Author Topic: Rockets (37-25) at Celtics (38-25) Game #64 3/3/19  (Read 43764 times)

Re: Rockets (37-25) at Celtics (38-25) Game #64 3/3/19
« Reply #720 on: March 03, 2019, 07:55:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Tatum doesn't like to pass.  :(

Bass was his idol  ;D

« Reply #721 on: March 03, 2019, 08:06:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This team is reminding me of the 2003 Indiana Pacers lately.

A hugely talented deep team with several young players.

C: Brad Miller, Jeff Foster
PF: Jermaine O'Neal, Al Harrington, Austin Croshere
SF: Ron Artest, Jonathon Bender
SG: Reggie Miller, Ron Mercer, Fred Jones
PG: Jamaal Tinsley, Erick Strickland

They were one of the favourites to win the East. Most talented team in the East in my opinion. Should have won the East that year instead of the New Jersey Nets.

Started the year like gangbusters with 37 wins and 15 losses. Then fell apart and finished the season with 11 wins and 19 losses. Lost in the first round to our Boston Celtics.

Team completely unraveled and their coach (Isiah Thomas) could do nothing to stop it. Bird fired Isiah and replaced him with Carlisle. A strict disciplinarian to restore order after Isiah's soft player-friendly touch failed to get their attention - despite Isiah doing a very good up until that point (developing their youth and building a promising team).

Anyways,

This Celtics team is reminding me of that Pacers team lately. So is the Brad Stevens situation.
Jeesh, the likeness is very real. Wonder if Brad will get the boot like Isiah did.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #722 on: March 03, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not on the hate Kyrie bus, but when Brad brought him back in the air completely went out of our comeback.
Right when Rozier missed 3 free throws in a row?

No right when Kyrie got abused by harden 2 or 3 times in a row.  Yes the  missed fits by Rozier didn’t help.  But Rozier was way better than Kyrie on D during our comeback.
Harden was hitting those shots over anyone. Calling a 3-step step-back 3 "abusing" a guy is laughable.

If anything, Brad's stupid switching on the perimeter caused that.

Kyrie’s Def today was pathetic.

it was so bad ... what is wrong with him?

All I see him doing is, directing Tatum and Rozier to go there and here on defense

Irving:  Rozier keep an eye on him!! even though you are, listen to me!  While I occupy this empty space ...... 

« Reply #723 on: March 03, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brad is going nowhere. He is a great coach.

Instead of thinking that the Celtics suck because Stevens can't get these guys to perform, think how bad a season it would be if we had a bad coach.

How bad is this team if Lue is coaching it?
 Or Scott Brooks? Or Alvin Gentry? Or Boylen? Or Drew? Or Borrego? Or any number of other coaches currently in the league or out?

With another coach, who knows how bad this team could have been this year.

« Reply #724 on: March 03, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I am not on the hate Kyrie bus, but when Brad brought him back in the air completely went out of our comeback.

No right when Kyrie got abused by harden 2 or 3 times in a row.  Yes the  missed fits by Rozier didn’t help.  But Rozier was way better than Kyrie on D during our comeback.
Harden was hitting those shots over anyone. Calling a 3-step step-back 3 "abusing" a guy is laughable.

All I see him doing is, directing Tatum and Rozier to go there and here on defense

Irving:  Rozier keep an eye on him!! even though you are, listen to me!  While I occupy this empty space ......

Your blind Kyrie hatred is getting frustrating to read. Did you not see how badly other guys struggled today? Rozier missing 3 free throws...Baynes shooting air balls....Tatum missing wide open lay-ups. C'mon man!

« Reply #725 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Your blind Kyrie hatred is getting frustrating to read. Did you not see how badly other guys struggled today? Rozier missing 3 free throws...Baynes shooting air balls....Tatum missing wide open lay-ups. C'mon man!
I'm getting close to completely giving up on engaging. Just nonsensical
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #726 on: March 03, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I'm getting close to completely giving up on engaging. Just nonsensical

was the 10-0 run without Irving nonsensical?

« Reply #727 on: March 03, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Instead of thinking that the Celtics suck because Stevens can't get these guys to perform, think how bad a season it would be if we had a bad coach.

Or Scott Brooks? Or Alvin Gentry? Or Boylen? Or Drew? Or Borrego? Or any number of other coaches currently in the league or out?

Yeah, I don't think we can call him a great coach.

He isn't a bad coach, but he's certainly got a lot to prove towards being great.  Getting a team of underdogs to over-achieve is nice and all, but great coaches are made by getting big egos and big talent to come together for one goal (championship).  Right now he's failing miserably at the latter.

« Reply #728 on: March 03, 2019, 08:54:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

He isn't a bad coach, but he's certainly got a lot to prove towards being great.  Getting a team of underdogs to over-achieve is nice and all, but great coaches are made by getting big egos and big talent to come together for one goal (championship).  Right now he's failing miserably at the latter.
Yeah, just because the team has struggled to reach the ridiculous expectations of its fans this year, a year that isn't even over yet, I am not going to stop thinking him a great coach. If this team goes to the ECF or Finals, no one is going to care about the struggles of being 10-10 or winning 3 of their last 10 games. I see most of what is going wrong with this team is in the heads of the players not with how they are being coached.

« Reply #729 on: March 03, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, just because the team has struggled to reach the ridiculous expectations of its fans this year, a year that isn't even over yet, I am not going to stop thinking him a great coach. If this team goes to the ECF or Finals, no one is going to care about the struggles of being 10-10 or winning 3 of their last 10 games. I see most of what is going wrong with this team is in the heads of the players not with how they are being coached.

Well, with all due respect, Nick, I think you're simply wrong here.

Brad hasn't earned that kind of praise yet in my book.

« Reply #730 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Brad Stevens is good with rebuilding teams.

Give him a team full of All-Stars and actual talents, and you got yourself a problem.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #731 on: March 03, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

You do understand that not winning enough games means they do not win enough games, correct?  So why is this going to change in the playoffs?

« Reply #732 on: March 03, 2019, 09:28:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Well, with all due respect, Nick, I think you're simply wrong here.

Brad hasn't earned that kind of praise yet in my book.
I likewise think you are wrong. I mean, in Stevens worse "coaching" season his 50+ win team "struggled". Just a few months ago the 30 NBA GM's voted Steven's as the league's best coach. NBA GMs. Not writers. Not talking heads.  Not fans.

NBA GMs said Stevens was the best coach in the league. Just months ago. The guy is a great coach.

« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The defensive intensity they displayed in the 4th quarter is how they should be attacking every game.

What good is this depth, if starters and reserves are playing at less than 100% intensity for the majority of the game?

This team has solid Individual players, but when we're on a run, it's as if it's one player making the run without it being contagious; but when we're cold, we're cold. We're also coasting until the 4th quarter and only playing hard when playing from behind. It's on the players and coaching staff to light the fire under these players to get them to expend energy or stay on the bench. Full court press from the tip.

« Reply #734 on: March 03, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

This seems like revisionist history. I don't remember what your particular expectations were, but I don't recall anyone, at the beginning of the season, saying anything other than "this team is going to the Eastern Conference Finals, at least." I feel like it's only recently, after Boston's season-long struggles, that some people are saying fans' expectations were off-base or unreasonable.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis