Author Topic: What about Al Horford (Don't call me Big Al)?  (Read 5349 times)

Re: What about Big Al?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 03:25:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How many 1st round picks we getting to take him on?  And what salary is going out since we'd be above the line we can't cross.

Theis $5 mm
Edwards $1.5 mm
Semi  $1.7 mm

Horford is $27.5 mm.    Shedding $8.2 mm would get us under the hard cap.

Theis + trade exception for Horford is a giant downgrade.  Plus, we’d be over the tax.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Still, I'd love to hear what situations you are monitoring.

I am not sure there is anything to monitor right now.  I think most if not all teams are pretty much done and just starting to focus on the season.  Orlando is probably a team to watch.  If they suck, Fournier could be dumped.  I think Thad Young is a possibility.  I am thinking players in that talent and cost range for part of the TPE and only if they are offered on the relative cheap.  But who we target could change if we suffer some injuries and some new needs emerge.  We might need to start looking for a point guard or something else.

I am also interested in how Philly does.  I think the roster will be on a fairly short leash and who knows who might become available.  I still think that (a healthy) Kemba is a good fit for them so if they decide to trade Simmons, maybe that is the start to a deal (this would be a straight deal, no TPE needed).  Kemba and something for Simmons (and then Simmons becomes our PF)?  I think if Philly does trade Simmons, they will try to get Harden first and foremost but if that fails, maybe they start to look at other options.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Big Al will always be Jefferson to me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 03:39:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Horford is 34. He had a bad year last season, but mostly due to roster construction in Philly.

We could probably get him back with the trade exception.  His $27.5 mm salary just fits. He is under contract control for 3 years, while Theis will be a FA after this season.  We would have to trade out about $7.5 mm in salary due to the hard cap.  Could be done in a separate trade of Theis plus Semi plus Carson I think.  Would be about a wash in picks going out/coming in.

New Lineup:

Kemba/Teague/Smart/Pritchard
Smart/Brown/Romeo/Nesmith
Brown/Tatum/GWillams
Tatum/Horford/GWilliams
Horford/Thompson/RWiliams

You either like or dislike this trade depending on whether you like swapping Theis for Al Horford.  I think that it would be an upgrade for us.  Al has a wider skill set than Daniel, can stretch the floor.  I would want to see whether his defensive abilities are still intact. Didn't really follow him much last season.

Would this be a good move or a bad move?

Naw

No way want that guy back.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
 I love Al but not on that contract.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 03:50:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
I’d take Al back if he was bought out by OKC on a vet minimum.

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I’d take Al back if he was bought out by OKC on a vet minimum.

+1

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 04:48:17 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Love Al.

But no.

It would cost too much either in player salaries that would need to be shed to get salary down or in the cost of going over the tax and thus triggering the repeater penalties two years earlier than necessary.

Neither cost is worth paying unless we get a sure-thing-over-the-hump-difference-maker that makes us favorites this year.   I love Al Horford and I do agree he probably still has game in him, but he's not _that_ huge of an upgrade over Theis that we should pay that cost.

Our more compelling roster need is actually at wing, not center.   If we use the TPE at all this year it will probably be closer to the deadline and should be for a veteran wing who can shoot and has some switchability on defense.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

LOL

Yes!  That was absolutely what I was looking for when I clicked on this thread.  Despite my brain telling me that I was pretty certain he hadn't played in a couple of years, I was still open to the idea.
Yup

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

LOL

Yes!  That was absolutely what I was looking for when I clicked on this thread.  Despite my brain telling me that I was pretty certain he hadn't played in a couple of years, I was still open to the idea.

Haha.  Let’s bring back Big Al and Perk. We don’t need no stinking floor spacing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I think that ship has sailed - especially at his salary and for what he showed last season.

Exactly. Boston wasn't willing to pay him before - why would they take on that contract a year later in his career?

There's a lot of agreement that he was a bad fit in Philly. No doubt a change of scenery is called for. But some number of GM's have to be saying: 'well, I thought his whole thing was his adaptability; maybe he's just getting old.'

Now if he gets bought out and is interested in coming back at the BAE, then let's consider it.

Definitely a different set of circumstances. I would strongly consider it, in fact.

I'd much rather see what shakes on the market then do the retread/nostalgia thing.

GM's and PoBO's can talk themselves into sentimental preferences, and justify them as getting leadership in the locker room. But Al is not over the hill; the big question is the price.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 09:30:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think that ship has sailed - especially at his salary and for what he showed last season.

Exactly. Boston wasn't willing to pay him before - why would they take on that contract a year later in his career?

There's a lot of agreement that he was a bad fit in Philly. No doubt a change of scenery is called for. But some number of GM's have to be saying: 'well, I thought his whole thing was his adaptability; maybe he's just getting old.'

Now if he gets bought out and is interested in coming back at the BAE, then let's consider it.

Definitely a different set of circumstances. I would strongly consider it, in fact.

I'd much rather see what shakes on the market then do the retread/nostalgia thing.

GM's and PoBO's can talk themselves into sentimental preferences, and justify them as getting leadership in the locker room. But Al is not over the hill; the big question is the price.

If Al wasn't a leader in the locker room last time around, there's no reason to believe he'd be so now. All the more reason to not look back at the past.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 09:40:27 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
 I thought AL Jefferson retired.   
Diggles

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This year? Heck no. He's not worth the salary we'd have to dump just to make it work.

Next summer, though? I'd be all for it, on two conditions: 1. he looks better in OKC than he did in Philly (basically, if he proves that fit was the problem there, not age) and 2. There's no better options available (and I mean better players, even if they cost more assets wise. I'd rather give up a couple of picks for a younger guy than get Al for free, but if nothing materializes then he would be one heck of a return for a TPE). Not to mention, it would basically have to be part of going all in for a title
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 11:40:24 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
That ship has sailed, I think. The cost was too prohibitive last year, I doubt it's all of a sudden become more palatable now.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D