Author Topic: ESPN Layoffs (JVG Let Go)  (Read 19106 times)

Re: ESPN Layoffs (JVG Let Go)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2023, 12:47:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Rumored last week they are completely redoing their radio and TV lineups.  Getting rid of high priced talent for cheaper ones.

They'll surely bring in people who will tell us that the officiating is fine and dandy...every call right...and the egregiously terrible calls will be called "borderline".

Agree...the draft coverage was horrific. 

At least JVG provided some honest opinions...about calls and other things.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2023, 01:04:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
JVG and Jalen Rose IMO were actually some of the better guys on ESPN. A shame

Wish Mark Jackson would get the boot. He's absolutely horrible.

I think a lot of these guys are going to get scooped up pretty fast though, especially by rivals FOX.

One thing that won't change though is the NBA Countdown show being trash. SAS yelling, ads like half the time. Not worth it at all

It makes too much sense for TNT to snap up JVG to join his brother. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2023, 01:11:35 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Yeah, dumping big salary for low salary is the way of the world, regardless of quality.  Even better if you can get rid of an old white man and replace him with a diversity hire.

Disney ruins everything they touch.

Well to be fair ESPN was pretty sorry before Disney also.
I worked with ESPN in the late 80s then started my own company around 1992.  ESPN allowed our company to receive 22 National Sports Emmy awards, the Edward R. Murrow award and many others.

To say that ESPN has always been bad is not only wrong, it is insulting! ABC and ESPN have been one since 1984! Disney bought them in 1995.  Wide World of Sports set the standard for Saturday Sports Coverage!

I don't think any Network has much of a chance to make a lot of money anymore. That's just the way it is.
That includes TNT, NBC, CBS. Just the way the future is going to be

I don't mind people trashing ESPN, Just remember, there are real people behind Networks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 01:20:30 PM by lbgreen33 »

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2023, 01:32:14 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I think there’s a very good chance that people aren’t disparaging the people who make the wheels turn, but perhaps the decision making of the last 20 years or so at the top level. You are right that Disney doesn’t factor in very much if at all to this, though.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2023, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Matt Hasselback, Steve Young, Suzy Kolber, Todd McShay, Ashley Brewer, & Jason Fitz all out per NY Post.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2023, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was better analyst of the two, I always thought.  Mark Jackson is just an NBA shill.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2023, 01:53:57 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Matt Hasselback, Steve Young, Suzy Kolber, Todd McShay, Ashley Brewer, & Jason Fitz all out per NY Post.
wow surprise by Kolber & McShay
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2023, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
I think there’s a very good chance that people aren’t disparaging the people who make the wheels turn, but perhaps the decision making of the last 20 years or so at the top level. You are right that Disney doesn’t factor in very much if at all to this, though.
I hear you. I know a lot of people there and times have changed a lot. For what it is worth, the decisions are about saving money. ESPN, was at one time the jewel of Disney. But, no more, I think they are chasing the good old days of high profit. Those Days are Gone!!

Many of our sports now are controlled by the Leagues. They set the narritive, Don't deviate too much from the script or risk losing money.

I think Forums like this are a better place to discuss things, because we can say what we want!!!

I apologize for getting frustrated and taking some things too personal, I long for the good old days.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2023, 02:37:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Ignoring who specifically was let go, someone at ESPN is really stupid to make major cuts right as NBA fans were going to binge ESPN for commentary over the next week as we enter free agency.  They really should have waited a couple of weeks.  Now they’re the story instead of covering the story.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2023, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
They need let go all those “fantasy” football experts, they don’t know anything
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
They need let go all those “fantasy” football experts, they don’t know anything
I am sure they make a lot of money from clicks and views off those "experts" though.
#JKJB

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2023, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Wish the c's hire Jeff, much rather him than Joe.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Rumored last week they are completely redoing their radio and TV lineups.  Getting rid of high priced talent for cheaper ones.

They'll surely bring in people who will tell us that the officiating is fine and dandy...every call right...and the egregiously terrible calls will be called "borderline".

Agree...the draft coverage was horrific. 

At least JVG provided some honest opinions...about calls and other things.
Don't watch that many NBA games anymore but I agree on JVG.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 03:55:13 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
Sadly, Gambling is becoming a New way for Networks to make money.
Have you noticed all the ads and affiliations with Gambling? That is because there is a Ton of money there.

There is Not a ton of money at the Networks anymore , they are looking for ways to bring in money.

Funny, They Trashed Pete Rose for supposed gambling, But if the Networks can Make money, suddenly it okay.

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2023, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Sadly, Gambling is becoming a New way for Networks to make money.
Have you noticed all the ads and affiliations with Gambling? That is because there is a Ton of money there.

There is Not a ton of money at the Networks anymore , they are looking for ways to bring in money.

Funny, They Trashed Pete Rose for supposed gambling, But if the Networks can Make money, suddenly it okay.

Don’t think this gambling boom will last all that long. Most people lose money on it and some of the sites were basically operating Ponzi schemes to get people to sign up (2k in free bets if you deposit 2k)