Author Topic: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019  (Read 12894 times)

Re: Kentucky G Tyler Herro to work out for Boston
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:53 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
That is a beautiful stroke this kid has. We could really use a shooter like this.

I used to think RJ Hunter had one of the nicest strokes going around. Was super amped when we snagged him...  ::)

thats what I was thinking... RJ Hunter. and why would the new kid be an upgrade?
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Yessss!! Really like Herro..needs to improve his body but kid can shoot it..been watching him all year at UK..but all these picks going to New Orleans so it doesnt matter
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
What good is it to draft players when your coach never plays them🙄

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Reminds me of Reddick. In a good way.

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I hope he plays for us and is a great player. If we pick him, I hope Stevens gives him more than 1M 50 sec per game.

But most of all, I wish the people who assemble highlight YouTubes of college draft prospects would refrain from making me watch 7 minutes of three point shots. I didn't see Herro dribble or pass once...not once. Literally, 16 catch and shoots. And when the prospect is a center? 16 dunks.

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Some people should really watch college ball before commenting on some highlight videos or someone else's scouting reports, while cherry picking some flaws. This isn't a good draft but some have enough strengths to make a living and contribute to the team. Herro can ball is all I have to say. It may take a couple of years to work on what he does well and work it into his game. He's going to be a lights out shooter and he can move a bit as well. I would take him with one of the late first rounders, depending on what happens earlier in the draft.

Edit: Can we also not start a thread after every time a prospect works out for the C's? I believe there's a similar thread (draft combine/interview thread) for this type of discussion? Or at least start one for all prospects that the C's work out?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:17:11 PM by GreenShooter »

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 12:15:15 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
So I guess his ceiling is JJ Redick. I guess I wouldn’t mind the pick if he is there at 22.

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I wouldn't mind having a 3 point shooter on the roster.

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:21 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Weaknesses: Lacks length. Doesn’t have the ideal NBA body, measuring 6’5” with 6’4.5” wingspan and had 12.4% body fat at UK’s pro day ... Struggles with his footwork when receiving the ball off of screens, often does not have them squared up and thus preventing him from getting quickly into a shooting motion ... Absolutely not a ball handler ... Can be a streaky shooter that goes cold for stretches of the game ... Not very explosive off the dribble lacking a great first step ... Lacks ideal lateral quickness, leading to him struggling with smaller, quicker players when playing defense ... When not scoring, he can have games in which he gives you little else ... Not a great passer, and he can get tunnel vision when driving to the rim ... Sometimes struggles making entry passes to the post, resulting in turnovers ... Has a loose handle and is susceptible to getting stripped when driving to the rim ... Limited athleticism could be a hindrance at the next level, and will have to rely more on angles to set himself up at the NBA level ...

This is all very true but if he developed into an elite shooter (he's not that now, except from the free throw line) he would be a good pick in the 20s.

I would prefer Romeo Langford at 14 for a sg.  I would go big at 20 with Charles Bassey.  I would take a shot at bol bol if he was there at 22, but 7'2 208 lbs is too skinny. Although the greek freak grew 2 inches and added 51 lbs of muscle after he was drafted so there could be hope for bol bol. More likely I take Ty Jerome at 22.  I was a big fan of Jalen Brunson last year and had hoped we wold buy a second rounder to get him for Smart/Rozier insurance.  I think Ty Jerome can be just as solid as Brunson was this year.  Maybe draft the big taco at 51.

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2019, 01:08:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Some people should really watch college ball before commenting on some highlight videos or someone else's scouting reports, while cherry picking some flaws. This isn't a good draft but some have enough strengths to make a living and contribute to the team. Herro can ball is all I have to say. It may take a couple of years to work on what he does well and work it into his game. He's going to be a lights out shooter and he can move a bit as well. I would take him with one of the late first rounders, depending on what happens earlier in the draft.

Edit: Can we also not start a thread after every time a prospect works out for the C's? I believe there's a similar thread (draft combine/interview thread) for this type of discussion? Or at least start one for all prospects that the C's work out?
I'm not questioning his ability to play ball, it's just that his playstyle and physical attributes don't really fit what we should be doing to upgrade our roster (get mobile and skilled size in the frontcourt while not downsizing our backcourt of a medium sized PG plus Brown).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 06:40:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Reminds me of Reddick. In a good way.

Reddick had a better body of work to judge in college.

Re: Celtics Draft Workouts Thread 2019
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2019, 04:56:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Really nice work here being done by Max Carlin

https://twitter.com/maxacarlin/status/1129478507980042240

Looking over that list these are the players who jump out at me as potential 1st round options

Cam Johnson, solid over all lower upside wing prospect. Should be able to contribute right away

Shamorie Ponds, I really like him as a 2nd unit point guard who can both create offense for himself and others. Could fit in right away coming off celtics bench.

Brandon Clarke, in the era of position-less basketball he is the rare problematic tweener. He had almost identical size measurements to Rodney Hood, with top 1% of the league athletic numbers, but the skill set of a center. At almost 23 years old and in need of major development he may be the most divisive NBA prospect in this class. The celtics are one of a handful of teams who I would trust to develop and unlock Clarke's potential.

Tyler Hero, great shooting prospect but I worry about his athletic ability and lack of length

Carsen Edwards
, he small but long PG with a strong frame who was one of the elite scorers in college. Seems destine to be a offensive spark off a teams bench. Could slide right into a bench role with the celtics.

Dylan Windler, one of my favorite late first/early 2nd round guys. He is a lights out shooter who (despite my hate for white guy to white guy comps) posted almost identical measurements to Kyle Korver. At almost 6'8 with a 6'10 wingspan he has nice size on the wing though he will have to add some size to his 195lbs frame. He could contribute as soon as this season as an off the bench floor spacer. 

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yes but can play D

Not RJ Hunter

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Yes but can play D

Not RJ Hunter
Hunter was a 3 point shooter?

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I'm not questioning his ability to play ball, it's just that his playstyle and physical attributes don't really fit what we should be doing to upgrade our roster (get mobile and skilled size in the frontcourt while not downsizing our backcourt of a medium sized PG plus Brown).
Picking in the early 20's we should hope to just draft someone who can play. Having a particular strength goes a long way. He could turn out to be James Young for all I know. But he has some size where he can get his shot off coming off the bench. Not looking for him to be Redick.