Author Topic: Push for Big Al  (Read 9409 times)

Re: Push for Big Al
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I am always skeptical about suggestions to get back our former players since it is likely that someone is just too nostalgic. Look at all the threads to get back Gomes.

I'd rather get someone who can play defense.

Well then:
-Point out another more glaring weakness on the Heat
-Point out another more glaring weakness for the C's
-Find a player that has constantly been rumored to be available that helps with both that isn't a former C.

I'm not emotionally attached to Al. I thought I was pretty clear in putting forth the proposition that Miami seems to have extreme strengths from 2-4 on offense and defense and could have a clear weakness defending the post. Can you think of another bread and butter elite player that is available that's not an ex-celtic? I'm open to suggestions.
Clevland was thinking the same way when they god Shaq to matchup with Howard. Then they lost to us in the playoffs and never faced the Magic.

Orlando built their team to matchup better with LA and Clev, neither of which the faced. We always had a much more difficult time defending Turkoglu than Carter.

I'm more concerned about getting the best possible team we can, and that means decent bang for the buck. We already have 4 rotation guys at PF and C. We have no one to backup up any other position.

We need a backup wing before anything else. That is by far our most glaring weakness at the moment.

Wing is also where our starters will be playing the most minutes other than Rondo.  We need another big and we need a backup wing, in whatever order they come.  At this point we have more room for a borderline all-star in our bigs rotation than we do in our wings rotation.....I'd like a nice wing too, but I don't see one equal to unavailable Mike Miller (don't trust Josh HOward's knee)....

Deng.  Now that would excite me.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I am always skeptical about suggestions to get back our former players since it is likely that someone is just too nostalgic. Look at all the threads to get back Gomes.

Well then:
-Find a player that has constantly been rumored to be available that helps with both that isn't a former C.

I'm not emotionally attached to Al. I thought I was pretty clear in putting forth the proposition that Miami seems to have extreme strengths from 2-4 on offense and defense and could have a clear weakness defending the post. Can you think of another bread and butter elite player that is available that's not an ex-celtic? I'm open to suggestions.
Clevland was thinking the same way when they god Shaq to matchup with Howard. Then they lost to us in the playoffs and never faced the Magic.

Orlando built their team to matchup better with LA and Clev, neither of which the faced. We always had a much more difficult time defending Turkoglu than Carter.

I'm more concerned about getting the best possible team we can, and that means decent bang for the buck. We already have 4 rotation guys at PF and C. We have no one to backup up any other position.

We need a backup wing before anything else. That is by far our most glaring weakness at the moment.

Wing is also where our starters will be playing the most minutes other than Rondo.  We need another big and we need a backup wing, in whatever order they come.  At this point we have more room for a borderline all-star in our bigs rotation than we do in our wings rotation.....I'd like a nice wing too, but I don't see one equal to unavailable Mike Miller (don't trust Josh HOward's knee)....

We have 2 legit backup bigs. We have 0 legit backups in our other 3 positions.

I would take AJ in a second if there were no opportunity costs. I would take a BBD+Wallace trade for AJ, but how many 1st round picks would we have to include considering how unappealing our draft position is at the moment?

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Whhhyyyyyyy does everyone want Al back... In fact, why does everyone want old players back that led our team to 15 WINS!!!! I dont get it. Where does Al fit here? He isnt a center, he doesnt play defense, he isnt very good at running the break, he isnt a good passer out of the post and we already have KG as our main post option.

Big Al has had what, 3 (?), mediocre seasons...Playing in MINNY! Like seriously? He hasnt gotten his team anywhere near being out of the bottom, he is injury prone, and he really didnt even play that great on a bad team... Why would we want him back??

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta agree with guava. In KG, Baby, O'Neal and hopefully a healthy Perk we have way more talent down low than Miami would ever be able to counter with this year to worry about wasting Sheed's contract on Al Jefferson, nostalgia or not. I actually think Ben Wallace at the minimum would be a great addition to this team and would give us what we need, defense and rebounding down low.

With Sheed's contract we need to concentrate on landing wings. Cleveland might be open to moving Anthony Carter and Jamario Moon. They would fit in nicely here. Maybe Corey Brewer and one of the TWolves PGs(Sessions or Flynn). Maybe Dunleavy in Indiana. There are a bunch of scenarios where the C's come up with a quality player behind Ray and Paul that will allow those guys to be better players longer into the season and into their careers that just seems to be more important to this team right now than Al Jefferson coming back.

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Well then:

We have 2 legit backup bigs. We have 0 legit backups in our other 3 positions.

I would take AJ in a second if there were no opportunity costs. I would take a BBD+Wallace trade for AJ, but how many 1st round picks would we have to include considering how unappealing our draft position is at the moment?

But we will have backups at each position at some point before the season starts.  I'm not sure if the next piece will be the best or some piece we get in August will be the best of what's yet to come.  If Danny doesn't feel rushed into grabbing a backup wing, that means there's not one he likes enough to rush for, or he simply can't get him.  

Baby and Sheed for Al Jefferson.  I'd only give up one pick in that deal, hopefully next year's.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Gotta agree with guava. In KG, Baby, O'Neal and hopefully a healthy Perk we have way more talent down low than Miami would ever be able to counter with this year to worry about wasting Sheed's contract on Al Jefferson, nostalgia or not. I actually think Ben Wallace at the minimum would be a great addition to this team and would give us what we need, defense and rebounding down low.

With Sheed's contract we need to concentrate on landing wings. Cleveland might be open to moving Anthony Carter and Jamario Moon. They would fit in nicely here. Maybe Corey Brewer and one of the TWolves PGs(Sessions or Flynn). Maybe Dunleavy in Indiana. There are a bunch of scenarios where the C's come up with a quality player behind Ray and Paul that will allow those guys to be better players longer into the season and into their careers that just seems to be more important to this team right now than Al Jefferson coming back.

Well said, Nick.

There are some wings I'd be very excited to add:  Deng, Corey Brewer are a  couple.  But I'd drop down to Rasual Butler territory if we could get Al J. out of Sheed and Baby....

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 06:12:39 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Well said, Nick. I have no interest in the 24-win Alumni Association.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 06:21:49 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

I still don't see "talent down low."

KG has NEVER played the majority of his time on the block. He is so allergic to drawing contact he shot 3.2 free throws per game.

Perk? The man has one robot move, the hook shot moving left that works sometimes. Oh, i guess the "Perk Shuffle"...catch a pass, bring the ball low, stutter step (50/50 travel) one dribble, stutter step, try to force it up.

Davis? He of the 50/50 getting blocked shot?

O'neal? Post offense?

We have no post offense right now...I don't understand why people are so intent on improving our strengths (everyone wants more defense!) while ignoring weaknesses (we would have won it all last year if we had an answer for when our offense goes in the stinker). We're content to throw out a team next year in which our starting center is a MAJOR injury question mark and 3/4 of our starters will continue a slow decline? That was LUCKY that orlando dumped hedo for vince, that Stan didn't remember how to coach his offense until game three, and a one-man cleveland team in a conference that is just getting stronger? I think we need a little more than a re-tread.

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

what an absurd argument.

So you have no interest in paul pierce?
Ray Allen?
Pau Gasol?

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

what an absurd argument.

Ray Allen?
Pau Gasol?

Reading comprehension isn't your strength, is it?

No, I have no interest in inept players whose ineptitude dragged this franchise down to historic lows. Al Jefferson could not defend me. He is a one-trick pony, and I have NO interest whatsoever in ever seeing him in a Celtics uniform again.

It's a sure sign of the Silly Season on this board when posters begin pining for Al, Delonte West, the sheer stupidity of the proposal on this board to give the intensely limited Ryan Gomes four years at $16 million, etc. Can a "Bring Back Gerald Green" thread be far behind?

One would think by now that results would make it obvious: Danny acquired Garnett and Allen for next to nothing.

Apparently that day is still inexplicably somewhere off in the distance. Meanwhile, the inexplicable fondness for players who dragged this franchise down to the cellar continues to escape me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:38:49 PM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

what an absurd argument.

Ray Allen?
Pau Gasol?

Reading comprehension isn't your strength, is it?

No, I have no interest in inept players whose ineptitude dragged this franchise down to historic lows. Al Jefferson could not defend me. He is a one-trick pony, and I have NO interest whatsoever in ever seeing him in a Celtics uniform again.

It's a sure sign of the Silly Season on this board when posters begin pining for Al, Delonte West, the sheer stupidity of the proposal on this board to give the intensely limited Ryan Gomes four years at $16 million, etc. Can a "Bring Back Gerald Green" thread be far behind.

You simply said you don't want a player that was on a 24 win team, which i pointed out is simply "absurd" logic. Pierce was on a team that bad. As was Allen. As was Pau Gasol. As have many other players with valuable basketball skill.

I see a Boston team that won a title two years ago, had an injury the following season (I can't honestly say "bad luck" because with players this late in their careers, these things are not "luck" they are "odds catching up with you), then bad a valiant push in a weird and weak year in which all the contenders had serious serious flaws.

I see a boston team whose nucleus is getting older, and with each year has seen their production drop; i see a team whose achilles heal was scoring droughts which finally caught up with them at the worst possible moment.

I see a team whose "big 3" continue to move further and further from the basket, relying more and more on increasingly UN-reliable methods of scoring, with no one to really fill the void of working man's points, bread and butter, high percentage, dependable post scoring. The closest we still have is the KG "don't foul me" baseline fadeway, the Perk Shuffle, or the Davis "Maybe this one won't get blocked."

I'm somewhat amazed that, in a year in which the Eastern Conference got much more talented, people seem to think that an older version of said flawed team can't be improved upon significantly.

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 06:56:32 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The best player to hurt them is about to retire.

Rasheed KILLED Bosh and Toronto last year.

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 07:03:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see a team whose "big 3" continue to move further and further from the basket, relying more and more on increasingly UN-reliable methods of scoring, with no one to really fill the void of working man's points, bread and butter, high percentage, dependable post scoring. The closest we still have is the KG "don't foul me" baseline fadeway, the Perk Shuffle, or the Davis "Maybe this one won't get blocked."

I'm somewhat amazed that, in a year in which the Eastern Conference got much more talented, people seem to think that an older version of said flawed team can't be improved upon significantly.
Unreliable methods of scoring? Are you kidding me? Garnett shot 52% last year. He's only a 49% shooter for his career. Pierce shot 47% from the field and 41% from three? Those are the best marks in his entire career. Ray shot just about at his career averages.

Outside shooting is only less reliable than inside scoring if you miss a lot, these guys don't!

An as for your doubts on our inside game and your need to get Jefferson to take advantage of Miami in a match up, exactly who is Miami going to get that is going to stop O'Neal, Davis, Perk and Garnett even if they have flaws? This Boston team never evolved around a ton of inside scoring from their big men. But they do score a ton inside and that is what is important.

Jefferson is a horrible defender. Just awful. That goes against everything this team stands for and has made them successful. Has seeing Mikki Moore and Patrick O'Bryant and watched as great team defense elsewhere went for naught because one big guy couldn't stop anyone from scoring not taught you anything?

Jefferson scores 18 PPG but he gives up 22 PPG. That's a net loss and even though Baby might have his shot blocked a bunch and KG is more of an outside presence and Perk's offense is rudimentary, their offenses are net gains because of the tremendous team defense they play and their versatility on that end of the floor.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 07:09:05 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Whhhyyyyyyy does everyone want Al back... In fact, why does everyone want old players back that led our team to 15 WINS!!!! I dont get it. Where does Al fit here? He isnt a center, he doesnt play defense, he isnt very good at running the break, he isnt a good passer out of the post and we already have KG as our main post option.

Big Al has had what, 3 (?), mediocre seasons...Playing in MINNY! Like seriously? He hasnt gotten his team anywhere near being out of the bottom, he is injury prone, and he really didnt even play that great on a bad team... Why would we want him back??

I've always wanted AL here, and have even wondered if 1 title outweighs my still present desire to see Big Al make like a tree and grow.

That said, I'd KILL to see KG mentor some focus and aggressiveness into Al on both ends of the court.

How about Baby, Sheed, AND Jermaine Oneal (excuse me, never liked him since he first started sucking way back when in Indy) for Al?  Minny gets salary relief, A once All-Star center and a young fire hydrant. 

Dreaming, but would love Al back.  He could wear number 88.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I've always wanted AL here, and have even wondered if 1 title outweighs my still present desire to see Big Al make like a tree and grow.

That said, I'd KILL to see KG mentor some focus and aggressiveness into Al on both ends of the court.

How about Baby, Sheed, AND Jermaine Oneal (excuse me, never liked him since he first started sucking way back when in Indy) for Al?  Minny gets salary relief, A once All-Star center and a young fire hydrant. 

Dreaming, but would love Al back.  He could wear number 88.

I'd be all for getting Big Al back. BUT, why trade Jermaine when we just signed him? Doesn't make any sense and I am very happy to have JO on board.