Author Topic: We really should fire Danny Ainge  (Read 17770 times)

Re: We really should fire Danny Ainge
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2019, 06:21:04 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I agree somewhat..guy cant draft for sure..only hits has been Tatum, Perk, Brown, Rondo, Bradley, might miss someone else..

Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Ryan Gomes, Marcus Smart, E’twaun Moore, Kelly Olynyk, and Terry Rozier. And arguably Jared Sullinger.

All were solid players, even if Danny didn’t always hit on the best available player.

That list is a real whose who of, "who?"

I'm sure you'll agree that only die-hard Celtics fans and followers of TMZ will know who even a third of the guys on that list are.  N'ery a star among them which I think is the OP's point.   

I’m not sure that grading draft picks based upon who casual fans can identify is the best standard.  Every one of those guys with the exception of Leon Powe turned into a regular NBA starter.

And yet, any non-casual NBA fan will agree that none of those players are quality starters and most of them weren't even quality role-players (hence why most of that list isn't in the league).

Let's not pretend that having a cup-of-coffee with a small market team that's tanking makes you a "regular NBA starter," this isn't FOX NEWS we can have actual facts here. 

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2019, 06:25:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ufff. I didn’t get destroyed or refuted.. I can defend my methodology and metrics.
This tread is becoming gradually more and more hostile towards differing opinions.
It reminds me of political debates between those on the ultra left and ultra right.

Your right it is getting like a political thread because when one side gets destroyed in those arguments folks move the goal posts and cling to their desperation even when the consensus is against them or they are proven wrong.

I think your hostile towards criticism which is a form of differing opinion.   Part of being on a blog and posting ideas means you may be challenged in the exchange of ideas and people have post some data that contradicts with your opinion.   This used to be a normal part of discussion but in today's snowflake culture it is frowned upon which is complete and utter nonsense.   

Did you really expect folks to agree with you?   Most folks here love Ainge, and to use political terms you just went to a Trump rally with a Biden hat on or a Warren Rally with a Trump hat on.  But now your trying to play it up like folks are hostile towards differing opinions, when you really set yourself up.   Ridiculous.

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2019, 06:51:58 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Ufff. I didn’t get destroyed or refuted.. I can defend my methodology and metrics.
This tread is becoming gradually more and more hostile towards differing opinions.
It reminds me of political debates between those on the ultra left and ultra right.

Your right it is getting like a political thread because when one side gets destroyed in those arguments folks move the goal posts and cling to their desperation even when the consensus is against them or they are proven wrong.

I think your hostile towards criticism which is a form of differing opinion.   Part of being on a blog and posting ideas means you may be challenged in the exchange of ideas and people have post some data that contradicts with your opinion.   This used to be a normal part of discussion but in today's snowflake culture it is frowned upon which is complete and utter nonsense.   

Did you really expect folks to agree with you?   Most folks here love Ainge, and to use political terms you just went to a Trump rally with a Biden hat on or a Warren Rally with a Trump hat on.  But now your trying to play it up like folks are hostile towards differing opinions, when you really set yourself up.   Ridiculous.

I agree. I don’t expect people to change their opinion but to be less hostile.or constructive ..

But when your closing argument is:
 “ so you hate America! “ Laura ingraham on Fox towards democrat analysts. 
Or
“ Did you just just compare one group to another????? , “ obviously you can not use analogy or statistics according to CNN analysts when they refute conservatives...

ESPN talk heads use the same approaches when they can’t find an argument .. “ did you mention so and so in the same sentence with Michael Jordan???”..

This type of arguments make it feel like it’s not a real discussion whether it’s sports or politics.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:57:58 AM by NKY fan »

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 08:08:42 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
How should we hire then?

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 09:30:36 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
I’m not sure what all the heat is about this thread....

Ainge is a solid to good drafter. Hasn’t picked any real hidden gems but also hasn’t blown his early lottery picks. Has lots of nobodies and some solid role players for his late picks. B range drafter.

