Author Topic: W. Carter's mom: free Duke education is the equivalent of African slavery  (Read 24082 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just think about it this way, if all of the athletes who were capable of going pro decided to forgo college the amount of revenue these colleges bring in would drastically decrease.   Probably not right away, as there is a lot of built up interest, but over time the money coming in would evaporate.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Just think about it this way, if all of the athletes who were capable of going pro decided to forgo college the amount of revenue these colleges bring in would drastically decrease.   Probably not right away, as there is a lot of built up interest, but over time the money coming in would evaporate.
no it wouldn’t. Gotta have proof to come up with such a conclusion. The fans will go to games regardless. I’ve never seen duke not have a packed arena. The TV deals are long term fixed deals as well

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
no it wouldn’t. Gotta have proof to come up with such a conclusion. The fans will go to games regardless. I’ve never seen duke not have a packed arena. The TV deals are long term fixed deals as well

TV contracts aren't forever and would have to be renegotiated eventually.   No network is going to pay as much for an inferior product. Casual fans will stop paying attention.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
But for the small percentage of pro athletes who will be chasing that pro career for the next 10-20 years of their life (like Wendell Carter probably will), that education isn't really providing much value.

Perhaps not, but that’s a choice. How many pro leagues are there?

Sure, there’s a one year impediment between Young and his dreams. What about the extremely talented legal mind, that someday might be on the Supreme Court? He or she still has to spend seven years in college / law school, plus in many cases unpaid internships, clerkships, etc. Same thing with doctors, and many other fields.

Waiting one year is hardly an imposition.

And, except for maybe 35 people per year (out of many thousands of D1 basketball players) that degree is a more sensible pursuit than the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Interesting times when the best option for 99% of these kids is to volunteer themselves into "slavery."  Meanwhile their peers are paying 40-70k a year and in many instances working at unpaid internships or externships (for companies that generate revenues in excess of the NCAA). 

Not surprising comments from a woman who seems to inject race into the conversation whenever possible.

What are you basing this on?

From the last time she was quoted in an interview.   And the time before that, and the time before that.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
But for the small percentage of pro athletes who will be chasing that pro career for the next 10-20 years of their life (like Wendell Carter probably will), that education isn't really providing much value.

Perhaps not, but that’s a choice. How many pro leagues are there?

Sure, there’s a one year impediment between Young and his dreams. What about the extremely talented legal mind, that someday might be on the Supreme Court? He or she still has to spend seven years in college / law school, plus in many cases unpaid internships, clerkships, etc. Same thing with doctors, and many other fields.

Waiting one year is hardly an imposition.

And, except for maybe 35 people per year (out of many thousands of D1 basketball players) that degree is a more sensible pursuit than the NBA.

Couple of related thoughts:

I'd think that many who have survived grad school can attest to how brutal it can be.  Grad students are often incredibly over-worked, underpaid (if at all), live in poverty for 5-7 years post-bachelors, and generally get taken advantage of.  Advisors and supervisors are the ultimate gatekeepers, and that's just 'the way it's always been.' 

While I agree with others that the NCAA does unduly profit from some, many athletes have a much different experience.  A 19-year-old may choose to sacrifice time, energy, academics, etc. to play with an appreciation for many benefits.  The experience allows some to fulfill a life-long dream, develop as a young man/woman (e.g., discipline, work-ethic, confidence), continue to play the sport they love, etc.  The short-term delay of some benefits does not discount the positives that also benefit even the most elite collegiate athletes, imo.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Interesting times when the best option for 99% of these kids is to volunteer themselves into "slavery."  Meanwhile their peers are paying 40-70k a year and in many instances working at unpaid internships or externships (for companies that generate revenues in excess of the NCAA). 

Not surprising comments from a woman who seems to inject race into the conversation whenever possible.

What are you basing this on?

From the last time she was quoted in an interview.   And the time before that, and the time before that.

Do you have a link to any of these articles? I'd never heard or seen anything from her until now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd think that many who have survived grad school can attest to how brutal it can be.  Grad students are often incredibly over-worked, underpaid (if at all), live in poverty for 5-7 years post-bachelors, and generally get taken advantage of.  Advisors and supervisors are the ultimate gatekeepers, and that's just 'the way it's always been.'

I worked while I went to grad school a forty hour a week job full course load.   It cut down on my fun time but I did not think it was that bad, because I thought that by grad school, they are filtering out people prior to get into it.  The papers were bad, but not working was not an option for me.   I was in the military during war, so I experienced far worse than grad school.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
People say the dumbest things. Nothing is like slavery except slavery. Owning another person, they are your property and you can do whatever you want with/to that person. Nothing compares to that period!!!

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
This conversation reminded me of this interview with Arian Foster.  At 1:20 he starts to explain how his college didn't allow him to register for the degree he wanted because it interfered with practices and workouts.  He also explains the amount of time they expected out of him at workouts...interesting insight.  I'm not sure if it's in this clip, but at one point he talks about the idea of having a 'football' degree at colleges so players could major in football or basketball...the idea being the sports industry is huge and they could teach players how to participate in the sport after college (coaching, training, strategy, marketing, etc.)  I thought that was interesting idea and probably more helpful than the bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. degrees a lot of players gravitate to.

Anyway, the idea that the player is getting a free education is not exactly true in the way I would have anticipated after listening to the whole interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5mRGQ9kdQQ

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This conversation reminded me of this interview with Arian Foster.  At 1:20 he starts to explain how his college didn't allow him to register for the degree he wanted because it interfered with practices and workouts.  He also explains the amount of time they expected out of him at workouts...interesting insight.  I'm not sure if it's in this clip, but at one point he talks about the idea of having a 'football' degree at colleges so players could major in football or basketball...the idea being the sports industry is huge and they could teach players how to participate in the sport after college (coaching, training, strategy, marketing, etc.)  I thought that was interesting idea and probably more helpful than the bull**** degrees a lot of players gravitate to.

Anyway, the idea that the player is getting a free education is not exactly true in the way I would have anticipated after listening to the whole interview...

TP

Just because other students pay $50,000 to go to Duke, doesn't mean every student is getting $50,000 worth of an education.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This conversation reminded me of this interview with Arian Foster.  At 1:20 he starts to explain how his college didn't allow him to register for the degree he wanted because it interfered with practices and workouts.  He also explains the amount of time they expected out of him at workouts...interesting insight.  I'm not sure if it's in this clip, but at one point he talks about the idea of having a 'football' degree at colleges so players could major in football or basketball...the idea being the sports industry is huge and they could teach players how to participate in the sport after college (coaching, training, strategy, marketing, etc.)  I thought that was interesting idea and probably more helpful than the bull**** degrees a lot of players gravitate to.

TP

Just because other students pay $50,000 to go to Duke, doesn't mean every student is getting $50,000 worth of an education.

It’s there if they want it. Florida State and TCU have had Rhodes Scholars on their football team in recent years.  There are many Academic All-Americans playing D1 sports.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Lol so much fake outrage. College athletes aren’t fairly compensated and at the very least should be allowed to own their own likeness. Let her vent.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Lol so much fake outrage. College athletes aren’t fairly compensated and at the very least should be allowed to own their own likeness. Let her vent.

Let her vent by comparing something that is in no way similar to slavery to actual slavery?

Yeah, no. This woman deserves to be called out.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

Let her vent by comparing something that is in no way similar to slavery to actual slavery?

Yeah, no. This woman deserves to be called out.

The ncaa should be called out. Not her. People get distracted by headlines but she is not the villain here.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio