Author Topic: 2020 Historical Draft: FINALS: Celtics Win!!! Congrats to Who!!!  (Read 18311 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
BOSTON - Who
Kevin Durant (2016-17)
Steve Nash (2006-07)
Pau Gasol (2009-10)
Marc Gasol (2012-13)
Rasheed Wallace (2002-03)
Danny Granger (2008-09)
Allan Houston (1999-2000)
John Stockton (1999-2000)
Nene Hilario (2010-11)
Richard Jefferson (2005-06)
Goran Dragic (2013-14)
Jason Richardson (2007-08)
Jaren Jackson Jr. (2019-20)
Latrell Sprewell (1999-2000)

VS

UTAH - action781
Jason Kidd (2002-03)
Reggie Miller (1999-00)
Peja Stojakovic (2003-04)
Al Horford (2017-18)
Shaquille O’Neal (1999-2000)
Rajon Rondo (2011-12)
Trae Young (2019-20)
Marcus Smart (2019-20)
Jaylen Brown (2019-20)
Jamal Mashburn (2002-03)
PJ Tucker (2017-18)
Carlos Boozer (2006-07)
Tristan Thompson (2015-16)
Mehmet Okur (2006-07)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:34:34 AM by nickagneta »

Re: 2020 Historical Draft: FINALS: Boston vs Utah
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:04:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Thread is now open.

Who and action781 may post some information about their team and anything they want to talk about regarding the matchup

Votes will need to be PMed to me by 6:00PM EDT tomorrow, Friday April 10.

Remember the ballot should simply be your selection to win and the best of 7 series outcome.

IE... Knicks 4-2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston in 3.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Boston has the best team overall so I think they find a way to win this, though Shaq is a beast and Kidd should be able to neutralize Nash, but this is the type of matchup where I don't like Peja.  Even at his peak, he won't do much against Durant and I don't think Reggie is the right kind of SG to really take advantage of the Houston/Granger deficiencies. 

Boston is 6.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
My initial inclination is Boston but want to see some strategy posts from both action & Who before making my vote.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I see no one on the C's roster being able to slow down Shaq. Can't see a way for the C's to keep the ball away from him either. Kidd and Shaq would form the best pick n roll duo in NBA history. Obviously, KD would be unstoppable as well, but at the end of the day, 2000 Shaq > 2017 KD (at least imo).

The Celtics would have to send at least 1 help defender to slow down Shaq, which means that at least one of Reggie, Peja, Horford would be left wide open on the perimeter. If the Jazz make the open 3s, they will win the series. Personally speaking, I believe they would make these shots. I mean, Reggie and Peja are 2 of the best shooters in NBA history. Horford is good enough to punish the D as well.

Jazz in 6 by me, but I'm holding my vote to read Who's game plan against Shaq.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I have Boston winning unless convinced otherwise. The Celtics are just a well built team.

Also, apologies for not being able to vote. Long bank lines and hard quarantine here in the Philippines is a pain in the butt.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I thought Utah would be the best regular season team because I thought they would rack up more wins in, what I thought, was a much weaker conference. But as a matchup against Boston, I think the two teams very even.

Right now I have it 3-3 and Game 7 is on. I will need to hear from Who and action before making a Finals decision.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yeah, when I was building my team I didn't think there was a "way to stop Shaq" so I felt they best way to play Shaq was to attack him.

Shaq was a high level interior defender but he was a liability defensively away from the hoop. He simply did not move well enough and frankly was not comfortable playing defense away from the basket. He hated playing high post big men who could stretch the floor and he hated defending pick and rolls.

So with that in mind, that is how we planned to play Shaq.

To attack him. Ruthlessly.

To make him work defensively on every possession.

---------------

We want Shaq to be a scorer more than a passer.

We want to make him work. To expand energy. And we most certainly do not want him passing and creating easy shots for all those shooters Utah have.

We don't want him making his teammates better (with his playmaking). We want him making his teammates worse (due to his defensive weaknesses).

