Author Topic: Mumford & Sons - Wilder Mind  (Read 2506 times)

Mumford & Sons - Wilder Mind
« on: May 05, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Downloaded the new Mumford album

Obviously it is well produced and at its base it is true Mumford stuff (driving beats, lyrics that can be construed to be confusingly spiritual or darkly romantic, the occasional F bomb, etc.), but I kind of miss the banjos.

I can kind of see how this is their attempt to progress and move forward but I'm not sure if it will end up resonating as much as their earlier works for me.

Still, all in all I have no other complaints and I'm enjoying the album so far.

anyone else have thoughts?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: Mumford & Sons - Wilder Mind
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Just saw them in Graham Norton Show. A nice song but nothing like Little Lion Man.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »

Offline SaCaCh

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Missing that hint of fun and excitement of the other albums. Nice but if this was their first album I wouldn't listen again.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:19:20 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Why no banjos?

Old time/bluegrass is in right now

I just had to post this btw

Punch brothers is one of my favorite bands, and when i saw them backing up marcus mumford, i gained a lot of respect for the guy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gU3sXJcx_vI
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
after listening for a week or so, I'm really enjoying the album - it seems more subtle than their other efforts but it works for me

I gather that they didn't want to be lumped in with the whole neo-blue-grass movement and want to stand on their own - continuing to grow and develop their sound as they mature

of course, that might cost them in terms of popularity, as GratefulCs points out

probably no huge radio hits on this album, though I could see The Wolf getting some run

I used to have a handful of artists where I would buy their next album without hearing a single track, but that list has dwindled down to basically zero these days because every time I do that I'm disappointed.

I think in the future I'll move to picking and choosing which songs to download - you know, like a modern music listener
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)