Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120147 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged topics]
« Reply #780 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:49 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I honestly think smart wasn’t signed because DA wanted to trade him for Kawhi

« Reply #781 on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sure feels like Danny is making a statement on smart’s BS off the court

I mean Boston doesn’t have to do anything until someone gives him an offer.

« Reply #782 on: July 12, 2018, 11:41:33 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Smart and his agent are probably scrambling to get anything close to the 4 year/$48 mil the C's offered him last year. The reality is for him not to have signed yet, it means he's still holding out hope that someone will offer more than that. At this point, it doesn't sound like anyone has even come close to that.

The C's are sitting pretty imo. They are not going to get against themselves. They may offer Smart that deal again. They may have pulled that deal after this last season. Smart may just sign the QO. I think the C's win in both of those situations.

Disagree that if he is forced to sign QO we don't win. It's a lose-lose.
It really isn't. Cs win big time on that. It's not their fault Smart and his agent misread the market. That's on them. Cs have them an offer last year that no team has come close to offering yet and they turned it down. It's basically the Noel situation all over again.

Cs are letting the market dictate what Smart is really worth. That being said, I do think they will work out a deal.

Exactly the Noel situation all over again. So how did Noel work out on the QO for Noel last year? How did it help out Dallas? Where is Noel now?

Exactly. I do NOT want an unhappy, non-productive Smart this year followed by him leaving as an UFA next year. I want the Marcus Smart we have know up until now for this year and years to come.

« Reply #783 on: July 12, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1017239080143282176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1017417298251010048&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

A source close to Marcus Smart says Smart has been “unresponsive” in #Celtics’ efforts to reach out because he is “insulted by what he feels is a lack of respect by front office.”

I mean, it seems like Smart's ego is a bit damaged from all of this, which is the main force driving all of these reports. It's not the C's fault that he overestimated his value on the market this summer. Yeah, Smart has given a lot to the team and gives it his all every time he steps on the court, but the C's still have to do what is best for them as a team/organization. They're not going to simply offer everything Smart wants given the tax ramifications and the fact that no other team is forcing their hand.

Perhaps Smart should've just accepted the 12/48 extension back in October rather than listen to his dumbarse agent giving him false hope. Bad thing is that after all of this it's hard to see Smart sticking with us next summer if he plays this year on the QO.

I wish a team like Sacramento or Brooklyn would sign him to the 12/48 type of contract so we can be forced to match and get this all over with.

« Reply #784 on: July 12, 2018, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Danny seems to be following the Belicheck MO when players ask for more than their market worth. See Donta Hightower or Wes Welker. Both guys agents balked at patriots offers which would've paid them much more than they wound up making. Unfortunately for the pats welker went to another team while Hightower came back with his tail between his legs.

Not sure why smart should ignore the Celtics and feel "disrespected" because they wont pay him millions more than he is worth. Doesn't seem like other teams want to pay him that either.

« Reply #785 on: July 12, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Danny seems to be following the Belicheck MO when players ask for more than their market worth. See Donta Hightower or Wes Welker. Both guys agents balked at patriots offers which would've paid them much more than they wound up making. Unfortunately for the pats welker went to another team while Hightower came back with his tail between his legs.

Not sure why smart should ignore the Celtics and feel "disrespected" because they wont pay him millions more than he is worth. Doesn't seem like other teams want to pay him that either.
I hope this doesn't turn into a Malcolm Butler situation. You Patriot fans know exactly what I'm talking about.

« Reply #786 on: July 12, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1017239080143282176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1017417298251010048&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

A source close to Marcus Smart says Smart has been “unresponsive” in #Celtics’ efforts to reach out because he is “insulted by what he feels is a lack of respect by front office.”

I mean, it seems like Smart's ego is a bit damaged from all of this, which is the main force driving all of these reports. It's not the C's fault that he overestimated his value on the market this summer. Yeah, Smart has given a lot to the team and gives it his all every time he steps on the court, but the C's still have to do what is best for them as a team/organization. They're not going to simply offer everything Smart wants given the tax ramifications and the fact that no other team is forcing their hand.

Perhaps Smart should've just accepted the 12/48 extension back in October rather than listen to his dumbarse agent giving him false hope. Bad thing is that after all of this it's hard to see Smart sticking with us next summer if he plays this year on the QO.

I wish a team like Sacramento or Brooklyn would sign him to the 12/48 type of contract so we can be forced to match and get this all over with.

I think it's quite clear he was expecting an Evan Turner/Kent Bazemore type of contract. Some of these agents really dropped the ball in evaluating the current market and explaining to their clients that the 2016 off season windfall was a fluke.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #787 on: July 12, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think Nets are trying to free up cap space to make a offer on Smart.  We need to get something done before they have a chance right?

https://twitter.com/Mitch_Lawrence/status/1017135849702658048

Oklahoma City looking to get something for Carmelo Anthony and talking to Brooklyn about a deal, with Jeremy Lin potentially going to OKC, per sources. Nets looking to get pick(s). Want to move Lin and would buy out Melo.
The Nets are trying to get future draft picks. You don't try to open up cap space by trading for a $28 million a year player and releasing him or buying him out. If the Nets were looking to free up space to sign a player there are easier ways than trading for Carmelo Anthony.

I think the idea is that they would use the stretch provision on Anthony.  If waived before Aug 31, Anthony's remaining year can be stretched across 3 years, reducing the cap hit from 27.9M down to 9.3M per year.

So, if the Nets trade Lin (12.5M) plus, say Carroll (15.4M), for Anthony plus draft picks they can

clear a roster spot
waive Anthony and clear 18.6M of space

That's just one possibility.  Not saying I have any idea whether the Nets want to do this.

If the Nets are genuinely attempting to trade for Carmelo with the intention of immediately waiving him, it's almost certainly to clear the final year of Allen Crabbe's contract from their cap sheet and go into the 2019 Offseason Of Many Stars with almost perfectly clean books (aside from, hilariously, a $5.4m charge for Deron Williams) by eating the entire charge this season (what they did with Dwight), not in an attempt to waive and stretch Carmelo so they can offer Marcus $80 million in the next few weeks.

Yeah, I totally agree.  I'm just trying to make some sense out of the pieces of info in the rumor.  It mentioned Lin as one of the pieces.   'Couldn't figure out how to do both Lin and Crabbe.

It's just a silly mental exercise in making the trade rules work at this point.  Very little of this rumor makes much sense from a basketball standpoint.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #788 on: July 12, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I wouldn't automatically blame the agent.  You think Smart has no input?  Who told Smart to go to college for an extra year only to slip lower in the draft than if he declared?  Clearly Smart always bets on himself and always thinks he will improve with time.

« Reply #789 on: July 12, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just don't understand why this is taking so long. The longer it takes the more likely some teams can move money and make it available to make an offer for Smart (ie. OKC). C'mon Danny get this done and stop dragging it out.

OKC can’t make an offer for Smart.  They are $57 million over the cap.  There is no team aside from Golden State that is less of a threat.

The Celtics are being patient because they don’t think Smart can get he deal he wants from anybody.  Teams aren’t going to create cap room for the sole purpose of signing Smart, either.  If they do, and Smart accepts their offer, the Celtics can match, meaning that team has acquired cap room can no longer use as well with almost all worthy free agents already off the market.

Okay so maybe it's not OKC but how about Brooklyn? or Sacramento? The point is you should try to get this important piece of the team signed without having to match something you don't want to match. I am pretty confident that if we came up a team friendly deal that also made Marcus feel wanted and maybe with a player option at some point that they could get it done. I understand you don't bid against yourself but you should also show some love to your players for their efforts. Does anyone think we would be doing this in a few years when it's time for Jaylen or Jayson? I know it's a different level perhaps but just as important for our team and chemistry. If you know you are going to pay tax then just get it done or be creative to stay just below tax but make the player happy as well.
The bolded area....maybe the front office doesn't think Smart is as important a piece as you do. This team won 55 games without Hayward all year and Kyrie and Smart for a third of the year each. Add Kyrie and Hayward as healthy and subtract Smart, and this team still wins 60+ games and still probably goes to the Finals. Maybe Smart just isn't as important as you think he is.

« Reply #790 on: July 12, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I wouldn't automatically blame the agent.  You think Smart has no input?  Who told Smart to go to college for an extra year only to slip lower in the draft than if he declared?  Clearly Smart always bets on himself and always thinks he will improve with time.
Pretty difficult to imagine him being picked earlier than 6th in the prior draft.  not that that year's draft had any standouts or sure things at that time but I think going back for that extra year actually helped his draft position.

« Reply #791 on: July 12, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am surprised by this (willing to pay the tax for Smart).  I am surprised Ainge said anything one way or the other.

Per Chris Forsberg
ESPN Staff Writer
Signing Smart at anything more than the qualifying offer would almost certainly push Boston into the luxury tax this season, but Ainge suggested the team is ready to pay to field a title contender.

"It's my job to be fiscally responsible, but we will pay the tax," Ainge said. "We plan on being a taxpayer for sure."

« Reply #792 on: July 12, 2018, 01:07:46 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I just don't understand why this is taking so long. The longer it takes the more likely some teams can move money and make it available to make an offer for Smart (ie. OKC). C'mon Danny get this done and stop dragging it out.

OKC can’t make an offer for Smart.  They are $57 million over the cap.  There is no team aside from Golden State that is less of a threat.

The Celtics are being patient because they don’t think Smart can get he deal he wants from anybody.  Teams aren’t going to create cap room for the sole purpose of signing Smart, either.  If they do, and Smart accepts their offer, the Celtics can match, meaning that team has acquired cap room can no longer use as well with almost all worthy free agents already off the market.

Okay so maybe it's not OKC but how about Brooklyn? or Sacramento? The point is you should try to get this important piece of the team signed without having to match something you don't want to match. I am pretty confident that if we came up a team friendly deal that also made Marcus feel wanted and maybe with a player option at some point that they could get it done. I understand you don't bid against yourself but you should also show some love to your players for their efforts. Does anyone think we would be doing this in a few years when it's time for Jaylen or Jayson? I know it's a different level perhaps but just as important for our team and chemistry. If you know you are going to pay tax then just get it done or be creative to stay just below tax but make the player happy as well.
The bolded area....maybe the front office doesn't think Smart is as important a piece as you do. This team won 55 games without Hayward all year and Kyrie and Smart for a third of the year each. Add Kyrie and Hayward as healthy and subtract Smart, and this team still wins 60+ games and still probably goes to the Finals. Maybe Smart just isn't as important as you think he is.

I am sure that is very possible that they do not value him as much as I do but adding Hayward & Kyrie certainly helps the offense but I would like to keep the defense in tact as well. Offense wins games, defense wins championships. I still wonder if this has anything to do with Kawhi and the possibility of signing Smart to a bigger contract to accommodate a Kawhi trade. If that's the case then I can live with the delay but if not I just want to get this done. Yes I guess I certainly could value Smart more than the ownership wants to pay tax but if you want to be one of the big boys then start paying like the big boys.

« Reply #793 on: July 12, 2018, 02:32:33 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Smart and his agent are probably scrambling to get anything close to the 4 year/$48 mil the C's offered him last year. The reality is for him not to have signed yet, it means he's still holding out hope that someone will offer more than that. At this point, it doesn't sound like anyone has even come close to that.

The C's are sitting pretty imo. They are not going to get against themselves. They may offer Smart that deal again. They may have pulled that deal after this last season. Smart may just sign the QO. I think the C's win in both of those situations.

Disagree that if he is forced to sign QO we don't win. It's a lose-lose.
It really isn't. Cs win big time on that. It's not their fault Smart and his agent misread the market. That's on them. Cs have them an offer last year that no team has come close to offering yet and they turned it down. It's basically the Noel situation all over again.

Cs are letting the market dictate what Smart is really worth. That being said, I do think they will work out a deal.

Exactly the Noel situation all over again. So how did Noel work out on the QO for Noel last year? How did it help out Dallas? Where is Noel now?

Exactly. I do NOT want an unhappy, non-productive Smart this year followed by him leaving as an UFA next year. I want the Marcus Smart we have know up until now for this year and years to come.
What would you have them do? Just go above the offer that they offered him last year for no reason just so he won't have hurt feelings? I get what you are saying but it is business. Smart was the one who elected to turn down that deal and chose to play his cards this off-season unfortunately.

Like I said earlier, I expect both sides to come to a deal near the one offered to him last season in the end.

« Reply #794 on: July 12, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'm not sure I understand.  The Noel situation is a caution for players, not for teams. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes