Author Topic: embiid declares himself best player in world  (Read 10055 times)

Re: embiid declares himself best player in world
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 12:37:21 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Theis putting up Embiid level numbers tonight: 25-16.

Daniel Theis is the best player in the world, back off Embiid.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 04:12:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't think Embiid is particularly close to being the best player in the world right now, the top of the league is unbelievably stacked recently, there are at least 5-7 players having typical MVP-worthy seasons this year imo. My list right now would be this:

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Top 7 are MVP candidates with LeBron and Giannis as the favourites while 8, 9 and 10 are high-end All-NBA players imo (I think guys like Paul George, Khis Middleton and Jimmy Butler are in the mix as well for 8-10, but I have some reservations for all three of them). It's just an incredibly stacked league right now and Embiid is just not very close to being the best player in the world even when he's putting up a typical fringe MVP season.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 07:12:04 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
His best is as dominant as the best in the league the problem however, is health and consistency. It doesn't matter if you show it in pockets, it needs to be an every day thing.
Very true. Usually to be considered the best you have got to be able to bring it everyday and want to bring it everyday, every game. Not play 3 out of every four games and bring it in just 7 out of every 8 games you do play in.
You mean like Kawhi? :P
Sure. I guess, though I personally have never considered Kawhi the league's best player.
In any case, Kawhi isn't exactly an ironman, yet many fans consider him the best player in the league.

Embiid started playing in 2016-2017. Since then, he has played 13 more regular season games than Kawhi. Since 2017-2018 (the last 3 seasons), Embiid has played 56 more regular season games than Kawhi!
If Embiid had carried the Sixers to a title last year, people probably would rank him above Kawhi. He didn’t. KL’s per-game numbers in last years run: 39mins, 30.5 pts 9.1 rebs 3.9 assists. 61.9% TS. He also played a little defense.

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't think Embiid is particularly close to being the best player in the world right now, the top of the league is unbelievably stacked recently, there are at least 5-7 players having typical MVP-worthy seasons this year imo. My list right now would be this:

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Top 7 are MVP candidates with LeBron and Giannis as the favourites while 8, 9 and 10 are high-end All-NBA players imo (I think guys like Paul George, Khis Middleton and Jimmy Butler are in the mix as well for 8-10, but I have some reservations for all three of them). It's just an incredibly stacked league right now and Embiid is just not very close to being the best player in the world even when he's putting up a typical fringe MVP season.
Then Curry & Durant return next year! Super stacked year, and quite a diverse spread across the league.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 08:06:45 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
His best is as dominant as the best in the league the problem however, is health and consistency. It doesn't matter if you show it in pockets, it needs to be an every day thing.
Very true. Usually to be considered the best you have got to be able to bring it everyday and want to bring it everyday, every game. Not play 3 out of every four games and bring it in just 7 out of every 8 games you do play in.
You mean like Kawhi? :P
Sure. I guess, though I personally have never considered Kawhi the league's best player.
In any case, Kawhi isn't exactly an ironman, yet many fans consider him the best player in the league.

Embiid started playing in 2016-2017. Since then, he has played 13 more regular season games than Kawhi. Since 2017-2018 (the last 3 seasons), Embiid has played 56 more regular season games than Kawhi!
If Embiid had carried the Sixers to a title last year, people probably would rank him above Kawhi. He didn’t. KL’s per-game numbers in last years run: 39mins, 30.5 pts 9.1 rebs 3.9 assists. 61.9% TS. He also played a little defense.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Kawhi's game. I'd probably take him over LeBron and Giannis as the best player in the league. My point is that you don't necessarily "have to bring it everyday" (like nickagneta and ausbacker suggested) in order to be considered the best player in the league. Kawhi is the epitome of this.

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Embiid is amusing because he is not very smart and will type anything.  He is not even the best player in his conference, let alone league or world.

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I expect every top 10 (or so) player to realistically believe they are the best player in the world.

He is not, but I'd be surprised if any of those guys didn't think that way.

For right now (excluding the injured players) I'd have him at 8th

1. Giannis
2. Lebron
3. Harden
4. Kawhi
5. Davis
6. Doncic
7. Jokic
8. Embiid
9. Butler
10. George

Durant and Curry are both better than Embiid if they return to health, so that would potentially drop him back 2 spots.  If he could stay healthier, I'd probably have him ahead of Jokic and maybe Doncic (though that might only be for this year).  Be hard to have him higher than Davis.

This is pretty good. But I'd have Lillard in there at 7 or 8 before Embiid.

By next year would not be surprised to to see Tatum leap frog ahead of Embiid.

In two years, add Morant.  And Zion.

Center spot is dropping like a rock in today's NBA.
I don't think Lillard has been good enough on defense to really move into the top 10 and the Blazers have been a tremendous disappointment overall.  Lillard can't skate on that (which really sets him apart from someone like Harden who is similar in many ways).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
If Kawhi Leonard leads the Clippers to their first title this year and has another dominant post season run is he considered one of the greatest of all time?

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2020, 12:14:18 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Kawhi would be in Top 20 all-time with another win, maybe Top-15. He might be Top-20 now, but for me at least, he needs to sustain that level over a longer period of time. Another 3-5 years and one more championship to get into the Top-10.

If you’re talking 1-3, then absolutely not. He’s had amazing talent and coaching around him for most of his career, and he hasn’t done it for a sustained period yet. Most of the guys ahead of him were elite for over a decade, Kawhi has only been elite for 3-5 years.

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Kawhi Leonard leads the Clippers to their first title this year and has another dominant post season run is he considered one of the greatest of all time?

Kawhi would have to do more than that to be considered one of the greatest of all-time.  His early career numbers are very pedestrian, and was mostly a role player his first handful of years in the league.  His career arc is definitely not the norm for superstars.

That aside, there isn't another player I'd rather have on my team right now.  He isn't the most valuable regular season player, due to his needs for rest, but I trust him to bring the goods in the playoffs more than any other player currently.

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2020, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Then Curry & Durant return next year! Super stacked year, and quite a diverse spread across the league.

Im not scared. We've got Theis!

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2020, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Yeah it's insane. If all of those guys remain at an MVP level and we get huge leaps from some budding stars like Zion and Trae, we might be looking at 10 players with MVP-worthy seasons (obviously there's a difference between the quality of those MVP seasons, but having 10 guys putting up such seasons would be unprecedented).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2020, 01:47:14 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

There aren't 7 MVP candidates, there's 1. It's already Giannis' award unless he misses a ton of time the next 2 months.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

There aren't 7 MVP candidates, there's 1. It's already Giannis' award unless he misses a ton of time the next 2 months.
Earlier Somebody said "MVP-worthy seasons". I think that's what he was saying. There's 7 possible MVP worthy players based on their seasons.

Somebody is right. Take some of these years and hold them up on their own and they could be worthy of MVP consideration not only this year but in past years. 

But as you said, this year Giannis is the MVP barring something spectacular or disastrous happening.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

1. LeBron James
2. Giannis Antetokoumnpo
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Anthony Davis
5. James Harden
6. Luka Doncic
7. Joel Embiid
8. Nikola Jokic
9. Damian Lillard
10. Rudy Gobert

Earlier Somebody said "MVP-worthy seasons". I think that's what he was saying. There's 7 possible MVP worthy players based on their seasons.

Somebody is right. Take some of these years and hold them up on their own and they could be worthy of MVP consideration not only this year but in past years. 

But as you said, this year Giannis is the MVP barring something spectacular or disastrous happening.
Don't get me wrong, I think Giannis will and should win, but I don't think he is a runaway either.  I believe Lebron isn't that far behind him nor Harden.  I mean Harden has Young cleared by over 5 ppg and Lebron is leading the league in assists by 1.5 a game (also over Young which says something in and of itself).  The Lakers, in particular, have an excellent record, second only to the Bucks and Lebron has only missed 2 games (to Giannis' 6).  Thus the last couple of months could lead to Lebron or Harden overtaking Giannis (at least it is possible).  Again I don't think they will, but I just don't think it is a foregone conclusion either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip