Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 61644 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2022, 09:03:43 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
3.  Stevens likes the player, wants to offer a contract, but ownership wouldn't let him because of financial reasons.
I don't think (3) applies in any case.

Agreed. Boston's carrying two non-guaranteed players, so they could waive either/both to sign Whiteside/Cousins/whomever tomorrow and not impact the financial picture. Financials just aren't a consideration there because it's a wash.

Hey, I'm hoping you are right about this, but I'm not the only one who has brought up the possibility that ownership has an eye on their bottom line more than they should. Last season, the team that spent the most won the title. The team that lost ran out of gas, among other things and then chose not to use a significant trade exception this summer. Having said that, I also put a high priority on team fit, team chemistry and how a new player will impact that locker room.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2022, 12:24:58 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
3.  Stevens likes the player, wants to offer a contract, but ownership wouldn't let him because of financial reasons.

Agreed. Boston's carrying two non-guaranteed players, so they could waive either/both to sign Whiteside/Cousins/whomever tomorrow and not impact the financial picture. Financials just aren't a consideration there because it's a wash.

Hey, I'm hoping you are right about this, but I'm not the only one who has brought up the possibility that ownership has an eye on their bottom line more than they should. Last season, the team that spent the most won the title. The team that lost ran out of gas, among other things and then chose not to use a significant trade exception this summer. Having said that, I also put a high priority on team fit, team chemistry and how a new player will impact that locker room.

I mean, sure, but specifically when it comes to signing a guy who's currently out of the league, waiving one of the non-guaranteed guys and signing someone like Cousins or Whiteside is cost-neutral. Tax payments may play into the decision to use one of the remaining exceptions or not (it's worth saying that there also aren't any obvious great choices either), but they don't matter when it comes to Vonleh vs. Whiteside.

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2022, 03:41:10 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
Rob Williams says it’s “a day to day process.” Says there’s a possibility he could play in LA.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2022, 03:49:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach
Rob Williams says it’s “a day to day process.” Says there’s a possibility he could play in LA.

It’s about to go from bad to worse for the rest of the NBA.

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach

True, we actually do need an extra body against Anthony Davis later in the road trip. Blake Griffin and Noah Vonleh will get eaten alive by him. Unfortunately, Horford is still out.

Nice to see him progressing well and could return earlier than Xmas.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

The team didn't run out of gas in the final, Tatum did.  We weren't winning a title while Tatum gets outplayed by Andrew Wiggins, and having more bench depth wasn't going to fix that.

The J's just needed one more year.

« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2022, 05:10:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Adam Himmelsbach: Joe Mazzulla also couldn’t hold back a a smile when asked about Rob playing vs Warriors. Certainly sounds like if there are no setbacks he’ll be on the court against Golden State.– via Twitter AdamHimmelsbach
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: December 09, 2022, 06:32:14 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

The team didn't run out of gas in the final, Tatum did.  We weren't winning a title while Tatum gets outplayed by Andrew Wiggins, and having more bench depth wasn't going to fix that.

For sure JT’s performance fell off. But games 3-6 the Cs really got nothing from their bench. Grant and D White’s plus-minus for the finals were -9.2 and -10.3. Which … is bad, and added to the load the Js had to carry during the series. PP really disappeared as well. Would 5-10 points more from these guys have got us over the hump? Can’t say, but it might have - we came really close to a 3-1 lead.

I predict much better play from all three of these guys - and the Js - if we get back this year.

« Reply #128 on: December 09, 2022, 09:03:27 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

For sure JT’s performance fell off. But games 3-6 the Cs really got nothing from their bench. Grant and D White’s plus-minus for the finals were -9.2 and -10.3. Which … is bad, and added to the load the Js had to carry during the series. PP really disappeared as well. Would 5-10 points more from these guys have got us over the hump? Can’t say, but it might have - we came really close to a 3-1 lead.

I predict much better play from all three of these guys - and the Js - if we get back this year.

Plus and minus is very noisy though. A lot of factors influence it. If youre main guy isnt producing role players get pushed out of their comfort zone to try and produce more. White's minutes were mostly without Rob, in those lineups we usually had grant who played bad. Of course his on off numbers gonna be affected, esp if the stars they were in with turn the ball over a lot and miss shots. JT was shooting airbalks and threes that were nowhere close, that's how bad he was playing.

« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2022, 09:40:26 PM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23

« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2022, 09:52:35 PM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2022, 03:38:56 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
In the Celtics last 41 road games (the equivalent of a full season), they're 27-14, with a ridiculous +8.87 scoring differential.

That would be the NBA's best road margin in a half-century.

—————————

Source: Sean Grande
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2022, 09:44:14 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Ugh…

John Karalis: Al Horford is out again tomorrow, but this time listed as personal reasons. Still no Rob – via Twitter John_Karalis
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2022, 11:47:07 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Ugh…

John Karalis: Al Horford is out again tomorrow, but this time listed as personal reasons. Still no Rob – via Twitter John_Karalis

I think it's a good idea for Al to sit out tonight's game with the Clips and be ready for Davis and the Lakers tomorrow.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2022, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Ugh…

I think it's a good idea for Al to sit out tonight's game with the Clips and be ready for Davis and the Lakers tomorrow.

Yeah, I assume/hope this is because they got tired of listing back soreness when he sits one half of a back to back. Zubac is a much better matchup for Blake than AD.