Author Topic: What are everyone's ideas for the PF/C spot?  (Read 9148 times)

Re: What are everyone's ideas for the PF/C spot?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If we can swing a trade to bring in a scorer (rather then trying to do so with cap space), then I'd be pretty happy to use some of our cap space to give Nerlens Noel a shot.

I know he isn't "fireworks", but we got utterly destroyed on the boards by Chicago, Washington and Cleveland - and we somehow got routinely schooled on offence buy mediocre big men like Robin Lopez, Marcus Morris and Tristan Thompson.

We desperately need a big man who can rebound, and who has the height/length/athleticism to contest shots in the paint so that we don't continue to get our butts handed to us by guys who normally are non-threats on offence.

Noel can give us that, and I do feel confident (especially after his lack of playing time last season) that we'd be able to pick him up for a fairly reasonable price.  He seems like a pretty competitive, high motor kid and at his age he still has a ton of upside.  I feel like he could really thrive here in a Tyson Chandler in Dallas  / Andrew Bogut in GS type role as our rebounder and defensive anchor. 

Plus he is young enough that he could potentially form part of our young nucleus (along with Fultz, Smart, Brown, 2018 1st) moving forward. 

I know not everybody will love the idea because many people are going to want offensive minded guys who can shoot threes (sigh) but teams need to be balanced, and you can't win a championship just by having a million undersized bigs shooting threes. 

Golden State have Zaza Pachulia (and had Bogut before that), Cleveleand have Tristan Thompson - neither of those guys can shoot a three to save their lives, but their ability to control the paint (either with rebounding, defence or both) is key to their team's success.

Plus having a floor stretchers like Horford and Olynyk I think makes Noel's lack of outside shot a bit of a moot point.