time, and Tatum is going to be controlling the ball often in the non-Brown, non-starters minutes. Even if Westbrook said he was happy to be off ball, his poor outside shooting would affect our spacing and inevitably the defenses would be designed to force the ball back into his hands. If we do have a non-shooter on the court, I'd prefer it be a really versatile defensive player with some size, which is why a guy like Lamar Stevens makes sense if he works out.

If we didn't have Holiday, I would actually be more open to the idea because we know this team has always needed elite ballhandling. Imagine Westbrook handling the ball with Brown, Tatum, Porzingis, and Horford or White out there as shooters. Maybe it wouldn't be as good as a true 5-out lineup, but it would still be an interesting look. I just don't think that with White and Holiday already here that Westbrook can fit in, however.

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2023, 05:33:11 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
It's so bizarre to me how poor Westbrook is at defense despite all the tools to be a good defender. Just stupid gambles all the time.

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2023, 05:50:31 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I’d imagine he’d handle a reduced bench player role about as well as Allen Iverson did.
Greg

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I have a question for everybody saying, they wouldn't want Westbrook.  Why? 

He hasn't caused any issues since going to the Clippers.  He's accepted a smaller role and is playing within what the Clippers are asking him to do.  He took less money to stay with a team he thought could win.  Also he's a player that plays with heart and will give a team everything he has.  Right now I'm watching a bench unit besides Horford and maybe Hauser who doesn't have that kind of heart.  Pritchard is looking like he's forgotten how to play basketball.  If you have a chance to get a former all-star and someone still putting up his stats for penny on the dollar, why wouldn't you take a chance.  If he doesn't work after the season you get rid of him.

I'm with you hear. Never been a big fan of Russell,  but at this price with the bench having a glaring hole, and Russ being 35 years old and finally maturing a bit. It's worth the small risk IMO.

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2023, 10:11:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have a question for everybody saying, they wouldn't want Westbrook.  Why? 

He hasn't caused any issues since going to the Clippers.  He's accepted a smaller role and is playing within what the Clippers are asking him to do.  He took less money to stay with a team he thought could win.  Also he's a player that plays with heart and will give a team everything he has.  Right now I'm watching a bench unit besides Horford and maybe Hauser who doesn't have that kind of heart.  Pritchard is looking like he's forgotten how to play basketball.  If you have a chance to get a former all-star and someone still putting up his stats for penny on the dollar, why wouldn't you take a chance.  If he doesn't work after the season you get rid of him.

He's a bad shooter and bad defender who turns the ball over frequently and who demands (and holds) the ball.  His "heart" is for putting up stats, not for winning games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2023, 10:15:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Unless Westbrook wants to play as a bench PF for the Celtics, I see no need for him at all.  To make any difference at all in the guard rotation, he would have to play better than Pritchard, and I am not sure at this point he is better than Pritchard.