Author Topic: Morris is the WEAKEST link  (Read 6353 times)

Re: Morris is the WEAKEST link
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Morris is playing PF because Stevens likes to play small ball for long stretches of games and we get killed in the paint and on the boards. We have 4 bigs and too often 2 are always hurt...Horford, Baynes, Theis and Williams.

I hate small ball. It makes you less physical and then they turn into a jump shooting team and never set any physical tone in the game. It's good when your shots are falling but it doesn't help when the other team doesn't care, they just pound you.

But oddly enough we are losing because we aren’t getting to the 3 point shooters. You would think Morris would excel since he is really a SF, but he is proving to be a dinosaur out there. He simply cannot keep up to save his life. It’s sad to see and blasphemous to complain to the media about anyone else’s effort. He bleeds no green. Morris is Brandon Bass with no defense and less athleticism.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I disagree.  Morris is not our problem.  He is a swing who is being asked to be a starting PF on a team that is too small.  Morris is what he is.  He has been about as good this season as last season, maybe better, and about what he has been his whole career.  He has up and down nights, he battles wear and tear injuries, but he puts it out there.

There isn't a simple answer to this.

Morris was good the first 20-25 games. This new Morris plays tired and acts entitled. Ever since Morris shoved Jaylen he has regressed and Jaylen has been playing with urgency.

November   13.6 pts/6.1 rebs/26.9 min
December   18.3 pts/5.4 rebs/29.5 min
January      12.6 pts/6.0 rebs/27.0 min
February    13.8 pts/5.5 rebs/29.8 min

Season      14.6 pts/6.0 rebs/27.5 min

I don't know.  I am not seeing that.  He has been a 14 point/6 rebound player since 2015.  He ebbs and flows through the season mostly due to the wear and tear on his knees.  I am not suggesting he is a great player.  I wish we had someone better (or just as good but bigger) to start at PF.  He is a versatile swing who can give you a pretty good 25 min or so a night.  He is probably ideally suited to come off the bench but has been playing as a starter (although still around 25 min.).  He is giving the team exactly what I expected him to give the team.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 11:52:52 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
I disagree.  Morris is not our problem.  He is a swing who is being asked to be a starting PF on a team that is too small.  Morris is what he is.  He has been about as good this season as last season, maybe better, and about what he has been his whole career.  He has up and down nights, he battles wear and tear injuries, but he puts it out there.

Morris was good the first 20-25 games. This new Morris plays tired and acts entitled. Ever since Morris shoved Jaylen he has regressed and Jaylen has been playing with urgency.

I don't know.  I am not seeing that.  He has been a 14 point/6 rebound player since 2015.  He ebbs and flows through the season mostly due to the wear and tear on his knees.  I am not suggesting he is a great player.  I wish we had someone better (or just as good but bigger) to start at PF.  He is a versatile swing who can give you a pretty good 25 min or so a night.  He is probably ideally suited to come off the bench but has been playing as a starter (although still around 25 min.).  He is giving the team exactly what I expected him to give the team.

Those stats don’t tell the story. Morris defensively has been ATROCIOUS and his body language is Exhausting. We blew back to back 20 point leads because of poor effort and “pretend” defense. Morris can shoot, sure. He sucks in almost every other area. He looks like he is over the hill and it’s inexcusable.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 05:07:10 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
You guys are crazy.

He's calling it like it is.

Morris has been one of our best, most productive, and easily the MOST consistent players ALL year.

We don't win half the games we've won without him.

His shooting has been highly impressive and he's not afraid to TAKE big shots.

Celtics homers just can't admit it when their team is actually vastly overrated by many.

The best players have a right to criticize. Morris is a major reason we lost the last 2 games. You have to be a blind Morris loyalist to excuse his plodding up and down the court. Morris as your PF will win you nothing. It’s plain as day and I’m truly sorry.

He was but so was a guy like Smart, who does not get called out often enough.

Of course Marcus has played well and has proved guys like me wrong, that he can actually make the three point shot

BUT what isnt seen is that Marcus is still a terrible shooter, in that no matter how open he is, his shot remains the same, the chances do not increase like most players ///

Marcus Smart had to open shots in the Laker games back to back on the same possession and bricked both, which would have put the celtics up 5 with 2 minutes.

Marcus Smart had 3 or 4 open 3's which he missed after being inserted for Rozier in the 4th with 5 minutes left.
They lost on Rondo's GW.

Clippers game same thing, clippers daring him to shoot and he bricks 3 after 3.....

Smart's importance is that he will be left alone to either shoot his team in the foot or make the other team pay.

Nobody will pay attention to him, and thats what they have done this year. Leave him open and let him kill you, and not Kyrie Irving.

I have never seen a volume 3 point shooter miss so many wide wide open 3 pointers.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just don't understand how this hasn't been posted yet. My sincerest apologies in advance  :P

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I just don't understand how this hasn't been posted yet. My sincerest apologies in advance  :P

Some here might not be old enough to remember it  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
This thread right here displays why free agents are hard-pressed to come here, and even AGENTS steering clients away from this place. Y'all turn on players for the most petty Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. When his shot was falling earlier and hardly missing, y'all gave him that fake bs.  Throw in this city's history, then players hearing about Brad saying players need to earn it, right...but then jump Hayward over everyone that earned it, while he hasn't earned a [dang] thing.

There's no way these little things don't rub people the wrong way

Even Pitino was p---ed when he left and called y'all the fellowship of the miserable :)

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 07:00:21 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
And STILL give Hayward the benefit of the doubt over, and over, and over.

I wonder why that is

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I wonder why that is
Lol, a bit of empathy would be a fine thing wouldn't it?

It's not the benefit of the doubt. He needs reps to get into game shape. The only way he can get those is by playing. He's also much more of a contributor than Rozier on both ends.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This thread right here displays why free agents are hard-pressed to come here, and even AGENTS steering clients away from this place. Y'all turn on players for the most petty ****. When his shot was falling earlier and hardly missing, y'all gave him that fake bs.  Throw in this city's history, then players hearing about Brad saying players need to earn it, right...but then jump Hayward over everyone that earned it, while he hasn't earned a [dang] thing.

Even Pitino was p---ed when he left and called y'all the fellowship of the miserable :)

You are poking at a few painful truths.  Better stop.  I can't help but think that free agents are turned off by the savagery that any non-superstar Celtics gets treated to when they have a slump.  But, to balance your post, you should know that Hayward has also been savaged needlessly.  He is a very unselfish player doing his best.  It's not his fault he was put in the starting lineup too soon.  In fact, in hindsight, putting him with starters was probably a way to take pressure off him, but it didn't work out that way....and at this point, in fact 2 months ago I posted, that Brown should be getting more minutes and Hayward less, most likely for the rest of the season....   If I'm wrong due to plus/minus, then so be it...just going by my eyes. 

i've been a Morris supporter dating back to last year when he missed a bunch of time due to injury....saying he was badly missed.  Now that we're deeper, well, if he gets hot in the playoffs he'll carry us some..

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford

I wonder why that is
Lol, a bit of empathy would be a fine thing wouldn't it?

It's not the benefit of the doubt. He needs reps to get into game shape. The only way he can get those is by playing. He's also much more of a contributor than Rozier on both ends.

Honestly man, I understand that. There's just a certain kind of person I'm never gonna like.

And I'm not anti-Hayward and want him to get it together, but I'm holding up a mirror so some people might actually take a look at themselves.  I was reading this board when they went after Crowder too, and it all started from their love of Hayward.

But I'll be honest though...to me he's not a Max player. And they gave him that real easy. Just don't like the double standards.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Those stats don’t tell the story. Morris defensively has been ATROCIOUS and his body language is Exhausting. We blew back to back 20 point leads because of poor effort and “pretend” defense. Morris can shoot, sure. He sucks in almost every other area. He looks like he is over the hill and it’s inexcusable.

Ainge made a mistake by not trading him. Maybe Houston or Utah would have had a place for him.
I'm so sick of Morris and our small ball. Just play two bigs.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
This thread right here displays why free agents are hard-pressed to come here, and even AGENTS steering clients away from this place. Y'all turn on players for the most petty ****. When his shot was falling earlier and hardly missing, y'all gave him that fake bs.  Throw in this city's history, then players hearing about Brad saying players need to earn it, right...but then jump Hayward over everyone that earned it, while he hasn't earned a [dang] thing.

You are poking at a few painful truths.  Better stop.  I can't help but think that free agents are turned off by the savagery that any non-superstar Celtics gets treated to when they have a slump.  But, to balance your post, you should know that Hayward has also been savaged needlessly.  He is a very unselfish player doing his best.  It's not his fault he was put in the starting lineup too soon.  In fact, in hindsight, putting him with starters was probably a way to take pressure off him, but it didn't work out that way....and at this point, in fact 2 months ago I posted, that Brown should be getting more minutes and Hayward less, most likely for the rest of the season....   If I'm wrong due to plus/minus, then so be it...just going by my eyes. 

i've been a Morris supporter dating back to last year when he missed a bunch of time due to injury....saying he was badly missed.  Now that we're deeper, well, if he gets hot in the playoffs he'll carry us some..

Well Hayward's alright with me, and I see all the things you mentioned, I just don't see him as some franchise player. Matter fact those 5 minutes he played last year before he got hurt...he looked absolutely the same to me as he does now.

I suspect Danny signed him simply because it's hard to get free agents to come here, and it's kind of poetic that he might be the reason they get stuck at being a good team and not a great one.

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2019, 07:02:38 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
I wont stop saying this until Morris is at the end of the Celtics bench. Semi Ojele deserves more minutes at this point.

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think Morris will be waved sometime before July 1. If he’s waived and Dallas claims him we avoid luxury tax and Dallas saves almost $4M because they have to reach the salary floor or else pay up the dollars needed to get to the floor to their players.