Author Topic: embiid declares himself best player in world  (Read 10053 times)

Re: embiid declares himself best player in world
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
whelp we ll see soon who might be the best player Giannis or Embiid . 

I know who I d put my money on  ;D

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
whelp we ll see soon who might be the best player Giannis or Embiid . 

I know who I d put my money on  ;D

We know Embiid doesn't want none of that Giannis's smoke.  8)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Giannis 31/17/8 in 29 minutes, 12-17 from the field.

Embiid 5-18 from the floor, in a game that was over mid-3rd quarter.

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol I was just about to post this too. The so called "best player in the world" went 5-18 tonight and his body language was terrible once things went south for them (no surprise there either).

Crazy as it sounds, I think this is just strengthening the notion that the Sixers may be better off building around Simmons long term. He leaves the game, and the Sixers proceed to get blown out with Embiid playing. Simmons has his flaws but I trust his long term durability a whole lot more than Embiid's.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2020, 02:26:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't think Embiid is particularly close to being the best player in the world right now, the top of the league is unbelievably stacked recently, there are at least 5-7 players having typical MVP-worthy seasons this year imo. My list right now would be this:

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Top 7 are MVP candidates with LeBron and Giannis as the favourites while 8, 9 and 10 are high-end All-NBA players imo (I think guys like Paul George, Khis Middleton and Jimmy Butler are in the mix as well for 8-10, but I have some reservations for all three of them). It's just an incredibly stacked league right now and Embiid is just not very close to being the best player in the world even when he's putting up a typical fringe MVP season.

There aren't 7 MVP candidates, there's 1. It's already Giannis' award unless he misses a ton of time the next 2 months.
Earlier Somebody said "MVP-worthy seasons". I think that's what he was saying. There's 7 possible MVP worthy players based on their seasons.

Somebody is right. Take some of these years and hold them up on their own and they could be worthy of MVP consideration not only this year but in past years. 

But as you said, this year Giannis is the MVP barring something spectacular or disastrous happening.
Yes, that's what I was saying, I usually talk about players based on their calibre of play imo instead of their accolades.

Btw I think LeBron has a real argument as the best player in the world this year, his passing has taken a jump to maintain his offensive value. He's probably not at the level of Cavs LeBron, but even shaving ~20% off of say 2017 LeBron will still give you a player who rivals Giannis imo.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:37:12 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 12:39:48 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Yeah I don't think that he's the best player in the world.

He looks more like number 2.

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
yup ....

Al and Embiid really contained Giannis last night .

::)

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2020, 02:54:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't think Embiid is particularly close to being the best player in the world right now, the top of the league is unbelievably stacked recently, there are at least 5-7 players having typical MVP-worthy seasons this year imo. My list right now would be this:

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Top 7 are MVP candidates with LeBron and Giannis as the favourites while 8, 9 and 10 are high-end All-NBA players imo (I think guys like Paul George, Khis Middleton and Jimmy Butler are in the mix as well for 8-10, but I have some reservations for all three of them). It's just an incredibly stacked league right now and Embiid is just not very close to being the best player in the world even when he's putting up a typical fringe MVP season.

There aren't 7 MVP candidates, there's 1. It's already Giannis' award unless he misses a ton of time the next 2 months.
Earlier Somebody said "MVP-worthy seasons". I think that's what he was saying. There's 7 possible MVP worthy players based on their seasons.

Somebody is right. Take some of these years and hold them up on their own and they could be worthy of MVP consideration not only this year but in past years. 

But as you said, this year Giannis is the MVP barring something spectacular or disastrous happening.
Yes, that's what I was saying, I usually talk about players based on their calibre of play imo instead of their accolades.

Btw I think LeBron has a real argument as the best player in the world this year, his passing has taken a jump to maintain his offensive value. He's probably not at the level of Cavs LeBron, but even shaving ~20% off of say 2017 LeBron will still give you a player who rivals Giannis imo.

Giannis definitely has way less talent around him and his team is doing way better. Not sure how we can say lebron is better when he is playing with another top 5 player...

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Giannis definitely has way less talent around him and his team is doing way better. Not sure how we can say lebron is better when he is playing with another top 5 player...
Floor raising isn't the only thing you evaluate when you make an assessment of a player's quality though. And I don't necessarily agree with Giannis having way less talent around him, he has two players who're fringe All-Stars (top 50 players) in Eric Bledsoe and Brook Lopez as his support outside of his sidekick while LeBron pretty much only has Davis as a "star" teammate, their supporting casts are quite similar in quality imo (Giannis has a worse sidekick, but he has better third and fourth options to make up for it).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2020, 02:56:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Great to see Embiid is the best player in the world again against the Hawks!  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Pierce did this a bunch too. Nothing wrong with an all-star/all-nba level player thinking this.