Author Topic: Does Brad Stevens get enough credit?  (Read 4304 times)

Does Brad Stevens get enough credit?
« on: November 10, 2023, 03:20:40 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
He just turned a bunch of change into dollar bills in Holiday and Porzingis. In wake of the the Robert Williams injury, I haven't seen enough praise for GM Stevens. This is the best roster in the league 1-6. Four of those 6 players were acquired by Stevens. Tatum and Brown are the others. Bench pieces will be available, but it's much harder to do what Stevens did than many are acknowledging.

Re: Does Brad Stevens get enough credit?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
He just turned a bunch of change into dollar bills in Holiday and Porzingis. In wake of the the Robert Williams injury, I haven't seen enough praise for GM Stevens. This is the best roster in the league 1-6. Four of those 6 players were acquired by Stevens. Tatum and Brown are the others. Bench pieces will be available, but it's much harder to do what Stevens did than many are acknowledging.

We clearly need to win the title for credit to be due. While it is certainly nice to have a contender there are countless gms that have built contenders that nobody knows the name of.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 04:47:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He deserves a ton of credit for his trades.

He also deserves to be critiqued for his free agency failures.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 04:51:21 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 627

We clearly need to win the title for credit to be due. While it is certainly nice to have a contender there are countless gms that have built contenders that nobody knows the name of.

Nonsense. Plenty of GMs win GM of the year without that team winning a title. We can evaluate a GMs job on a good to bad scale, as they make deals, as the season progresses and at the end of rhe year.

That being said, we are only 7 games in. Looks like genius moves so far but it may look different if Porzingis gets injured, free agent acquisitions continue to be unimpressive and, yes, if we flounder in the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 04:57:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Nonsense. Plenty of GMs win GM of the year without that team winning a title. We can evaluate a GMs job on a good to bad scale, as they make deals, as the season progresses and at the end of rhe year.

That being said, we are only 7 games in. Looks like genius moves so far but it may look different if Porzingis gets injured, free agent acquisitions continue to be unimpressive and, yes, if we flounder in the playoffs.

I certainly agree he could win executive of the year without a title. That has happened tons of times. I thought the OP meant something more than that. Anyone remember Gar Forman?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 05:17:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No. He's been awesome.  Opposite of Ainge. Constant improvements all without giving up the farm. Still have room to get better if we don't win it all.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No. He's been awesome.  Opposite of Ainge. Constant improvements all without giving up the farm. Still have room to get better if we don't win it all.

No need to bash Ainge, the guy who put together a championship team and drafted the Jays.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 05:44:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

No need to bash Ainge, the guy who put together a championship team and drafted the Jays.

Agreed. However he failed to move redundant draft picks for players that could help us win now.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 09:06:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Brad can’t be scored any better than ainge if we don’t win a title right? That seems pretty clear to me.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2023, 02:20:30 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Brad can’t be scored any better than ainge if we don’t win a title right? That seems pretty clear to me.

I score him beget than The Old Danny Ainge he replaced.  Horford for Kemba, Derrick White, A pick for Brogdon then flip him again with Assets into Jrue holiday,  Smart for Porzingis and two firsts.

He's been on fire. If this team can't get it done the players need to look in the mirror.  Brad has been doing his job.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2023, 06:37:26 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

You also have to look at his improvements to the team, I think. If Stevens had won a ring with all of Ainge's guys - i.e. keeping the roster that he inherited - how much of that is really to Stevens's credit?

That said, I do think it's pretty clear Stevens is a better GM than a coach, and he was a decent coach.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2023, 06:57:41 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I score him beget than The Old Danny Ainge he replaced.  Horford for Kemba, Derrick White, A pick for Brogdon then flip him again with Assets into Jrue holiday,  Smart for Porzingis and two firsts.

He's been on fire. If this team can't get it done the players need to look in the mirror.  Brad has been doing his job.

Brads job is also to hire a competent head coach.  Joe is Brads guy.  It was pretty clear to a lot of people Joe was in over his head a bit last year.  Brad chose to stick with him bc he believes in him which is admirable but hiring a seasoned vet coach to handle a roster like this is usually the easier path to go.

Needless to say if this team fails and it’s clear coaching and/or philosophy is a big contributor then Brad needs to take a big piece of the blame pie for it
Greg

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2023, 07:24:37 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 375

I think ainge was great but in his later years I think he became too obsessed with his "assets" and always having to win a trade in if he moved them. So he held onto them almost to a fault.

Not sure since makes the trades for white, KP or Holiday which at the times of all those trades looked like we were giving up a lot.

Although there's no need to bash ainge. Only having 1 while he was here was more due to bad luck than anything else. The big 3 got hit by untimely injuries. And that Kyrie/Hayward/Horford team made it to game 7 without Kyrie/Hayward. If that team was healthy I think we beat that untalented cavs team.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2023, 07:39:36 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214

Who are the best players each GM added? KG, Tatum, Brown, Ray, Rondo, and prime Horford for Danny. Jrue, Derrick White, Porzingis, old Al Horford, and Brogdon for Brad. Danny was in charge of the team for a lot longer and in different situations than Brad so that discrepancy isn't Brad's fault, but it's way too glaring to try and say that Brad has done a better job. The best 2 players listed were brought in by Danny, and there's an argument for all 6 of Danny's best being better than any of Brad's best. Brad has been great, but let's not pretend that Danny never did anything.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 08:52:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Brads job is also to hire a competent head coach.  Joe is Brads guy.  It was pretty clear to a lot of people Joe was in over his head a bit last year.  Brad chose to stick with him bc he believes in him which is admirable but hiring a seasoned vet coach to handle a roster like this is usually the easier path to go.

Needless to say if this team fails and it’s clear coaching and/or philosophy is a big contributor then Brad needs to take a big piece of the blame pie for it

To be fair Brad first hired Ime who took us to the Finaks in year one before getting caught with his pants down. Certainly an odd situation,  can't really blame Brad for that one.