Author Topic: Ball for Brown?  (Read 9243 times)

Re: Ball for Brown?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 12:08:57 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Ball's a lock down defender? I really think Jaylen is the better defender than Ball and Jaylen is better on offense too. What was the question?

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ball's a lock down defender? I really think Jaylen is the better defender than Ball and Jaylen is better on offense too. What was the question?
that's what immediately popped into my head too when I read that proposal and reasoning.  that and the trade is outrageously awful for the C's

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am just going to say no. 

I think Brown is the better player, better fit and (if it came to this) the better trade chip.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
First thought is not for Ball but it does make some sense, is he really that good on D?

Yes, he has really come a long way with his defense, he’s long and tries extremely hard on that end of the floor.

I still would not do that trade, build around Tatum, Smart, and Brown.  If there is another way to get Ball I would be in favor of doing it though. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

- ... a wing who is redundant relative to Tatum...

Can't agree with that. I think that they're very complementary. Both can guard up or down, Brown can take the quicker wing, both can spot up... etc.

- We lose a better scorer in Brown, but Ball is superior defensively and certainly at passing.

Ball is a very good defender but not better than Brown.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ball needs to show he can shoot in a functional matter and stay on the court before I'd invest anything in him.

He's shown flashes of talent and productivity, but you can't have a TS .463 and be a rotation player.

Not to mention how terrible he is at free throws!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 02:53:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ball needs to show he can shoot in a functional matter and stay on the court before I'd invest anything in him.

He's shown flashes of talent and productivity, but you can't have a TS .463 and be a rotation player.

Not to mention how terrible he is at free throws!
He's also entering the Rondo/Drummond zone where he doesn't want to get fouled to go to the line. Which is incredibly destructive to your offense from a ball handler or big man. (Drummond has been better since he improved as a FT shooter)

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Goodness, no. I don't want Ball in a Celtics uniform. Ever.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 04:22:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
No, just no....lol

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Ugh..bad trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I sincerely apologize if the pseudo-intellectualism joke was offensive. Did not mean to offend. Was intended as some light humor about the combined departure of Brown and Kyrie, who may have not got along since they’re so much alike in personality?

I’m surprised people are so down on Ball. He’s got potential to be every bit as good as Simmons IMHO. I love a pass-first PG who can defend. John Stockton is possibly my all-time favorite non-Celtic.

There’s only one ball and we’ve got Kemba, Tatum and Hayward. I just think Brown is the odd man out if we can trade him for a potentially AAA PG who’s got two years left on his rookie deal.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 10:28:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I sincerely apologize if the pseudo-intellectualism joke was offensive. Did not mean to offend. Was intended as some light humor about the combined departure of Brown and Kyrie, who may have not got along since they’re so much alike in personality?

I’m surprised people are so down on Ball. He’s got potential to be every bit as good as Simmons IMHO. I love a pass-first PG who can defend. John Stockton is possibly my all-time favorite non-Celtic.

There’s only one ball and we’ve got Kemba, Tatum and Hayward. I just think Brown is the odd man out if we can trade him for a potentially AAA PG who’s got two years left on his rookie deal.
I think you're massively overlooking just how injury-prone Ball has been. Kyrie Irving was more durable at the start of his career, and everyone thought he was very fragile.

Plus, guys like Stockton had career TS%'s around 14 points higher than Lonzo. He is a complete game-breaker because he cannot score
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Brown can play offense and defense. Pass.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 12:20:49 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Brown can play offense and defense. Pass.

I think the trade has to be Ball, Hayes and Alexander-Walker...