Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 132345 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2013, 05:35:05 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
It's going to take a lot more than a translation of an Italian journalist... but that's just me.

« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2013, 05:37:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It's going to take a lot more than a translation of an Italian journalist... but that's just me.

'An NBA league source told the Denver post' was the operative phrasing.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

'An NBA league source told the Denver post' was the operative phrasing.

I was under the impression that was the source. Regardless, even if Gallo returns in mid-December, that's still nearly two months of games missed. Not that it matters because I have you penciled in as a playoff team in the East anyway.

« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
i havent read through the questions in the thread yet, and i apologize if this has been asked, but:

to all teams....what seed do you rank your team your conference (not division) and why do you rank them there?

i am voting, so along with your rosters and pressers, this is your opportunity to try and make a case to this voter.

thx

Im gonna go ahead an put my team at number one in the conference. Definitely ahead of Boston. Its going to be tough to find a 1-8 that has more talent, versatility, high IQ, and know their role guys than the Knicks do.

Rubio
Martin
Green
Sanders
Lopez
with:
Randolph
Williams
Hinirch

as the first three off the bench is very tough to compete with. Add Garcia, Udrih, Frye to that rotation and there is just too many heady veterans that know what they're doing to compete with. I feel like my bench line up of Hinrich, Garcia, Williams, ZBo and Frye could even knock on the door of the 8th slot in the East.

As far as Boston saying they'd be top in the division, I just dont see how they could outplay the Knicks.

Rubio vs Irving
Martin vs Haywood
Gallo vs Green
Sanders vs Gasol
Lopez vs Jonas

Randolph vs D Arthur?
Hinrich vs Thomas?
Williams vs Brewer?

Irving would cause us problems for sure but he will against any team. Who is going to guard ZBo and Lopez? They will score 20+ easily downlow and eat up boards in the paint.

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I like my starters better 1-4, but here's where we differ:

Randolph vs D Arthur?
Hinrich vs Thomas?
Williams vs Brewer?

Z-Bo>Arthur. I take the next 2

« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I like my starters better 1-4, but here's where we differ:

Randolph vs D Arthur?
Hinrich vs Thomas?
Williams vs Brewer?

Z-Bo>Arthur. I take the next 2

Thomas and Hinrich seem equal in my eyes, but I'd need to check the advanced metrics.  ZBO wins obviously, but I think is offset by how bad Derrick Williams is, especially compared to Brewer.

Williams as the main backup SF?  Yikes!  And I should know (although I have him starting for my DKC Lakers), I've been getting raked over the coals.  I''l believe Williams is a good player when I finally see it.  He's basically nothing more than an expiring contract in my eyes, with the slim hope he has a breakout year, and I can get something of value for him.

« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I personally think the Knicks will struggle too much defensively to be an elite team.  They'll win the division due to Boston's concerns, but if all players were actually healthy, Boston is better.

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I personally think the Knicks will struggle too much defensively to be an elite team.  They'll win the division due to Boston's concerns, but if all players were actually healthy, Boston is better.

I don't buy this.

Defensively,

Rubio > Irving
Martin = Hayward
Green > Gallinari
Sanders > Gasol
Lopez > Jonas V.

... and I'm not just saying that to give IP a hard time. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Rubio > Irving
Martin = Hayward
Green > Gallinari
Sanders > Gasol
Lopez > Jonas V.

« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't buy this.

Defensively,

Rubio > Irving
Martin = Hayward
Green > Gallinari
Sanders > Gasol
Lopez > Jonas V.

Eh, you're kinda saying that to give me a hard time. You ranked Hayward and Martin as equals defensively. Equals? No sir.

« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2013, 06:39:34 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Eh, you're kinda saying that to give me a hard time. You ranked Hayward and Martin as equals defensively. Equals? No sir.

That, plus the fact that:

- Rubio's defense is overrated. Steals and blocks are the most overrated metric of defense. Just because Rubio gets a ton of steals doesn't mean he's a good defender, just like how Ibaka getting a ton of blocks doesn't mean he's a good defender.

- Lopez > Valanciunas may be true right now, but things may very well change after this season. Valanciunas already utilizes his physical tools and instincts much better than Lopez does on the defensive end.

- One-vs-one comparisons are incredibly flawed to begin with. The magnitude of difference is greatly varying for each comparison, and the difference between Rubio/Sanders/Lopez and Irving/Gasol/Valanciunas isn't as much as, say, Green and Gallinari.

- ...MARTIN = HAYWARD?! REALLY?!

The starting lineups of both teams are pretty even in terms of defense IMO. Boston gets the nod overall thanks to their bench though.

« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2013, 06:55:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't buy this.

Defensively,

Rubio > Irving
Martin = Hayward
Green > Gallinari
Sanders > Gasol
Lopez > Jonas V.

Did you check their synergy stats?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Yeah, but last season also happened to be the one year K-Mart was on a competent defensive team that matched him up with a lot more second-unit players than he's accustomed to. Put Hayward as the backup SG of the Thunder and he'd put up better Synergy stats than K-Mart did.

« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That, plus the fact that:

- Rubio's defense is overrated. Steals and blocks are the most overrated metric of defense. Just because Rubio gets a ton of steals doesn't mean he's a good defender, just like how Ibaka getting a ton of blocks doesn't mean he's a good defender.

I didn't say Rubio was the best defender in the league.  I said he's better than Kyrie Irving.  This shouldn't be controversial.

- Lopez > Valanciunas may be true right now, but things may very well change after this season. Valanciunas already utilizes his physical tools and instincts much better than Lopez does on the defensive end.

So, should I be making my evaluations on the present, or how they might possibly be in the future?

- One-vs-one comparisons are incredibly flawed to begin with. The magnitude of difference is greatly varying for each comparison, and the difference between Rubio/Sanders/Lopez and Irving/Gasol/Valanciunas isn't as much as, say, Green and Gallinari.

When four individual defenders are better, and the other matchup is equal, it's hard to say the team with the poorer individual defenders is better.

- ...MARTIN = HAYWARD?! REALLY?!

Martin held his man to fewer points per possession, and to a lower shooting percentage and eFG%.  He had a better defensive rating, by a full 3 points per 100 possessions.  He had more steals.  He had nearly double the defensive win shares that Hayward did.  He allowed the same opponents PER.

So, yeah, continue to break CelticsBlog rules by posting mocking images and making exaggerated, sarcastic statements.  However, evidence (rather than reputation, or whatever you're basing your opinion on), suggests that it's charitable at this stage to call Hayward the defensive equal to Martin.

« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, but last season also happened to be the one year K-Mart was on a competent defensive team that matched him up with a lot more second-unit players than he's accustomed to. Put Hayward as the backup SG of the Thunder and he'd put up better Synergy stats than K-Mart did.

Martin played 28 minutes per game, so he was matched up against plenty of starters.  It's not like Hayward didn't play against bench players; he only made 27 starts.