Author Topic: Possibility of moving up in the draft  (Read 3920 times)

Re: Possibility of moving up in the draft
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
What about packaging Smart with #16 (plus other assets?) for D’Angelo Russell? Would it be worth it?

Seems like an overpay.

Trading the #6 pick in last year's draft plus #16 AND "other assets" to nab a guy that is being mocked around 3-5?  For another guard?
Hopefully we manage to pull this through just for Smart and #16, but if we had to include another minor asset or two, that’s fine by me. I really like DLo and to be honest I am not yet sold on Smart.

Re: Possibility of moving up in the draft
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What about packaging Smart with #16 (plus other assets?) for D?€™Angelo Russell? Would it be worth it?

Seems like an overpay.

Trading the #6 pick in last year's draft plus #16 AND "other assets" to nab a guy that is being mocked around 3-5?  For another guard?
Hopefully we manage to pull this through just for Smart and #16, but if we had to include another minor asset or two, that?€™s fine by me. I really like DLo and to be honest I am not yet sold on Smart.
how can you not be sold on Smart?  is it because you expect him to be a PG and he's not really looking like a natural at the position?  just curious.  his D is all-NBA already.  his shot has improved significantly over the course of the season.   the kid is a competitor.

Personally, I see him as more of a SG or Combo guard as his career progresses.  If we paired him with a real PG or another solid combo guard, we'd be doing just fine.

anyone still available at #6 this year would be fortunate to show that much at the end of their rookie year.  If you were going for WCS to plug the hole at Center I'd understand even though 6 is a reach for him. 

If I were anxious to move young players I think can net us better young players, I'd look at moving KO with 16 and 28/33 to get to #8.  take WCS with that pick and pair him with Sully to control the boards and defend.  Move AB to Utah for #12 and take BPA at that point (One of Turner, Johnson, Oubre or Grant).  Start Smart with ET and Crowder next year.  Keep IT coming off the bench with hopefully Young ready to make a contribution. 

Team:
Zeller, Sully, WCS (draft #8), Crowder (resigned), Evan Turner, IT, Smart, Young, Pressey, Oubre (draft #12), Jerebko (resigned), Dakari/Upshaw (project pick with the 28 or 33 that we didn't trade away), A. Harrison (draft #45), Wallace. 
That's 14 players and Danny should have plenty of cap room to sign a solid FA.  That FA could influence that #12 pick.  For example, say Danny can sign Harris (and knows this prior the draft without risk of tampering ;) )  then he may look at grabbing either Turner or Grant with #12 knowing he can get a Wing slot filled for a few years with Harris.