Author Topic: Can Josh Howard be S&T'd from WAS if his rights have been renounced?  (Read 7478 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Just reading the Yahoo! Sports team report on Washington (i really like these pages, by the way), and it says that WAS had to renounce Howard, Miller and Foye to get under the cap and complete the Hinrich deal ~~

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au37MD2.EQQh3K67snhVfI6KPKB4?slug=teamreports-2010-nba-WAS

If so, can he still be signed-n-traded using sheed's deal, or is that off the table? thanks.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Can Josh Howard be S&T'd from WAS if his rights have been renounced?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
good question ...that I don't have an answer to

someone mentioned that you can un-renounce free agents, but I'm not sure what the point is if that is true
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
You can S&T a renounced free agent only if you have cap room to do so; you can't sign that player using Bird rights.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, hoopshype has them at 47 million in salary, but I don't know how updates it is (Hinrich is listed, so it can't be too outdated), so it looks like they have the space to pull off a sign and trade.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/washington.htm

But as I said in another thread, is a first round pick really enough to entice them to do this?  There have been some teams over the past few years looking to trade OUT of the first round.  

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, hoopshype has them at 47 million in salary, but I don't know how updates it is (Hinrich is listed, so it can't be too outdated), so it looks like they have the space to pull off a sign and trade.

But as I said in another thread, is a first round pick really enough to entice them to do this?  There have been some teams over the past few years looking to trade OUT of the first round. 

$3 million in cash is probably all the incentive they need, I imagine, if Howard makes it clear that he'd like to leave.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

But as I said in another thread, is a first round pick really enough to entice them to do this?  There have been some teams over the past few years looking to trade OUT of the first round. 

$3 million in cash is probably all the incentive they need, I imagine, if Howard makes it clear that he'd like to leave.

Good point. 

How much does Howard want is the question.  He's coming off an injury, which knocks down his value; however, prior to that, from '07-09 he averaged nearly 20 ppg on a contending Dallas team and made an All Star team.  He probably isn't unjustified in asking for Rasheed-like money.  Will Wyc give him that AND pay Washington 3 million?

On a plus note, Howard likely doesn't want more than a year contract, since he likely sees himself looking for a bigger contract after a year of proving he's healthy.  So we shouldn't have to worry about years. 

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Agreed -- and / or any pick. Ted Leonsis has made it clear he intends to build the Wiz through the draft, just as he did with the Caps.

Is there any larger trade here that could make sense? Obviously unlikely they give up McGee, and not sure what else we could get and still want.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 10:37:42 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
dare I invoke the name of Yi?   :P
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 10:40:33 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
dare I invoke the name of Yi?   :P

Wow, that's brave.

I've killed men for far less.  LOL!

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I don't see much else going in either direction that makes much sense. it would likely just be a straight up deal -- howard for sheed's deal and incentives.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 11:35:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Adding Yi not a bad idea.  He might complement Rondo. Just needs to learn how to play D.  Could become good bench guy at 3/4. has 3 point range for sure.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Adding Yi not a bad idea.  He might complement Rondo. Just needs to learn how to play D.  Could become good bench guy at 3/4. has 3 point range for sure.

why would they trade him, and for who?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

But as I said in another thread, is a first round pick really enough to entice them to do this?  There have been some teams over the past few years looking to trade OUT of the first round.  

Good point.  

How much does Howard want is the question.  He's coming off an injury, which knocks down his value; however, prior to that, from '07-09 he averaged nearly 20 ppg on a contending Dallas team and made an All Star team.  He probably isn't unjustified in asking for Rasheed-like money.  Will Wyc give him that AND pay Washington 3 million?

On a plus note, Howard likely doesn't want more than a year contract, since he likely sees himself looking for a bigger contract after a year of proving he's healthy.  So we shouldn't have to worry about years.  

Probably a two year deal with a player option is what he would get from us at most. Think the contract that Ray Allen just signed but at a lower cap number.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:16:47 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
OK, I have it.  Trade Sheed, Cash, and a second round pick for Howard (2 years, 10 million) and Oberto (1 year, 2.5 million).

Then, a month after Bradley's contract being signed, trade him, along with Laffayette and Gaffney for Rudy Fernandez. 

Sign a vet minimum backup PG like say, Eddie House!

And here we have it (with depth filled in by more vet minimum guys and rookies):

Rondo, House
Ray, Rudy
Pierce, Howard
KG, Davis
Perk, JO, Oberto

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
OK, I have it.  Trade Sheed, Cash, and a second round pick for Howard (2 years, 10 million) and Oberto (1 year, 2.5 million).

Then, a month after Bradley's contract being signed, trade him, along with Laffayette and Gaffney for Rudy Fernandez. 

Sign a vet minimum backup PG like say, Eddie House!

And here we have it (with depth filled in by more vet minimum guys and rookies):

Rondo, House
Ray, Rudy
Pierce, Howard
KG, Davis
Perk, JO, Oberto

I'd like it, but does Washington do it?  Does Howard settle for that little?  How about Nate as the backup pg over House?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur