Author Topic: Rockets (37-25) at Celtics (38-25) Game #64 3/3/19  (Read 43473 times)

Re: Rockets (37-25) at Celtics (38-25) Game #64 3/3/19
« Reply #735 on: March 03, 2019, 11:56:18 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
In the offseason last year, I had the nagging feeling that our run had less to do with us and more to do with the sorry state of the ECF.  We struggled past a Milwaukee team with no coach, beat a Sixers team that wasn't ready yet, and lost in the ECF to a very weak Cleveland team. 

I shrugged it off because I thought there were too many things pointing in our favor.  Kyrie is really good.  Al and Smart are two of the better glue guys in the league.  I thought that of the Tatum/Brown/Hayward trio, at least one of them would prove ready to be our #2 option.  And Rozier appeared to be breaking out and would surely compete for 6MOTY this season.  So what if we overachieved a bit last season?  We were stacked.

But in reality, almost none of this has panned out.  Kyrie is good, and while Horford battled injuries and is starting to show his age a bit on defense, he's still usually good too.  Smart has generally been good.  But Rozier has turned back into a pumpkin.  Morris, after a torrid start to the season that got him inserted into the starting lineup, has turned back into a pumpkin.  Baynes can't stay on the court.  Tatum hasn't improved.  Hayward doesn't even look like an NBA player half the time, let alone a #2 option.  And while Brown has been good lately, he's still very streaky and prone to careless plays and disappearances.  I don't think he's really suited to being Kyrie's costar and a primary offensive option. I think he's much better suited to running amok in those stretches where the game gets chaotic. 

Stevens isn't blameless for this mess, but I think our issues are on the backs of the players much more than the coaching.  Some of these guys are struggling... some of these guys aren't progressing as quickly as we want... some of these guys just aren't as good as we hoped.  I agree with Nick overall.  I still think Stevens is a very good coach, and I think firing him would be a big mistake. 

« Reply #736 on: March 04, 2019, 12:10:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The defensive intensity they displayed in the 4th quarter is how they should be attacking every game.

What good is this depth, if starters and reserves are playing at less than 100% intensity for the majority of the game?

This team has solid Individual players, but when we're on a run, it's as if it's one player making the run without it being contagious; but when we're cold, we're cold. We're also coasting until the 4th quarter and only playing hard when playing from behind. It's on the players and coaching staff to light the fire under these players to get them to expend energy or stay on the bench. Full court press from the tip.

This was how they were defending in the 1st half:

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1102321384477417472

No surprise we ended up down by 20+. This team has some horrible defensive lapses.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #737 on: March 04, 2019, 12:16:21 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The defensive intensity they displayed in the 4th quarter is how they should be attacking every game.

What good is this depth, if starters and reserves are playing at less than 100% intensity for the majority of the game?

This team has solid Individual players, but when we're on a run, it's as if it's one player making the run without it being contagious; but when we're cold, we're cold. We're also coasting until the 4th quarter and only playing hard when playing from behind. It's on the players and coaching staff to light the fire under these players to get them to expend energy or stay on the bench. Full court press from the tip.

No surprise we ended up down by 20+. This team has some horrible defensive lapses.

That was a perfect example of Tatum not playing any help def.  Maybe he is told not to help in that kind of situation? (I doubt it, but maybe?)  It just looks so freaking bad when he is 3 feet away from Harden and just watches him go to the rim.

We know he can play better def, he did almost all last year.  Tatum's lack of 2 way play has been one of the biggest disappointments to me this year.

« Reply #738 on: March 04, 2019, 12:25:21 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

So hard to understand. These guys knew how to play defense last year - heck, the first part of this year.

« Reply #739 on: March 04, 2019, 12:29:32 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

So hard to understand. These guys knew how to play defense last year - heck, the first part of this year.

I mean does it just come down to plain old effort?

« Reply #740 on: March 04, 2019, 01:21:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I mean does it just come down to plain old effort?

That, and lack of communication, and not covering for each other, and not being on the same page. I guess the frustrations of the season and the pressure of expectations are taking its toll.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #741 on: March 04, 2019, 01:53:49 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That was a perfect example of Tatum not playing any help def.  Maybe he is told not to help in that kind of situation? (I doubt it, but maybe?)  It just looks so freaking bad when he is 3 feet away from Harden and just watches him go to the rim.

We know he can play better def, he did almost all last year.  Tatum's lack of 2 way play has been one of the biggest disappointments to me this year.
Tatum was probably dumbfounded by how bad Smart's defense was on that play. 

« Reply #742 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brad is going nowhere. He is a great coach.

Instead of thinking that the Celtics suck because Stevens can't get these guys to perform, think how bad a season it would be if we had a bad coach.

How bad is this team if Lue is coaching it?
 Or Scott Brooks? Or Alvin Gentry? Or Boylen? Or Drew? Or Borrego? Or any number of other coaches currently in the league or out?

With another coach, who knows how bad this team could have been this year.

Yeah, I don't think we can call him a great coach.

He isn't a bad coach, but he's certainly got a lot to prove towards being great.  Getting a team of underdogs to over-achieve is nice and all, but great coaches are made by getting big egos and big talent to come together for one goal (championship).  Right now he's failing miserably at the latter.

Yeah, just because the team has struggled to reach the ridiculous expectations of its fans this year, a year that isn't even over yet, I am not going to stop thinking him a great coach. If this team goes to the ECF or Finals, no one is going to care about the struggles of being 10-10 or winning 3 of their last 10 games. I see most of what is going wrong with this team is in the heads of the players not with how they are being coached.

This seems like revisionist history. I don't remember what your particular expectations were, but I don't recall anyone, at the beginning of the season, saying anything other than "this team is going to the Eastern Conference Finals, at least." I feel like it's only recently, after Boston's season-long struggles, that some people are saying fans' expectations were off-base or unreasonable.
My expectations were 50+ wins and either the ECFs or Finals. That is still possible.

But if you think that there wasn't a very large segment of fans on this site that were certain of 63-65 wins and a trip to the Finals at a very minimum of what this team could do, you would be wrong.

« Reply #743 on: March 04, 2019, 10:51:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Instead of thinking that the Celtics suck because Stevens can't get these guys to perform, think how bad a season it would be if we had a bad coach.

Or Scott Brooks? Or Alvin Gentry? Or Boylen? Or Drew? Or Borrego? Or any number of other coaches currently in the league or out?

Just curious....what gives you the impression that Brad Stevens is a "great coach"? Do you have any data or stats that prove that he is a "great coach." Or is that just your opinion?

Because I tend to agree with KG's Knee. I think he's an okay coach who could probably be getting alot more out of his players.
When I look at someone like either Tatum, Brown or Rozier, I see three guys with talent but alot of times make bad decisions on the court (no defense, taking ill-advised shots, bad passes, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc.)

Don't you think as a coach, either Brad or one of his assistants could or should pull these guys aside and say "hey, this is what you should be doing to be a better player"?

Also, I see ALOT of standing around on both ends of the floor with no one coming to help on offense or defense

Again, shouldn't the coach step in and say "hey guys, stop settling with taking 3s, help more on defense, switch out on offense, etc."

I think Stevens could and should be getting alot more from his players. Great coach? I personally don't think so.

« Reply #744 on: March 04, 2019, 10:57:41 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Just curious....what gives you the impression that Brad Stevens is a "great coach"? Do you have any data or stats that prove that he is a "great coach." Or is that just your opinion?

Because I tend to agree with KG's Knee. I think he's an okay coach who could probably be getting alot more out of his players.
When I look at someone like either Tatum, Brown or Rozier, I see three guys with talent but alot of times make bad decisions on the court (no defense, taking ill-advised shots, bad passes, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc.)

Don't you think as a coach, either Brad or one of his assistants could or should pull these guys aside and say "hey, this is what you should be doing to be a better player"?

Also, I see ALOT of standing around on both ends of the floor with no one coming to help on offense or defense

Again, shouldn't the coach step in and say "hey guys, stop settling with taking 3s, help more on defense, switch out on offense, etc."

I think Stevens could and should be getting alot more from his players. Great coach? I personally don't think so.

Brad Stevens philosophy- just shoot 3's all night long, do not score in the paint or attack the rim, and do not get rebounds.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #745 on: March 04, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Brad Stevens philosophy- just shoot 3's all night long, do not score in the paint or attack the rim, and do not get rebounds.

Lol...give me a clipboard and I can do the same thing.

« Reply #746 on: March 04, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well, you don't have take my word on it, take a concensus from current NBA GMs, you know, people who know their basketball coaches

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/10/03/brad-stevens-celtics-nba-best-coach-gm-survey/

And, sorry if this sounds disrespectful, but your take on what constitutes NBA coaching is ridiculously simplistic.

Guys don't do things the way the coach wants them and just because a camera and a mike isn't around filming it for you see or hear, you assume Stevens doesn't tell these guys to do things differently? Really? You think he just watches it happens and doesn't mention anything to the player just because you don't see him acting like some unprofessional high school coach screaming at his players when the mess up?

Also, the standing around on offense is Brad's offense. He prefers a 2 or 3 man game putting players in the corner waiting for the opportunity to get the ball for the easiest three point shot there is to shoot, the corner three. Those players are doing exactly what they are being told to do.

And on the defensive side the Celtics philosophy is for the weakside defender to cheat off his man to be positioned closer to the paint and watch the passing lanes for steals. Standing there watching the ball is, again, what they are supposed to do.

As for stats, what do you want.

He coached Butler to two NCAA Finals appearances at a mid level D1 school.

He has won more games every year he has been in the NBA. Coming in at the start of a rebuild, he managed to coach a team that had, due to Trader Danny, 23 different players on it's team, into the playoffs when they were tanking.

He has only not been in the playoffs his rookie NBA year.

In six years he has only had a superstar, and then only one, on 3 teams and yet has a .577 winning percentage.

You add that to his tremendous BBIQ, his great defensive system that has been a top 5 defense in the league 3 of his 6 years, his calm professional demeanor, his ability to develop youth, etc.

The man is a great coach. 99% of this board thought so just a few months ago. So it hasn't been his usual great year, but that's not all on him and every great coach has a challenging year or three.

Heck, even when Popovich had all three of Duncan, Manu and Parker together and a great supporting cast, he still didn't win it all every year. Pops had one or two trying seasons and a bunch of playoff failures. None of that stops Pops from being a great coach.

« Reply #747 on: March 05, 2019, 12:18:50 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

He isn't a bad coach, but he's certainly got a lot to prove towards being great.  Getting a team of underdogs to over-achieve is nice and all, but great coaches are made by getting big egos and big talent to come together for one goal (championship).  Right now he's failing miserably at the latter.

Yeah, just because the team has struggled to reach the ridiculous expectations of its fans this year, a year that isn't even over yet, I am not going to stop thinking him a great coach. If this team goes to the ECF or Finals, no one is going to care about the struggles of being 10-10 or winning 3 of their last 10 games. I see most of what is going wrong with this team is in the heads of the players not with how they are being coached.

This seems like revisionist history. I don't remember what your particular expectations were, but I don't recall anyone, at the beginning of the season, saying anything other than "this team is going to the Eastern Conference Finals, at least." I feel like it's only recently, after Boston's season-long struggles, that some people are saying fans' expectations were off-base or unreasonable.
My expectations were 50+ wins and either the ECFs or Finals. That is still possible.

But if you think that there wasn't a very large segment of fans on this site that were certain of 63-65 wins and a trip to the Finals at a very minimum of what this team could do, you would be wrong.

You may have misunderstood me. This is exactly what I thought—I believed that's what would happen with the Cs, and I think most other Celtics fans expected roughly the same. And I don't think it was ridiculous for me or others to expect that, based on last year's playoffs and the return of Kyrie and Hayward.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #748 on: March 05, 2019, 12:58:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You may have misunderstood me. This is exactly what I thought—I believed that's what would happen with the Cs, and I think most other Celtics fans expected roughly the same. And I don't think it was ridiculous for me or others to expect that, based on last year's playoffs and the return of Kyrie and Hayward.
Sorry but I think that's pretty ridiculous expectations. An 8-10 win increase when you are starting at 55 wins is a LOT, especially when all the team did is bring back an extremely injured Hayward. Everyone knew Hayward had a second surgery and that the surgery set him back two months or more. Everyone knew there was an extremely good chance he would struggle, and he has. And the expectations were based on the unlikely, best case scenario, of three very young men developing immensely while simultaneously curtailing their games to fit a role.

You see, I am not a believer that youth wins games, even more so in the playoffs so I didn't see the guarantee of Brown, Rozier and Tatum taking major or massive steps forward helping to lead this team to a win total reminiscent of either of Boston's Big Threes(Bird, McHale, Chief as well as KG, Pierce and Allen).

« Reply #749 on: March 05, 2019, 11:06:50 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Sorry but I think that's pretty ridiculous expectations. An 8-10 win increase when you are starting at 55 wins is a LOT, especially when all the team did is bring back an extremely injured Hayward. Everyone knew Hayward had a second surgery and that the surgery set him back two months or more. Everyone knew there was an extremely good chance he would struggle, and he has. And the expectations were based on the unlikely, best case scenario, of three very young men developing immensely while simultaneously curtailing their games to fit a role.

You see, I am not a believer that youth wins games, even more so in the playoffs so I didn't see the guarantee of Brown, Rozier and Tatum taking major or massive steps forward helping to lead this team to a win total reminiscent of either of Boston's Big Threes(Bird, McHale, Chief as well as KG, Pierce and Allen).

That's fine; nothing wrong with how you expected things to shake out. In retrospect, I think you're right in saying that expecting 63-65 wins was expecting too much, but I do think that's what the majority of fans were thinking, and I also think they could've fallen short of that goal but still come much closer to it than they will—going by their current win %, they're on pace for 48-49 wins, though they could easily end up with fewer if they keep playing as they have been recently, meaning they could end up with 15+ fewer wins than what many expected, which is a huge difference.

But, as you say, the season isn't over, so we'll see.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis