Author Topic: Chris Mannix thinks NBA season can continue in Vegas sometime in the summer  (Read 15357 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Listening to Chris Mannix on a talk show the other day

He thinks (rumor) if the NBA was to be able to somehow continue the rest of this season , that it can take place in Vegas

Like a mini tournament (without fans)

Players would be tested frequently (new Abbott 15 mins test kits approved).  And players can't wander off anywhere.  Just hotel, games etc

Mannix would propose a 3 week training camp to get the players up to speed

My guess from there is, then run quick small March Madness style tourney between the bottom teams (each conference). Then the top two winners from each conference face the 7th and 8th teams in a best of 2 or 3. Meaning if one team wins two in a row, they move on.  If its tied 1-1, have a third game to decide who moves on.

Once the 1-8 seed is in place.  Keep the same format until conference finals/Finals where it becomes a fixed best of 5.

Some possible roadblocks

* This idea/plan can't work IF players/union do not agree.  Though Mannix thinks thats unlikely since they want to be paid
* IF the Feds/governor/mayor do not allow this, since it would still involve hotel staff, chefs, camera crew, basketball center  workers and other workers
* IF the Feds implement a domestic flight ban
* IF one person test positive and the tournament cant' continue

Thoughts? 

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
A best of 3 series probably wouldn't benefit the top 2 seeds, what are the chances of them losing in the first round if they drop two straight games? Would be bad for money if the NBA sees their strongest darlings lose early.

Best of 5 or 7, "fair" game for everyone. Also, would Vegas have enough facilities for all 30 teams for the regular season?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
You know what, on that note now would probably be a chance for the NBA to try out their tournament style thing they've been talking about. It's obvious that some people will put an asterisk next to whoever wins this season especially if they cancel the regular season and go straight to the playoffs. Might as well try something new and quick. Kind of like a World Cup of the NBA or something.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
A best of 3 series probably wouldn't benefit the top 2 seeds, what are the chances of them losing in the first round if they drop two straight games? Would be bad for money if the NBA sees their strongest darlings lose early.

Best of 5 or 7, "fair" game for everyone. Also, would Vegas have enough facilities for all 30 teams for the regular season?

bro right now you need to throw out anything conventional/traditional thinking out the door

not having fans attend games already means money is lost. They are losing money as we speak

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
You know what, on that note now would probably be a chance for the NBA to try out their tournament style thing they've been talking about. It's obvious that some people will put an asterisk next to whoever wins this season especially if they cancel the regular season and go straight to the playoffs. Might as well try something new and quick. Kind of like a World Cup of the NBA or something.

People are dying for any kind of competitive sport right now

and I think whoever can come up with safe workaround plan, and get it on TV, will gain a bigger audience and new fans who didn't even like the sport before

NBA, NHL doesn't matter

I can see if the NBA can make this fly in Vegas,  the NHL, NFL, MLS etc.  will all be knocking on Vegas door

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Also, would Vegas have enough facilities for all 30 teams for the regular season?

This is a good question. But I doubt they will have all 30 teams there at once

First part of the tourney would be for the bottom teams

Once most are eliminated and 16 teams are left, there should be a way/room for teams to have a timeslot to practice etc.

They are able to do it for Vegas summer league

Again its not ideal and it would be a rush job. But better than nothing.  They would get paid. And a champion would be crowned

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Honestly the nba continuing to push on this right now when a thousand people are dying a day in this country (and will soon be 2k) has crossed the line into being obnoxious

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Honestly the nba continuing to push on this right now when a thousand people are dying a day in this country (and will soon be 2k) has crossed the line into being obnoxious

I agree, however, should we expect them to do anything else? Businesses all around the globe are thinking about how to adjust to the new reality.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
I be shock if any sport is played until September if then..this virus is completely different and not going anywhere anytime soon
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Also, would Vegas have enough facilities for all 30 teams for the regular season?

This is a good question. But I doubt they will have all 30 teams there at once

First part of the tourney would be for the bottom teams

Once most are eliminated and 16 teams are left, there should be a way/room for teams to have a timeslot to practice etc.

They are able to do it for Vegas summer league

Again its not ideal and it would be a rush job. But better than nothing.  They would get paid. And a champion would be crowned
If you don't have fans, you don't need big basketball arenas.  You can play games pretty much anywhere they can fit a regulation court.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

totally agree.  I don't hear other sports acting like this .   Seems the NBA is ....not the players ....is,just obcessed with promotion, lets play ball ...yada yada .   There is no way there is going to be NBA games with fans in attendance for a very long time.   You just can't throw 10 's of 1000 's of people back inside a closed space elbow to elbow without a vaccine.  Not happening . Kiss that TV money good bye and move on already. Fans are a big part of the game and DO effect the outcomes of games as teams ride the emotions of the crowd , especially in playoffs.  Playing without the fans is pointless.  ....for,the playoffs.  It decides nothing.

If they play games this year. it will be a TV only thing   I'm reading it will min of 12 months maybe 18 before world wide quantities of vaccine will be in place.  They might as well take a freak n chill pill .
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:17:18 AM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Not sure what you mean by "push on this"... you mean they shouldn't be, in all the extra time they have right now, thinking about preserving their business which employs thousands of people and thousands more indirectly? They are not holding press conferences or anything. Should nba reporters not report? Not do their jobs?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

totally agree.  I don't hear other sports acting like this .   Seems the NBA is ....not the players ....is,just obcessed with promotion, lets play ball ...yada yada .   There is no way there is going to be NBA games with fans in attendance for a very long time.   You just can't throw 10 's of 1000 's of people back inside a closed space elbow to elbow without a vaccine.  Not happening . Kiss that TV money good bye and move on already. Fans are a big part of the game and DO effect the outcomes of games as teams ride the emotions of the crowd , especially in playoffs.  Playing without the fans is pointless.  ....for,the playoffs.  It decides nothing.

If they play games this year. it will be a TV only thing   I'm reading it will min of 12 months maybe 18 before world wide quantities of vaccine will be in place.  They might as well take a freak n chill pill .
Oh, if the NFL was in season you can rest assured they would be making every effort to get games played as fast as humanly possible. Those guys have zero empathy for human life and suffering. Just look what they did to their retired players for decades, as well as what they did to them in the new CBA. Or how they ignored rampant steroid abuse and concussions in the players. Believe me, the NFL wouldn't be acting any different than the NBA and might have acted worse.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Oh, if the NFL was in season you can rest assured they would be making every effort to get games played as fast as humanly possible. Those guys have zero empathy for human life and suffering. Just look what they did to their retired players for decades, as well as what they did to them in the new CBA. Or how they ignored rampant steroid abuse and concussions in the players. Believe me, the NFL wouldn't be acting any different than the NBA and might have acted worse.

What has the nba done that is so bad?

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What has the nba done that is so bad?
People are just questioning their desire to attempt to get this season in at all costs regardless of the reality in this country right now.

They actually haven't done anything.