Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 121197 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #825 on: July 13, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The best thing for Smart is to take the QO , bet on himself., and go into UFA next season.. He's one dimensional so improving his jumpshot could eventually lead him to a max contract somewhere ... not to mention if the C's take down the championship it will only enhance his value..

That's the worst thing he could do.

I know this year was a market correction year for 2016, but next summer will be a market correction year for 2018. All of these FAs who signed 1 year deals will be FA again.

Simple economics of supply and demand. When there is a large amount of supply, it drives the cost down. Next year figures to have about 50% more FAs than normal. When you also allow the increasing number of players who are signed from Europe, the market for Smart could be small.

Smart is losing bargaining power. It sucks, but its true.

Don't get me wrong, Smart is an NBA player, but betting on himself at this moment is not smart. There are forces at work that he simply can't control.

« Reply #826 on: July 13, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The best thing for Smart is to take the QO , bet on himself., and go into UFA next season.. He's one dimensional so improving his jumpshot could eventually lead him to a max contract somewhere ... not to mention if the C's take down the championship it will only enhance his value..

That's the worst thing he could do.

I know this year was a market correction year for 2016, but next summer will be a market correction year for 2018. All of these FAs who signed 1 year deals will be FA again.

Simple economics of supply and demand. When there is a large amount of supply, it drives the cost down. Next year figures to have about 50% more FAs than normal. When you also allow the increasing number of players who are signed from Europe, the market for Smart could be small.

Smart is losing bargaining power. It sucks, but its true.

Don't get me wrong, Smart is an NBA player, but betting on himself at this moment is not smart. There are forces at work that he simply can't control.

Depends on the finances they're discussing. If Boston's offering something in the neighborhood of $11, maybe $10 million annually then there's a good case to be made that Smart should just lock the money in. If Ainge is trying to get him to sign something that starts at like $7-7.5 million and goes for several years then it's much less difficult to make that money up going into next summer as a UFA. Ainge has earned the leeway to just be trusted to do his job, but it's possible for Boston to overplay their hand here too.

« Reply #827 on: July 13, 2018, 03:42:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Nets now have less than $3M of cap room, after which they’ll sign Joe Harris (replacing his $1.5M with an $8M starting salary) and Ed Davis ($4.4M R-MLE).

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/1017740784827863041

Hawks effectively reduce their max potential cap room from $24.2M to $10.4M in exchange for Jeremy Lin, a 2025 second-round pick from the Nets, and a second-round pick swap right with the Nets in 2023.

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/1017740854520369152

Almost all of the potential suitors out of the picture for now.  :D

« Reply #828 on: July 13, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Nets now have less than $3M of cap room, after which they’ll sign Joe Harris (replacing his $1.5M with an $8M starting salary) and Ed Davis ($4.4M R-MLE).

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/1017740784827863041

Hawks effectively reduce their max potential cap room from $24.2M to $10.4M in exchange for Jeremy Lin, a 2025 second-round pick from the Nets, and a second-round pick swap right with the Nets in 2023.

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/1017740854520369152

Almost all of the potential suitors out of the picture for now.  :D
Does that mean Sacto is the only remaining team with space?

« Reply #829 on: July 13, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Bulls still have cap room I think and other teams may have trade exemptions to allow them to go over the cap.  But the list is narrowing.

Smart would actually be good for Sacramento I would think.

« Reply #830 on: July 13, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
How does this trade sound (suggested by a friend of mine after dinner last night):

BOS sends Morris (5.375M) to HOU
HOU sends Nene (3.651M, 3.825M) to BOS
Low-level draft picks get sprinkled appropriately on the deal to make it work.

Why HOU does it:  To get rid of Nene and to replace some of what Ariza and a Moute' took out the door.  I.E., HOU needs a 'big wing'.

Why BOS does it:  BOS then stretches/waives Nene' out, reducing his cost to 2.49, saving just over 3M net over Morris' contract.   This Allows them to pay Smart at a starting salary of as much as 11M without going over.   If they waive Nader before the end of this month, they can clear another ~900K.  Though they may want to use that for Bird.

Morris will likely see his minutes squeezed given the return of Howard and the continued development of Jaylen, Jayson, Theis, Yabusele and Semi.   So Houston would be a good fit for him since they have a need at his position.

Seems fairly straightforward.  Am I missing some obstacle?

Of course, Danny would only do this if he has to match an offer for Smart below the numbers I indicated.  If Smart comes back and signs the QO, then this wouldn't happen.  And if Smart comes back with a large offer sheet from say, SAC, for 14M, then this probably wouldn't happen either.

So Danny will wait before pulling the trigger.

Given that Boston's going to eventually wind up in repeater tax territory, it seems unwise to be paying for Nene over the next five years. That $7.5ish million is going to wind up awfully expensive over time. Plus, I'm pretty partial to Morris and keeping his Bird Rights heading into another crowded FA market in 2019 isn't a bad thing for an over-the-cap team.

I was using a 3-year stretch value to get it off the books before the repeater penalties kick in.

Ultimately, your objection comes down to whether you favor keeping Morris over keeping Smart, which is fair.  I don't have strong opinion either way.   Both seem likely to have reduced roles this coming year, barring injury.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:29:38 PM by mmmmm »
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #831 on: July 13, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The Bulls still have cap room I think and other teams may have trade exemptions to allow them to go over the cap.  But the list is narrowing.

Smart would actually be good for Sacramento I would think.

Certainly wouldn't help our draft pick sending them a winner while we are losing a winner.

