Author Topic: Why the celtics should not draft Kristaps Porzingis at 17#  (Read 25577 times)

Re: Why the celtics should not draft Kristaps Porzingis at 17#
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2016, 07:41:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A broken clock is right twice a day folks.  Big difference between Porzingas production overseas and Benders.

Here is the full draft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NBA_draft

Besides Porzingas and Mario Hezonja how many are doing well?

Bender is not in their league, even remotely.  Nice try.

« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2016, 07:58:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
A broken clock is right twice a day folks.  Big difference between Porzingas production overseas and Benders.

Here is the full draft

There's really not a huge difference between 2013-14 Porzingis and 2015-16 Bender. It's perhaps silly to think that Bender will jump to the heights of Porzingis in the next 2 years but it is off base to say that at the age of 18 the two were not at a similar level.

As for who else is doing well Mudiay counts as an international prospect due to his nationality and the fact he played in China, he's doing alright. Have any of the others even come to the NBA yet?

Since 2010, International prospects in or near the lottery that have been successes are:
Porzingis, Hezonja, Mudiay, Nurkic, Antetokounmpo, Schroeder, Valanciunas

Those that have been busts/haven't come over yet:
Vesely, Biyombo (may be harsh), Saric, Noguiera, Seraphin

All picked in the top 16 or 17 picks. I excluded any international prospects who played in the NCAA as scouts would see them as much as the American prospects. It's not a bad list. Only Vesely was a true bust being picked at 6. Biyombo has turned out alright if not great value, he was a CHA pick if that means much.. Saric hasn't come over yet but looks to at least be a decent player. The other two were picked in the teens.

So really based off of those names Bender at least deserves consideration at #3. He is by no means a Jan Vesely.

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Lol TP for footey and NorthernLightning. It was interesting looking back and seeing just how wrong some people were based on their "scouting reports" :laugh:
- LilRip

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Skimming through this thread was hilarious. Kudos to NorthernLightning for vehemently defending his stance on Porzingus and for being pretty spot on.

We often tend to discuss (argue) topics that will only be resolved after a few years so it's interesting to occasionally glimpse back into the archives to see how right or wrong we were.

I brought this up a year ago to give props to NorthernLightning only to learn he had been banned for racist comments.   :(

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Lol TP for footey and NorthernLightning. It was interesting looking back and seeing just how wrong some people were based on their "scouting reports" :laugh:
Who, the guy who thought he may "play SF in his rookie year"? It's not happening for Porzingis, and  it's not happening for Bender. Folks should get over that idea.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26

Here is the full draft

Porzingas was more than a year older when he was drafted. The Euro bigs are notoriously slower to physically mature than their American counterparts.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Here is the full draft

It's an international game. The foreign influx will only continue. Just embrace it.

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2016, 03:25:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are we just ignoring the difference between #17 and #3?

I'd gamble on Bender at #17. At that stage, you can gamble without too much risk. If you take a bust at #3, it really can set you back,

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Euro bigs are notoriously slower to physically mature than their American counterparts.
I don't think this is accurate -- and if it is, the difference is certainly not "notorious". You either can play or you can't, and if you can, that's evident pretty early on.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Skimming through this thread was hilarious. Kudos to NorthernLightning for vehemently defending his stance on Porzingus and for being pretty spot on.

We often tend to discuss (argue) topics that will only be resolved after a few years so it's interesting to occasionally glimpse back into the archives to see how right or wrong we were.

I brought this up a year ago to give props to NorthernLightning only to learn he had been banned for racist comments.   :(

How did you find that out?