Author Topic: Celtics expect to re-sign Pierce (Chris Forsberg twitter)  (Read 6515 times)

Celtics expect to re-sign Pierce (Chris Forsberg twitter)
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
http://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg

Pierce deal could be done sooner, deal for Ray Allen could take longer....

Re: Celtics expect to re-sign Pierce (Chris Forsberg twitter)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:49:16 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Hmm so is this good or bad?

I mean I would love for Pierce to retire as a Celtic, but not at the cost of us hurting the future.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So it was only about 12 hours of panic...not bad.  Now we can get back to the more reasonable discussion of what to do with Ray Allen and the MLE.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm glad to learn we're going to re-sign Pierce... if it means it's the right deal (i.e not more than 2 years at a reasonable price).

I hope we re-sign Ray too but I'm quite surprised to learn that Ray's contract negotiations will last longer in the summer... strange.

Here is the tweet I'm referring to :

According to the sources, the Celtics expect the Pierce deal to be wrapped up sooner than later but Ray Allen could take longer into summer.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Already so confident?

Did they already have a deal in place then? I'll be very interested to hear the numbers.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:55:37 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I'm glad to learn we're going to re-sign Pierce... if it means it's the right deal (i.e not more than 2 years at a reasonable price).

I hope we re-sign Ray too but I'm quite surprised to learn that Ray's contract negotiations will last longer in the summer... strange.

Here is the tweet I'm referring to :

According to the sources, the Celtics expect the Pierce deal to be wrapped up sooner than later but Ray Allen could take longer into summer.

Can't imagine the Pierce deal being for less than three years.

Also, Ray will take longer because Boston could be outbid for his services and it seems clear there's a limit to how much they're willing to offer, in both dollars and years.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:23 PM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Since he opted out I thought they would no longer be able to re-negotiate with the Celtics till 7/1?

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Hmm so is this good or bad?

I mean I would love for Pierce to retire as a Celtic, but not at the cost of us hurting the future.

Yea, I'm curious about the price. I'm really hoping it's reasonable and doesn't hurt us in the future (I'm so amped for the summer of 2012, it's been my saving grace after the finals).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I still have my fingers crossed that Ray and Paul make history by taking minimum deals so we can sign a big FA.

With that said, Pierce will probably sign a 3 or 4 year deal with options on the last two years. It would something like this 14,12,10,8 or 12,10,8,8.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
PP and ray will both be back.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
I still have my fingers crossed that Ray and Paul make history by taking minimum deals so we can sign a big FA.

With that said, Pierce will probably sign a 3 or 4 year deal with options on the last two years. It would something like this 14,12,10,8 or 12,10,8,8.

that sounds about right to me.  Probably the first one .. wouldn't want PP to captain the 2011 champs for anything less than 14m  ;D
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Can't imagine the Pierce deal being for less than three years.

Also, Ray will take longer because Boston could be outbid for his services and it seems clear there's a limit to how much they're willing to offer, in both dollars and years.
I think you're probably right on both counts. 

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I also think Ray has to know that he's still the second most valuable asset Boston has (after Rondo) and probably wants a deal that makes it less like Ainge trades him.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I also think Ray has to know that he's still the second most valuable asset Boston has (after Rondo) and probably wants a deal that makes it less like Ainge trades him.

Mike

Wouldn't surprise me if Pierce pushes hard for a no-trade clause.  Pierce wants to be in Boston, and it wouldn't surprise me if he signed a reasonably favorable deal to return, but with a no-trade.  He knows that Danny's apt to trade anyone.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
I agree with the above poster who said Paul won't sign for less than 3 years.  It makes no sense that he takes a two year deal with the looming lockout that may or may not happen.  If that was the case he would ride out the 21m he is owed this year.  Paul doesn't want to be 34 and trying to secure a contract after having a season off.  I still think he doesn't sign for less than 15m this season with less money per on the back end of the contract.  He has also talked about wanting to step into a management role and this is the best place for that to happen.