Author Topic: Romeo and Robert Williams  (Read 2526 times)

Romeo and Robert Williams
« on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Both Romeo and Robert Williams lottery talents both dropped into the Celtics hand. Romeo opted for surgery on his thumb after toughing out his freshmen season. He wasn't available for combine or personnel team workouts .I'm sure Danny and Brad had followed the kid for some time.
They didn't hesitate or try  to get him later in draft. They got a solid 6-6 finisher with 6-11 wingspan guard  with a smooth game and elite wingspan and finishing ability .Then rehab process kept him out of summer league and some training camp. He finally got back and suffered a series of nagging injuries.
Wasn't till end of season he started to make an impression on defence
But he showed his toughness taking a charge from Aron Gordon ,he moved his feet and used his length. He even held his own with Lebron forcing and bobbling a shot he still muscled up a off backboard basket.
Gave good weak side help  and off ball put back rebounding .Smooth and not afraid to take it to the hole through contact, while slashing he got closelined and he didn't blink or the finger roll over the Nets center.
Robert Williams missed summer league and was injured during training camp. He sat the bench and in essence learned what it took to become a NBA player. This year Robert Williams showed flashes of his passing skill then a injury to his hip that is a mysterious as  jumping ability and he may grow out of.

To the point, these kids play against the best in the world before their bodies are ready.
Look at Marcus rookie season ripped his fingers out of their sockets, dislocated his knee and  then a high ankle sprain that bothered him well into summer and fans thought he couldn't get to the hoop.Lets hope the last 3 months was used like Jaylen or Tatum even Theis all got bulkier and stronger.

The Celtics have groomed these rookies by not throwing them out there to develop bad habits like the lottery teams,
 Everybody is  impressed with Rob and Brad said Tremont and Carsen's games have improved
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:36:34 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Romeo and Robert Williams
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:54:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Robert Williams a "full go", no limitations, according to Brad Stevens.  I can't wait to see our team back. Not going to sweat Kemba's time table, I trust they just want to be sure he can go full throttle without restrictions once the playoffs start. This is wise.  He hasn't played for several months, so the worst thing you can do is have him go hard day one.

Getting back to my favorite Celtic Robert Williams, I am super excited to see him get meaningful minutes during the 8 game tuneup, and work his way back into the lineup. Remember he was opening night starter for this team, and probably would be today were it not for the injuries. I really think that is how Brad and Danny view him long term. No knock on Theis, whom I love, just that long term, Theis seems better suited coming off the bench, which was his role when he signed with us a couple of years back. 

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 08:42:05 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Robert Williams a "full go", no limitations, according to Brad Stevens.  I can't wait to see our team back. Not going to sweat Kemba's time table, I trust they just want to be sure he can go full throttle without restrictions once the playoffs start. This is wise.  He hasn't played for several months, so the worst thing you can do is have him go hard day one.

Getting back to my favorite Celtic Robert Williams, I am super excited to see him get meaningful minutes during the 8 game tuneup, and work his way back into the lineup. Remember he was opening night starter for this team, and probably would be today were it not for the injuries. I really think that is how Brad and Danny view him long term. No knock on Theis, whom I love, just that long term, Theis seems better suited coming off the bench, which was his role when he signed with us a couple of years back.

Trying not to get my hopes up too high.

I do have this unrealistic notion that somehow the Jays emerge from the layoff like veteran all-stars, that healthy Marcus can turn it up a notch and that we get the consistent excellence that Gordon and Kemba are capable of.

Then there is Bob, and Daniel and Enes… and maybe Grant.   This is where the miracle, if there is one, emerges from.   How preposterous is it to think that Robert Williams can suddenly be a consistent force in the middle? I love watching him play, but in between the eye-grabbing exciting signs that make you think this guy is a talent there are the signs of youth and fragility.   Is it possible that these 4 months have been transformative?  Along with rested, healthy Daniel, Enes and Grant, can Bob give the C's what they need up front?  The assumption must be that every other team will be rested and healthy too -- why would this favor the C's?

Trying not to get hopes up.

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 08:45:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I do have this unrealistic notion that somehow the Jays emerge from the layoff like veteran all-stars, that healthy Marcus can turn it up a notch and that we get the consistent excellence that Gordon and Kemba are capable of.

Then there is Bob, and Daniel and Enes… and maybe Grant.   This is where the miracle, if there is one, emerges from.   How preposterous is it to think that Robert Williams can suddenly be a consistent force in the middle? I love watching him play, but in between the eye-grabbing exciting signs that make you think this guy is a talent there are the signs of youth and fragility.   Is it possible that these 4 months have been transformative?  Along with rested, healthy Daniel, Enes and Grant, can Bob give the C's what they need up front?  The assumption must be that every other team will be rested and healthy too -- why would this favor the C's?

NG, glass is ALWAYS half full, not half empty!!  Have faith, brother, in our guys!!

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

NG, glass is ALWAYS half full, not half empty!!  Have faith, brother, in our guys!!

You've got a much healthier outlook on life than NG!  I like it -- keep it up!!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Id love C's to go hard at developing Langford for the playoffs. It's obvious the top 7 are Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Smart, Kanter, and Theis so getting Langford playing more and involved as our 8th player most used might be smart.

Langford doesn't seem the defensive liability the other end of bench guys are, while still being able to beat his man. He also can play/switch at PG, SG, and SF. At PG he is probably even a better opt than Wanna as he would wreak more havoc with his size and athletic ability. We have wings that we want to run the offense through anyways so PG isnt a big offense need. We need a guy that can squeeze out a few hustle plays and still score. It also seems stopping the point of attack with switch ability is going to be important with pick and roll being heavy in almost every playoff series.

Also I have heard analyst talk about the possibility of Langford as a rotation guy for the playoffs so it's not an out there thought. Just haven't seen it discussed much on here. So thoughts on a push to get Langford up to playoff speed?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:50:10 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Maybe

Romeo & Juliette