Author Topic: Another offseason offer? Ideas for discussion  (Read 5707 times)

Re: Another offseason offer? Ideas for discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Once you use cap space you do not have access to either the full MLE or the taxpayer MLE or the BLE. All you then have to offer is the Room Exception of $4.7 million

Also, Rozier's cap hold is $9.1 million not the $4+ million number you are quoting.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/

Spotrac is very reliable and contains all the other stuff you are forgetting, like cap holds for exceptions.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:36:28 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
OK, this is out of left field:

Trade Gordon Hayward to Utah for Derrick Favors (in last year at $17 mm) and Ricky Rubio (UFA, so sign (at about $12 to match with Hayward) and trade would be required).

Boston gets a solid guy up front, in prime of his career (27) to play with Horford, brings in Rubio as either starting or, more likely, backup, PG, and reduces its wing clutter.

No more complaining by Silky that you can't start Hayward, Brown and Tatum together (actually, I'm starting to concede his point)!

Utah more than anyone including Boston would appreciate the value of Hayward, as a solid second scorer next to Mitchell. 

I realize this may be perceived as a poor return for Gordon, assuming he would return to his old Jazz self, but nobody knows if he will. Plus by getting rid of Hayward's contract, and Favors becoming an UFA after next season, you develop more roster flexibility.

Did not run through trade machine, and know there are some wacky rules regarding sign-and-trades, but thought I'd put this out there, so have at it!

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Any chance we trade for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? (assuming Kyrie walks and we embrace the youth movement)

Imo, he's the most promising young PG in the league right now. In all honesty, he may have a higher ceiling than Tatum/Brown.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:59:47 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Any chance we trade for Shai Gilgeous-Alexander? (assuming Kyrie walks and we embrace the youth movement)

Imo, he's the most promising young PG in the league right now. In all honesty, he may have a higher ceiling than Tatum/Brown.
He is an incredible talent. Unfortunately, Doc Rivers knows this and loves the guy. Getting him won't happen.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
How about leaving the core as is and bringing in a big man and a shooter or a pass-first point guard?  One free agent that we may be able to get for a discount would be Markieff Morris.  Why not have the twins together here again?  I also wouldn't mind seeing the Celtics take a flier on Cousins.

I know it will be unpopular on this board, but at point guard, I would look at Rondo and IT.  I think Rondo would be the perfect floor general for this group and would not be too expensive and IT would come for a reduced salary as well to give us a shooter off the bench.  Rondo is the key to unlocking Tatum and getting him the ball in the right spots.

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:28 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Once you use cap space you do not have access to either the full MLE or the taxpayer MLE or the BLE. All you then have to offer is the Room Exception of $4.7 million

Also, Rozier's cap hold is $9.1 million not the $4+ million number you are quoting.

Spotrac is very reliable and contains all the other stuff you are forgetting, like cap holds for exceptions.

Right. I was looking at the qo and not the caphold. My bad.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Basically to keep rozier and add bryant team would need to also drop Baynes.

Baynes, Yabusele, pick 22 to dallas for brunson and 37 might work for dallas.
Cheap depth, a pick and still have room for a max contract.

Or perhaps a different team for baynes.

Either way it is still possible to have a starting lineup of

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
OK, this is out of left field:

Trade Gordon Hayward to Utah for Derrick Favors (in last year at $17 mm) and Ricky Rubio (UFA, so sign (at about $12 to match with Hayward) and trade would be required).

Boston gets a solid guy up front, in prime of his career (27) to play with Horford, brings in Rubio as either starting or, more likely, backup, PG, and reduces its wing clutter.

No more complaining by Silky that you can't start Hayward, Brown and Tatum together (actually, I'm starting to concede his point)!

Utah more than anyone including Boston would appreciate the value of Hayward, as a solid second scorer next to Mitchell. 

I realize this may be perceived as a poor return for Gordon, assuming he would return to his old Jazz self, but nobody knows if he will. Plus by getting rid of Hayward's contract, and Favors becoming an UFA after next season, you develop more roster flexibility.

Did not run through trade machine, and know there are some wacky rules regarding sign-and-trades, but thought I'd put this out there, so have at it!

I am shocked. Lol.

But with ingles, not sure if they want Hayward back, they really need a PG

Hayward and a pick to Memphis
Conley to Utah
Favors and pick to Boston

I think that gets done by everyone, frees up another 13 million (about 22 mill total) in capspace as well to potentially sign a free agent PG and puts Favors as the starting Center.

Rubio?
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Favors

Smart, baynes, and lots of draftpicks off the bench.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:30:07 AM by Silky »

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant
Baynes was given assurances he would not be traded this year as a condition of opting into this year. Danny won't go back on his word.

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant
Or, you make no trades. Sign Rozier using his Bird rights and just offer Bryant the full MLE. Celtics should be below the taxpayer threshold and have that.

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant
Baynes was given assurances he would not be traded this year as a condition of opting into this year. Danny won't go back on his word.

was he?

Cool, can be done with picks being traded. but I would rather the picks over rozier if I had to chose 1 or the other.

As long as team can make an offer on Bryant that cannot be matched.

He is the guy needed for long term center.

Super athletic, rebounds, blocks shots, long, very good defender, good 3pt shooter, excellent screen setter only 21 years old.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant
Or, you make no trades. Sign Rozier using his Bird rights and just offer Bryant the full MLE. Celtics should be below the taxpayer threshold and have that.

I do not believe the Full MLE is enough to go over the threshold  that Washington can match.

Boston needs to go just a smidge above it.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 10:52:29 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Rozier
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Bryant

I do not believe the Full MLE is enough to go over the threshold  that Washington can match.

Boston needs to go just a smidge above it.
Then pass. Because quite honestly if other teams know Washington won't match beyond a certain point, there will be a bidding war for him and he will get massively overpaid.

There's a bunch of teams that will have cap space and will be left with no star to sign. Those teams then usually way over spend on much less talented players like Bryant. He isn't worth getting into a bidding war you know you can't win.

I would offer him no more than the full, 4 year MLE. No sense reworking an entire roster just to open up a very limited amount of cap space and then miss out on the guy because the Knicks decided to throw 4 years and $20 million at the guy because they can't get anyone else to sign there.

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Julius randle is available

I was thinking about him today.  Wonder what his market will be...15-18 per year?  He declined his option for 9 mill.

I love the idea of a Randle/Horford front-court. If Horford re-signs to a team friendly deal, I'd try and make cap space go hard after Randle. Something like 4 year 66 million. Yabu and #51 for a future second. #14 and #20 to move up to #11 for Clarke. Draft Jerome at #22. Try and keep Rozier's cap hold on the books so we can go over and match after we sign Randle.

Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Randle/Horford
IT/Smart/Hayward/Clarke/Baynes
Jerome/Dozier/Hunter/Ojeleye/Williams

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

They wouldn't include him in any trade for AD so no....