Author Topic: Unlikely but something to think about  (Read 3195 times)

Unlikely but something to think about
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Here's a blurb buried in a hoopsworld article:

The Dallas Mavericks have been feverishly working the phones trying to find a trade partner who's willing to take Shawn Marion, DeShawn Stevenson and Matt Carroll. Not surprisingly, teams have been reluctant to even have that conversation, and certainly not for anything of real value.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16785#ixzz0tVOxVQ2R

Marion for Sheed's contract works straight up, great 3/4 for us. Unfortunately I think Dallas wants size (we are lacking that on our roster too) not cap relief and Marion's contract may go longer than Danny wants, but we could dream can't we?

Then we could get a minimum player at the two and we're in business.

Re: Unlikely but something to think about
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
well if they can find a third team who wants cap

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Don't know if I trust the source, but it makes sense for the Celtics to get involved with these talks. What about a three way deal with Golden State centering around Marion-Biedrinis-Sheed's contract

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Although I think Marion is a nice player, I think we have bigger needs, like a 2/3.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Don't know if I trust the source, but it makes sense for the Celtics to get involved with these talks. What about a three way deal with Golden State centering around Marion-Biedrinis-Sheed's contract

That would make sense...

It seems as though Danny isn't willing to go beyond 2 years for anyone other than Pierce and Rondo.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Marion averaged a whopping 8.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in Dallas' first round flameout in the playoffs.  He'd certainly be better than nothing but he's never been that productive in a half court offense.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
He can play the 3, and Pierce can play some 2, so he could work as the primary wing backup (a big slow, but also has size advantages).  Bring back Marquis and you have a nice 2/3 rotation.  

Don't see it happening, but Marion's a world better than most of our options.  Unfortunately, the contract goes as long as Pierce's.  

Don't see Dallas doing it unless we maybe included Perk or Baby.  I don't like either idea that much; however, if one went, Marion could play some backup 4 and really isn't much more undersized than Baby.  

Don't see it happening though.  Can't see Cuban dumping salary without getting something immediate in return. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:18:55 PM by Jon »

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »

Kiorrik

Marion's shot is ... I can't watch it.

I'd welcome him in though. We do have some spots to fill.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 11:33:41 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Marion would be one of the best additions that might be in the realm of possible. He is a 3. He can play the 4. He can defend 2's and some 1's. His shot is ugly but has been consistent in the past. He never has plays run for him. I think he would be perfect as our primary backup at both wing positions.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
Matt Carrols contract makes TA look like a steal.

As for Marion, I have never been a fan of him and he is most effective when playing up tempo small ball.  I don't see the C's doing this much and Marion is getting older so this type of play is not going to be effective for him for much longer.  He is a good defender though and was the best defender on a defenseless Phoenix Suns Team whatever that means.

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I don't believe that report about Shawn Marion. I don't think he is available.