Author Topic: Al Horford will have longevity for the Celtics  (Read 1352 times)

Al Horford will have longevity for the Celtics
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I have heard many people on here and in the media talk about how Horford is too old and does not merit getting a max 4 year deal, but I believe he is worth every penny. As you know Danny is a miser when it comes to handing out contracts (something Bradley & Crowder know too well) but with big Al he has done well.

Although Horford is 30 when we signed him, he just turned 30 on the 3rd of June so will not be 31 till next season and he is a young man's 30 in comparison to our previous max forward Kevin Garnett who was 29 when we traded for him in 2007 and if we look at games played for both players when signed by Boston, we find KG had played 974 games (including playoffs) where as AH has only played 652 games, a staggering difference for players essentially the same age. Horford has only had 2 torn pectorals during his career in ways of major injuries, something that won't hinder his longevity of a career nor his movement. His game is in essence an old man's game similar to Duncan or Gasol (obviously not as good) so he does not rely on athleticism to make plays. He also is a fantastic jack of all trades guy without an ego who compliments our team perfectly and paired eventually with a superstar will be the perfect number 2 guy who will lead our team to bigger and better things.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:50:56 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Al Horford will have longevity for the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
My only real concern with horfords supposed decline is the decrease in rebounding numbers. I guess even using advanced stats he has shown a regression (using other posters data not mine) year over year. I have seem some speculate that it is partly due to budenholzers system, but who knows. Get a young rebounding stud next to him and we could be good to go.

As you said the other aspects of his game are old man so I don't see them leaving him. Even his jumpshot is very based on the ground so a lack of lift shouldjt destroy his game. My only worry is his interior defense as he ages. He isn't huge by any means, so alot of his contesting shots and rim protection comes from good jumping ability.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I had HUGE injury concerns, but after studying his situation further, I no longer have them. After his 2014 injury, he changed his weight lifting routine, which in part caused his pectoral problems (seems he went too hard).

In 2 seasons since then he's only missed ONE game, and that one game was due to an upset stomach. So he hasn't missed a game in 2 years due to injury, only because of rest and sickness.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:54:27 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a gradual decline after the second year could happen but I doubt he falls off so much as to not be a quality starting big man in this league. Worth $30 million those last two years? We will see but I don't think he gets to 32 years old and his game falls off a,cliff like some pozters have postulated about.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:55:20 AM »

• Bill Walton
My only real concern with horfords supposed decline is the decrease in rebounding numbers. I guess even using advanced stats he has shown a regression (using other posters data not mine) year over year. I have seem some speculate that it is partly due to budenholzers system, but who knows. Get a young rebounding stud next to him and we could be good to go.

As you said the other aspects of his game are old man so I don't see them leaving him. Even his jumpshot is very based on the ground so a lack of lift shouldjt destroy his game. My only worry is his interior defense as he ages. He isn't huge by any means, so alot of his contesting shots and rim protection comes from good jumping ability.

You are right on his height, according to his draft measurements he is only 6'8.75 w/o shoes but his wingspan is a solid 7'0 with a standing reach of 6'11 which is ample, especially with the game going smaller and as he ages i'd say they will pair him with an athletic forward/centre to combat any flaws just as Spurs have with Duncan.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Just a quick note since I am about to head to school now, on Horford rebounding, the drop is attributed to a change in how Atlanta plays lately. They shifted his role and moved him more to the outside, and he increased his 3 point shooting as part of the move there.

So the rebounding may not be a concern over a decline by Horford.   I hope  ;D

P. S. A tp to sbbf for a good analysis above. Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 09:05:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
His game gives you hope that he will age well. He relies on basketball intelligence, positioning and shooting to make an impact, none of those things should get worse as he ages.

I think he will bring longevity to the Celtics as a franchise. By that I mean, he is going to help mentor  whatever young draft picks we select in the future. Horford is a great locker room guy so even if his skills decline he will be important to the overall improvement of the team.

As to him making too much money, I think that's ridiculous. It seems like free agents are paid a premium to switch teams. Not having to give up assets makes a higher price tag more reasonable for a free agent.

Personally I'm willing to give up some extra ccap space so the team can add a great player rather than have to give up a ton of assets for a player just as good on a more reasonable contract .
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:07:01 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Over the past 4 seasons, he has had declines in FG%, Reb, and Pts.  Not a dramatic drop, but a  trend down.  I don't expect him to fall off a cliff or anything like that.  He should be a productive veteran player for at least 4 more seasons.  We'll see.

I like the signing.  He is both a good player who will help us today (at a position of need) but also an asset we were able to add without giving up anything.  We are both a better team and also have more assets to use to trade or attract FAs because of the signing.  But he is a veteran who is declining (KG was declining too).  You can quibble about how much he is declining or how good he will be in 3 years or 4 years but I don't think it can be disputed that he is going to decline.

The problem is that his window and the rest of the team's window aren't really aligned like KG's window was aligned with Pierce's and Allen's.  This lack of alignment is not something that would have stopped me from signing him, it is just part of the deal with Horford.  It is the downside to the signing.  This lack of alignment may lead to him being traded at some point, maybe not.  If he is traded, I am sure it will be for some good but perhaps younger players/assets.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »

• Bill Walton

Just a quick note since I am about to head to school now, on Horford rebounding, the drop is attributed to a change in how Atlanta plays lately. They shifted his role and moved him more to the outside, and he increased his 3 point shooting as part of the move there.

So the rebounding may not be a concern over a decline by Horford.   I hope  ;D

P. S. A tp to sbbf for a good analysis above. Thanks.

Thank you, much appreciated (TP 4 TP)