Ainge has done a ton of trades. And in the long game this has been largely successful. Sometimes they’ve been sideways trades but often times those sideways trades result in another franchise improving trade. A range trader. 

Ainge changed the narrative of Boston not being a free agent destination. Recently an A range free agent getter, overall maybe B range.

Ainge has hired quality coaches. Doc and Stevens are very good coaches. Easily B range here too.

Until a better GM becomes available or obvious, why would you fire him? He’s not the best GM in the league but he’s in the discussion of the top GMS.

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2019, 09:39:07 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I agree somewhat..guy cant draft for sure..only hits has been Tatum, Perk, Brown, Rondo, Bradley, might miss someone else..

Al Jefferson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Glen Davis, Ryan Gomes, Marcus Smart, E’twaun Moore, Kelly Olynyk, and Terry Rozier. And arguably Jared Sullinger.

All were solid players, even if Danny didn’t always hit on the best available player.

That list is a real whose who of, "who?"

I'm sure you'll agree that only die-hard Celtics fans and followers of TMZ will know who even a third of the guys on that list are.  N'ery a star among them which I think is the OP's point.   

I’m not sure that grading draft picks based upon who casual fans can identify is the best standard.  Every one of those guys with the exception of Leon Powe turned into a regular NBA starter.

And yet, any non-casual NBA fan will agree that none of those players are quality starters and most of them weren't even quality role-players (hence why most of that list isn't in the league).

Let's not pretend that having a cup-of-coffee with a small market team that's tanking makes you a "regular NBA starter," this isn't FOX NEWS we can have actual facts here. 

I think most of those players are quality role players, I mean if you average 20-30 mins a game for multiple years I feel that makes you at minimum a quality role player.

Starter=
Al Jefferson

Major Role/ Bench Player=
Smart
Tony Allen
Rozier(at times)

Solid role/Bench Player=
Delonte West(especially in CLE)
Glenn Davis
Kelly Olynyk
E'twuan Moore
Ryan Gomes

Leon Powe and Jared Sullinger are the only ones I would consider a not major role players and I think part of that was due to health.

And the whole most are not in the league anymore thing is weird to me. Only one is Sullinger maybe Glenn Davis. The rest that not in league are old... Jefferson, west, Allen, gomes.

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
How should we hire then?
Phil Jackson, he gives guys books to read and lights up those fragrant sticks in the locker room.
He is the Lord of the rings. And what criteria do we need except his championship pedigree?
One small detail though, he made vinegar from a vine, in his brain.
But who cares, let's just fire Ainge for the heck of it.
We will ask questions later, after 5 years of the lottery.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Until a better GM becomes available or obvious, why would you fire him? He’s not the best GM in the league but he’s in the discussion of the top GMS.

Because there are plenty of armchair GMs on here who think they can do a better job or are very selective on track record.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Because there are plenty of armchair GMs on here who think they can do a better job or are very selective on track record.
Besides the OP no one else has proposed firing Danny.

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Ainge should retire as the day to day GM. He has already had multiple health scares.  No reason to continue with the day to day stress of the job.  Zarren also from the outside appears ready to take over the day to day role as the lead guy.  Maybe you keep Ainge on as an advisor or some other capacity since he and Zarren work well together anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Besides the OP no one else has proposed firing Danny.

These type of threads have been popping up on the board every now & then for years.  It's not a new theme but usually contains the same half baked ideas and themes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:26:58 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
How should we hire then?
Not that Danny is going anywhere, but if he did...

:P :P

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Ainge should retire as the day to day GM. He has already had multiple health scares.  No reason to continue with the day to day stress of the job.  Zarren also from the outside appears ready to take over the day to day role as the lead guy.  Maybe you keep Ainge on as an advisor or some other capacity since he and Zarren work well together anyway.

I agree regarding Danny’s health; I worry about him having “the big one” some trade deadline. And Zarren is ready. But, on merit, Danny has earned the right to make that call.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I thought it was pretty obvious Zarren is next in line to receive the GM job?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
This idiotic thread just exemplifies how bad some Celtics fans are.