Utah's starters are not good at creating their own offense. They need help to get free. We do not want to help them do that. We want to contain them. We want to make Shaq beat us. We want to make him do everything. We want as much burden on his shoulders offensively & defensively as possible.

We want Shaq to be a scorer. Not a passer.

We know he'll score - he'll score a lot! - but we will contain his teammates and we will tire him down.

And then we want to grind him down some more on defense. Constantly attacking him in the PnR with Steve Nash and others like Kevin Durant. We want to wear Shaq down. No rest-bite. Attack, attack, attack.

Our shooters will be free to bomb away against the holes Shaq leaves behind.

----------------

Marc Gasol is our primary matchup against Shaq. He is more physically powerful / has a lower center of gravity / harder to move than most of the centers Shaq faced on his trips to 3 straight titles.

We have 5 big men who will all see time on Shaq. Marc Gasol will get as much playing time as fouls allow. Then we have Pau, Sheed, Nene and Jaren Jackson. Pau and Sheed are not as good defensively on Shaq but they can make Shaq work even more on defense than Marc Gasol can. And Jaren Jackson with his high volume long range shooting gives a different option again.

We have 5 guys who are all 7 feet or near 7 feet. Three of them are 260+lbs. The two others are 240+lbs (Sheed, JJ Jr). They will be rotated in and out against Shaq. All our big men are two way players. Giving him different defensive looks and more importantly different offensive skill-sets to attack him with that he has to be aware of.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think it would be interesting to see which team could slow down the other's best player (Shaq or Durant) in this series better than the other.

Boston does have a big front line, although Pau is not a physical presence at all.  Can Marc and Sheed limit Shaq?  One great way to limit a post presence like him is to stop the entry pass. I'm not sure if they can, though.  Nash is not likely to offer much resistence there, so can Marc Gasol use his size and smarts to 'front' Shaq in the post? Horford's passing ability from the high post, however, makes that a much more difficult task.  Giving Al the option of feeding Shaq, driving to the rim, or if Boston sends help into the lane, the option of hitting an open Peja or Reggie for three is a marvelous weapon to have.

Utah seems like they will struggle to find defenders to slow Durant from doing whatever he wants.  Jaylen Brown might be their best bet, but that would mean taking one of Reggie or Peja off the court, and losing a fair amount of shooting prowess.  How much has Jaylen defended KD historically, and how has he fared?

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
The Utah Jazz face an uphill battle the Finals facing the #1 regular season team in the league and perhaps the #1 wisest and most eloquent GM in the league.  I get the feeling a lot of posters may have already made up their mind on this one, but I'm glad to hear that some posters will allow me the opportunity to describe my game plan for matching up against Boston before submitting their votes.

For now, I’ll just leave you all with the the team's official starting lineup announcement

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - PJ Tucker
PF - Al Horford
C - Shaq

I’ll be back in a few hours to discuss more.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Utah Jazz face an uphill battle the Finals facing the #1 regular season team in the league and perhaps the #1 wisest and most eloquent GM in the league.  I get the feeling a lot of posters may have already made up their mind on this one, but I'm glad to hear that some posters will allow me the opportunity to describe my game plan for matching up against Boston before submitting their votes.

For now, I’ll just leave you all with the the team's official starting lineup announcement

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - PJ Tucker
PF - Al Horford
C - Shaq

PJ Tucker?

Oh no...

But seriously, I don't think it is a good idea to allow Boston to play 5-4 on defense.  You can pretty much ignore him on offense and send the double team against Shaq. 

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - PJ Tucker
PF - Al Horford
C - Shaq

PJ Tucker?

Oh no...

But seriously, I don't think it is a good idea to allow Boston to play 5-4 on defense.  You can pretty much ignore him on offense and send the double team against Shaq.
And give up a high efficiency corner three :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Btw Action, Thinking Basketball has released a podcast on Reggie, thought it'd be useful to you: https://soundcloud.com/thinkingbasketball/51-klay-vs-miller-vs-allen-great-debates
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Boston in 3.
You mean 0, Nash is going to send that Utah team to the nether without even playing :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA