Author Topic: Is Isaiah Thomas ever going to play in NBA again?  (Read 13986 times)

Is Isaiah Thomas ever going to play in NBA again?
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Season is now halfway over and he has not even started regular practices. If he doesn't get some burn this year it is hard to imagine him getting another contract in the offseason. Really feel bad for the guy. On the plus side it seems like he has been a strong leader in the lockerroom for Denver.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/02/isaiah-thomas-anticipates-nuggets-return/

Re: Is Isaiah Thomas ever going to play in NBA again?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Season is now halfway over and he has not even started regular practices. If he doesn't get some burn this year it is hard to imagine him getting another contract in the offseason. Really feel bad for the guy. On the plus side it seems like he has been a strong leader in the lockerroom for Denver.

Whether he plays this year or not someone will sign him to short money or a non-guaranteed contract.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Whether he plays this year or not someone will sign him to short money or a non-guaranteed contract.

I am not so sure about that. At that point he will have not played in a year and a half and basically only had one minimum offer this past offseason? Would he really get the same levels of offers after another year of not playing?

There is also of course the question whether he can physically play.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I am not so sure about that. At that point he will have not played in a year and a half and basically only had one minimum offer this past offseason? Would he really get the same levels of offers after another year of not playing?

True, but if he can play, someone will take a flyer on him.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

But if he doesn't play how will we know he can play?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

But if he doesn't play how will we know he can play?

If he can physically play a team could have him in for work outs and maybe play him in the preseason.... If he doesn't ever play again I would think that would mean he's not physically able. He could always get a contract somewhere, including China or Europe, if he's physically able...

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I was wondering if we will see him play again too. I'm just happy that Danny traded him when he did. I do like the guy, and I hope we get to see him play again in the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 05:17:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
The guy made a lot of money - just not "Brinks Truck" money.  I feel bad about the loss of his sister... and to what degree I am aware, I feel bad about his physical well-being.  The loss of his pro career (if it comes to be) is (I assume) a bummer for him, but hopefully he's got his head on straight and he'll deal with it fine. His net worth (estimated at about 12M) will help. It isn't 100M, but should be plenty.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Reading the article, I'm not seeing anything that would suggest that he won't be coming back.   All it basically says with regard to his recovery is that he's due back soon.   Otherwise, the article is mainly about his role as a mentor/leader in the Nuggets clubhouse.

I've followed other news bits about IT over last summer and this fall and I don't recall anything that suggests any sort of setback.

Not sure what the genesis of the thread's question is.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:24:34 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm hoping that he makes it back to the Garden and plays in the Nuggets game so I can participate in the Standing O that he so richly deserves.

Mike

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I hope he can get back to some sort of form. Not only for himself, but it would be a good weapon for Denver, who I’ve got a soft spot for.

Seeing him drop 20 off the bench in CP3’s smug face would be beautiful
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 05:27:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hope so. Little guy doesn't deserve the horrible injury luck that has befallen him. And he is a joy to watch when he decides he needs to be King of the Fourth.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i hope he comes back. but if not, he has made over $31,000,000 in his career so far. enough to retire on and live nicely. good for him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Reading the article, I'm not seeing anything that would suggest that he won't be coming back.   All it basically says with regard to his recovery is that he's due back soon.   Otherwise, the article is mainly about his role as a mentor/leader in the Nuggets clubhouse.

I've followed other news bits about IT over last summer and this fall and I don't recall anything that suggests any sort of setback.

The article was a separate piece on how he is helping their young players. The update i saw was that his timeline from returning to play was very murky and he was not even practicing still (after originally targeting a december return). It is the kind of vague update you see when someone is not even close to returning, and like i said, the season is now already half over and even demarcus cousins is about to return (january 18th)

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Denver was smart enough to not give a specific timeline for his return. But it's worth noting that standard recovery time for a hip arthroscopy and labral repair is typically 4-6 months. He had his procedure in March.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:00:22 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman