Author Topic: Is making all-star in east all of a sudden.... tough  (Read 8500 times)

Re: Is making all-star in east all of a sudden.... tough
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Kemba will get in for sure as long as the Celts are near the top of the standings.

Giannis is a lock.

Butler will get in if the Heat continue to do well.

Siakam is a lock.

Embiid is a lock if he plays enough games.

Brogon will get in if he keeps playing the way he has and the Pacers are doing well.

Drummond is going to be an All-Star if he continues to average nearly 20 points and over 16 rebounds.  I won't be surprised if he falls off that pace a bit though.

Irving will probably make it in if he plays enough games and the Nets are near .500.

Trae Young will have an argument if he keeps his counting stats way up and the Hawks aren't abjectly terrible.

Bradley Beal is going to get in if he keeps putting up crazy stats.

Other possibilities:

Sabonis is putting up really good numbers.

Tatum / Brown / Hayward -- one of these guys will get in if the Celts are good

The way you have written this it looks like you named 13 players, so everybody except one would get in.

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kemba will get in for sure as long as the Celts are near the top of the standings.

Giannis is a lock.

Butler will get in if the Heat continue to do well.

Siakam is a lock.

Embiid is a lock if he plays enough games.

Brogon will get in if he keeps playing the way he has and the Pacers are doing well.

Drummond is going to be an All-Star if he continues to average nearly 20 points and over 16 rebounds.  I won't be surprised if he falls off that pace a bit though.

Irving will probably make it in if he plays enough games and the Nets are near .500.

Trae Young will have an argument if he keeps his counting stats way up and the Hawks aren't abjectly terrible.

Bradley Beal is going to get in if he keeps putting up crazy stats.

Other possibilities:

Sabonis is putting up really good numbers.

Tatum / Brown / Hayward -- one of these guys will get in if the Celts are good

The way you have written this it looks like you named 13 players, so everybody except one would get in.

Yeah, I didn't sit down and count everything out.

There's probably some names I'm forgetting "on the bubble" and I haven't put much thought into positions etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
"IF" Gordon Hayward comes back around end of December as scheduled and continues his current statistical run can he STILL make the ASG?

Please forgive me if this is posted somewhere else...

Would LOVE to see him get in......

When is the cutoff for voting? Would he have missed too many games?

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
"IF" Gordon Hayward comes back around end of December as scheduled and continues his current statistical run can he STILL make the ASG?

The All-Star game is on Feb 16th and the selections are made mid January some time. So the sooner Hayward gets back and gets back to performing like he did before he got hurt, the better. If he comes back in 5 weeks and gets an entire months worth of play in, if all that play is as good as his early season play and if the Celtics go on a winning streak in that period of time then he has a decent shot. Lots of ifs there though. I would love to see it. I think Gordon would have earned the recognition.

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

The All-Star game is on Feb 16th and the selections are made mid January some time. So the sooner Hayward gets back and gets back to performing like he did before he got hurt, the better. If he comes back in 5 weeks and gets an entire months worth of play in, if all that play is as good as his early season play and if the Celtics go on a winning streak in that period of time then he has a decent shot. Lots of ifs there though. I would love to see it. I think Gordon would have earned the recognition.

Thanks, Nick...so there IS a chance...that is all he needs.

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2019, 07:12:19 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Last year it went:

Thu 1/24 Starters announced (selected by fans, media, players)
Thu 1/31 Reserves announced (selected by coaches)
Thu 2/13 Finals games played before All-Star weekend
Sun 2/17 All-Star game

So if if this year follows a similar format, it will probably be:

Thu 1/23 Starters announced
Thu 1/30 Reserves announced
Thu 2/12 Final games played before All-Star weekend
Sun 2/16 All-Star game

If Hayward comes back on Christmas and plays every game, I count he'll have played 27 (out of 46) games before the coaches vote, and up to 35 games before the actual All-Star break (to be selected as an injury replacement by the Commish, but I believe he usually just selects the next guy with the most coaches votes).

Some notable guys selected as reserves missing significant number of games:

2015 - Durant, 21 of 46 games
2005 - Ray Allen, 21 of 46 games
2002 - Chris Webber 20 of 43 games

I'm sure there's others, but this is just what I remember.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2019, 07:25:15 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It has gotten tougher for sure. Imagine if we had a post preseason that stated we could have 3-4 Celtics being considered for all star team! Crazy!

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
It has gotten tougher for sure. Imagine if we had a post preseason that stated we could have 3-4 Celtics being considered for all star team! Crazy!

2011 ASG:

Loved that season...we had Shaq onboard and we were actually dominant with him in the middle - at least until the injuries set in...

Doc Rivers intended on playing those 4 with Dwight Howard back then - in a ploy to persuade him to come to BOS one day IIRC, lol...

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
We get 4 All Stars this season or next Brad Stevens ought to pair them with Joel Embiid........

C - Embiid
PF - Jayson
SF- GH
SG - Jaylen
PG - Kemba

The Ultimate Troll job. 76er fans would hate this I'm sure. He could easily switch out Greek Freak as Center too I'd bet.