Author Topic: Building Around Rondo  (Read 2228 times)

Building Around Rondo
« on: June 30, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Rondo has finished 4 seasons in the NBA. 3 out of those 4 seasons, Rondo has either contended or won an NBA Championship.

Not many young players start their NBA careers off in that fashion.

Rondo will be 25 in the 2010-2011 season. If we start to rebuild this off season, and I mean straight rebuild = "blow it up", the fastest I can see the Celtics contending for a title is in maybe 4 years.

Rondo will be 28 and still have the back quarter of his NBA career left to, hopefully contend for a title.

However, there are big question marks regarding the future.

- Will there be a labor/players' strike?
- Will the Celtics front office build another contender within Rondo's career?

In my opinion, if we want to make most of Rondo's career as far as trying to win chips, then we have to bring back Doc, Paul, and Ray.

Who's to say Rondo will ever have another chance to contend again? (Who's to say not, I know).

But the reality is that Rondo was 5 points away from his 2nd championship. If we bring the core back again next season and we actually win it all...we would have to try and go for a repeat and defend that title.

That would mean 2 more seasons of Rondo's career contending or winning for a title.

When KG's contract expires after those 2 seasons, we can go straight rebuild mode and Rondo will be 27 in 2012-2013.

4 years later, Rondo will be 31 and hopefully the C's would have built another title contender by then.

Re: Building Around Rondo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm not as big of a Rondo fan as others on this board, he can't shoot worth a [dang], FT line or from the outside, he gets reckless with the roc way to often for me, and seems to lose his confidence at the drop of a hat when it comes to his drives and finishing at the rim.

I'm just not convinced yet that he's a franchise, build around type of guy, a starter, an occasional all-star, some defensive accolades here and there, but build around? I don't know. He'd have to start putting up 20ppg 10assist seasons for me to believe that.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't think you can build around Rondo, but can build with him.  I don't think he'll ever be the "center" of a team but one of the pieces of a really good team, similar to how Pierce, Garnett and Allen fit together.

However, I do think that if you are looking to take apart this team and focus more on Rondo, Ray Allen fits with that style much better than Paul Pierce.  I think Ray could excel in an uptempo team as the trailing three point shooter, even in 2 or 3 years.  I think Pierce needs a much more deliberate offense which would just waste Rondo's strengths.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:27:47 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I don't think you can build around Rondo, but can build with him.  I don't think he'll ever be the "center" of a team but one of the pieces of a really good team, similar to how Pierce, Garnett and Allen fit together.

However, I do think that if you are looking to take apart this team and focus more on Rondo, Ray Allen fits with that style much better than Paul Pierce.  I think Ray could excel in an uptempo team as the trailing three point shooter, even in 2 or 3 years.  I think Pierce needs a much more deliberate offense which would just waste Rondo's strengths.

I see some validity to this point except for all the other things Ray isn't very good at anymore besides the trailing wide open 3's on the break as you mentioned.  Pierce is better at all 'those' other things.  Hopefully we can keep both and Ray can continue to spot up on the break for those trailing wide open 3's we love so much.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46

I see some validity to this point except for all the other things Ray isn't very good at anymore besides the trailing wide open 3's on the break as you mentioned.  Pierce is better at all 'those' other things.  Hopefully we can keep both and Ray can continue to spot up on the break for those trailing wide open 3's we love so much.

Agreed.  My point is just that if the Celtics really REALLY want to build around Rondo, then Allen and KG fit the style and should stay and Pierce and Perk should go (and replaced with better fits). 

If they want to build around Rondo AND others, Pierce is probably a better option to keep than Ray because of what you mentioned.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
I'm not as big of a Rondo fan as others on this board, he can't shoot worth a [dang], FT line or from the outside, he gets reckless with the roc way to often for me, and seems to lose his confidence at the drop of a hat when it comes to his drives and finishing at the rim.

I'm just not convinced yet that he's a franchise, build around type of guy, a starter, an occasional all-star, some defensive accolades here and there, but build around? I don't know. He'd have to start putting up 20ppg 10assist seasons for me to believe that.

Your not suppose to be convinced yet.  Can Rondo even drink yet ?  How old is he ?

Its not like he's a 10 year vet.  He's just getting started.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I can't say for sure if Rondo is indeed a franchise player type of guy.

I also don't believe you can build a championship around a PG, not in today's NBA. (Not unless your PG has the skills to dominate the ball with success). And Rondo's not that type of player.

But I do think that Rondo is the team's best piece right now and if he is your best you have to work with that card.

I still say the best shot for the franchise to contend is now and not X-years down the road where we don't know what might happen...with the league itself or with the franchise's plan to build another contender.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
These discussions are always dangerous on this board, since objectivity and Rondo are rare.

His game is improving rapidly. With that said, he's not good enough offensively yet for me to even consider him a franchise player. Improving, yes. But franchise players don't shoot 25 percent from the foul line and labor with a jumper.

There's still significant room for improvement.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
These discussions are always dangerous on this board, since objectivity and Rondo are rare.

His game is improving rapidly. With that said, he's not good enough offensively yet for me to even consider him a franchise player. Improving, yes. But franchise players don't shoot 25 percent from the foul line and labor with a jumper.

There's still significant room for improvement.

It's not like he shot 25% through the whole playoffs though. If you're gunna take one series, you have to mention that he also shot 83% during the first round.

I do agree though that he needs to hit them more consistentley.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Your not suppose to be convinced yet.  Can Rondo even drink yet ?  How old is he ?

Its not like he's a 10 year vet.  He's just getting started.
[/quote

He is 24 and next season will be his 4th. Next season is kind of a big one. Hopefully he can continue his ascent