« Reply #832 on: July 13, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
How does this trade sound (suggested by a friend of mine after dinner last night):

Why HOU does it:  To get rid of Nene and to replace some of what Ariza and a Moute' took out the door.  I.E., HOU needs a 'big wing'.

Why BOS does it:  BOS then stretches/waives Nene' out, reducing his cost to 2.49, saving just over 3M net over Morris' contract.   This Allows them to pay Smart at a starting salary of as much as 11M without going over.   If they waive Nader before the end of this month, they can clear another ~900K.  Though they may want to use that for Bird.

Morris will likely see his minutes squeezed given the return of Howard and the continued development of Jaylen, Jayson, Theis, Yabusele and Semi.   So Houston would be a good fit for him since they have a need at his position.

Of course, Danny would only do this if he has to match an offer for Smart below the numbers I indicated.  If Smart comes back and signs the QO, then this wouldn't happen.  And if Smart comes back with a large offer sheet from say, SAC, for 14M, then this probably wouldn't happen either.

Given that Boston's going to eventually wind up in repeater tax territory, it seems unwise to be paying for Nene over the next five years. That $7.5ish million is going to wind up awfully expensive over time. Plus, I'm pretty partial to Morris and keeping his Bird Rights heading into another crowded FA market in 2019 isn't a bad thing for an over-the-cap team.

I was using a 3-year stretch value to get it off the books before the repeater penalties kick in.

Ultimately, your objection comes down to whether you favor keeping Morris over keeping Smart, which is fair.  I don't have strong opinion either way.   Both seem likely to have reduced roles this coming year, barring injury.

Well, ultimately your objection

I could be wrong, but I’d have to say I’d rather keep Smart than Morris, especially because it’d be for several years vs one for Morris.

If everyone is healthy we need Smart more, and if everyone isn’t healthy, IE Hayward or Tatum, I don’t think Morris is going to step up and help us win it all against GS. I’d take Smart.

Especially if we can get a pick for Morris, ideally in the potential upcoming “double draft” that might mix 2 different high school classes, then I’d be even more in favor of a move.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #833 on: July 13, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Nene's got two seasons left on his contract, so if you waive-and-stretch his contract the cap hit is spread out over the next five seasons, bringing you into repeater territory.

« Reply #834 on: July 13, 2018, 06:42:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I for one would rather have Morris than Nene.

Also the teams they are talking about signing and trading just do not have appealing pieces in return.   MEM is not going to give us Jackson, but I would do that in a heartbeat.

« Reply #835 on: July 13, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I could be wrong, but I’d have to say I’d rather keep Smart than Morris, especially because it’d be for several years vs one for Morris.

If everyone is healthy we need Smart more, and if everyone isn’t healthy, IE Hayward or Tatum, I don’t think Morris is going to step up and help us win it all against GS. I’d take Smart.

Especially if we can get a pick for Morris, ideally in the potential upcoming “double draft” that might mix 2 different high school classes, then I’d be even more in favor of a move.
Silver let the owners know that upcoming draft isn't happening until 2022 or later. I don't see any team trading a 2022 or later 1st round picks for a couple years at least.

As Adam Silver made waves by announcing at Tuesday's board of governors meetings in Las Vegas that the NBA is ready to make changes to its age limit, teams have been told privately by league officials not to expect that to actually happen prior to the 2022 NBA draft.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24087675/nba-summer-league-rookies-buzz-news-rumors-more

« Reply #836 on: July 13, 2018, 11:43:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Nene's got two seasons left on his contract, so if you waive-and-stretch his contract the cap hit is spread out over the next five seasons, bringing you into repeater territory.

Well, I was thinking of a post-Sept 1 stretch, which would be a 3-year stretch.

From Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:
If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year3.

But my math is wrong because the current year would still be at the full 3.65M and only the final year would be stretched over the 3 years.  Thus instead of over 3M of additional room under the tax being cleared up, only 1.8M would be cleared up.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #837 on: July 14, 2018, 01:36:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year3.

But my math is wrong because the current year would still be at the full 3.65M and only the final year would be stretched over the 3 years.  Thus instead of over 3M of additional room under the tax being cleared up, only 1.8M would be cleared up.
So, what you are is that all these moves by Brooklyn, probably weren't to get Smart but to amass future draft assets....as I said pages ago?  Because a lot of parts have moved around and the Nets are really no closer to being able to give Smart a big offer as they were a week or two ago.

Simply, the Nets made the trade they did to collect draft picks. Thats really it. No Smart involved.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:49:04 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #838 on: July 14, 2018, 10:41:38 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
this situation is pretty simple here. Smart wants 17million$ or so a year, celtics say you are worth 10-12million$ go out and see if you are worth 17million$

Smart goes out there and he realizes the celtics assessment of his worth in the market is more accurate than his own. but feels insulted because they should "overpay!" for what he has given them so wont listen to their contacts of "our offer is still valid" and is holding out hope that some team will come along and offer him what he wants.

But the realistic situation is that no team in their right mind who doesnt feel they are 1-2 pieces away is going to sign smart that kind of $$ to be a major starter on their team. He cant shoot...unless you have him on the floor with other good starters you are going to lose alot of games as smart jacks up 10 horrible 3 pointers and shoots 30% for all he gives you on the other end.

« Reply #839 on: July 14, 2018, 11:10:26 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

So, what you are is that all these moves by Brooklyn, probably weren't to get Smart but to amass future draft assets....as I said pages ago?  Because a lot of parts have moved around and the Nets are really no closer to being able to give Smart a big offer as they were a week or two ago.

Simply, the Nets made the trade they did to collect draft picks. Thats really it. No Smart involved.

Umm... none of my proposal here (which looks less appealing now) had anything to do with the Nets.