Author Topic: Push for Big Al  (Read 9408 times)

Push for Big Al
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Now that the Wade-Lebron-Bosh thing is complete, and it looks like Chalmers will stay and Mike Miller will join them, it is important to think about beating them on the way to the finals.

Their Strengths are clearly Scoring at the 2-4, and very good wing passing, as well as outstanding wing defense. Suffice to say I am extremely skeptical the Celtics will be able to beat them if they rely on the Rondo-Pierce-KG-Ray formula for their offense. Wade can play the Kobe-on-Rondo strategy better than Kobe can, and just dare him to shoot and play passing lanes. LJ is getting better and Pierce worse, so that will be more in their favor this year too. Chalmers can probably pull a JJ Redick on Allen and just follow him around disrupting his rhythm; and KG going less and less to the hoop (never his favorite thing anyway) plays right INTO Bosh's defensive strength (length and agility) and OUT OF his weakness (strength, toughness).

Where is Miami weakest? Post offense and Post defense. Not much can be done to exploit their post offense weakness, but just do what we usually do: disallow drives and force bad outside shots. But as currently constructed, we have no way to exploit their biggest weakness of post defense.

Amazingly enough, there's a guy on the market even before Minny traded for a younger duplicate at his position, a guy who is an 18-20 ppg scorer from the low block. Mr. Al Jefferson.

Rasheed Wallace, Glen Davis, Oliver Lafayette and Tony Gaffney for Big Al works salary wise; Minny would save 2 million right away, plus 6.3 when sheed retires. They also would not have to pay the 29 million owed Jefferson in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. Thus Minny would allow room for Beasly to play and pickup a cheap guy in baby that can back up the 4/5 behind beasly and love AND would have the space to go after another FA this year to fill a need as they see fit.

For Boston, it would give another big body, but one that can and wants to work from the post, exploiting Miami's future vet-minimum center and/or going right at Bosh and getting him in foul trouble. Boston is definitely good enough defensively to cover his back.

Thoughts?

Re: Push for Big Al
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »

Offline Rashi

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
If we are going to give up Baby with the Sheed contract then my pipe dream would be to get Al and try to steal Beas from Minny.

But I just don't see Minny giving up Al.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Chalmers can probably pull a JJ Redick on Allen and just follow him around disrupting his rhythm
Chalmers did a very poor job defending Ray in the playoffs last season. I think that is a matchup advantage for Boston. Both against Chalmers and against Mike Miller who doesn't maneuver around screens well.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I don't expect Minnesota to trade away Al Jefferson in a straight cap dump.

They need some incentive to part with Big Al ... otherwise, they'd have made a deal for an expiring contract or to a team below the cap already.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Where does Al fit?  He isn't going to start over KG or ONeil or a healthy perk. 
I'd rather go after a sf, a posistion we need help at

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I am always skeptical about suggestions to get back our former players since it is likely that someone is just too nostalgic. Look at all the threads to get back Gomes.

I'd rather get someone who can play defense.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I'd feel pretty good having Big Al coming off the bench, despite being generally in favor of defense....Al is a guy who scores enough to make up for that deficit, especially off the bench, and is a legit big.  I'd still hope to get Kwame Brown too.  (I'm in the not counting on Perk much bring him back real slowly camp).  I don't think Al needs to start.  I think he'd be awesome off the bench.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Where does Al fit?  He isn't going to start over KG or ONeil or a healthy perk. 
I'd rather go after a sf, a posistion we need help at

I'm moer interested in pursuing a SF as well. However, I'd take Al Jefferson in a heartbeat in this scenario. While Perk recovers, you can easily split minutes as:

KG 30
JO 24
AJ 32
unknown minimum dude: 10

and when Perks returns:

KG 28
KP 22
AJ 28
JO 18

A quartet of bigs that talented would be worth relying on TA and a minimum dude at the backup SF.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 04:45:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I am always skeptical about suggestions to get back our former players since it is likely that someone is just too nostalgic. Look at all the threads to get back Gomes.

Co-sign. I'll pass on Al Jefferson.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They are weak in the post.  I think one good post scorer could own that team.  No role players.  Let them have Miller another shooter who needs the ball, ****.  They may be planning the team but LeBron's teams he picked the guys in CLE didn't do so hot.  He signed off on all the CLE moves.  With that moran calling the shots and you 'd have to think Riles is giving hims some leeway especially until he inks the contract then we are golden. I bet Shaq goes there too and he will really fit another need the ball guy. 

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't expect Minnesota to trade away Al Jefferson in a straight cap dump.

They need some incentive to part with Big Al ... otherwise, they'd have made a deal for an expiring contract or to a team below the cap already.

I keep hearing that they think they need a true center, and they don't think Al and Love can play together. Plus they don't want to go near the luxury tax.

That being said, I don't think they will take what we have to offer, at least not until they see Perk back and healthy. That mean waiting until the deadline, and us probably losing Perk, Baby and something/someone else.

I'm not quite sure Jefferson is worth losing a healthy Perk and Baby.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Well then:
-Point out another more glaring weakness on the Heat
-Point out another more glaring weakness for the C's
-Find a player that has constantly been rumored to be available that helps with both that isn't a former C.

I'm not emotionally attached to Al. I thought I was pretty clear in putting forth the proposition that Miami seems to have extreme strengths from 2-4 on offense and defense and could have a clear weakness defending the post. Can you think of another bread and butter elite player that is available that's not an ex-celtic? I'm open to suggestions.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Get us Big Al for Sheeds contract Danny.  You pulled off a miracle in '07 Danny.  You can do it again!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 05:20:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Would take more than Sheed's contract. Would probably take Perkins to get Al, although I would consider that trade. I think Al would work great with Rondo.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Well then:
-Point out another more glaring weakness on the Heat
-Point out another more glaring weakness for the C's
-Find a player that has constantly been rumored to be available that helps with both that isn't a former C.

I'm not emotionally attached to Al. I thought I was pretty clear in putting forth the proposition that Miami seems to have extreme strengths from 2-4 on offense and defense and could have a clear weakness defending the post. Can you think of another bread and butter elite player that is available that's not an ex-celtic? I'm open to suggestions.
Clevland was thinking the same way when they god Shaq to matchup with Howard. Then they lost to us in the playoffs and never faced the Magic.

Orlando built their team to matchup better with LA and Clev, neither of which the faced. We always had a much more difficult time defending Turkoglu than Carter.

I'm more concerned about getting the best possible team we can, and that means decent bang for the buck. We already have 4 rotation guys at PF and C. We have no one to backup up any other position.

We need a backup wing before anything else. That is by far our most glaring weakness at the moment.