Author Topic: Embarrassed by this forum right now  (Read 5627 times)

Re: Embarrassed by this forum right now
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have been on Celtics blog since it started and I think today is probably the most embarrassed I have been on this forum. We have an in his prime all star that has been a contributing member of the Boston community, has never been involved in any crime or morally questionable behaviors from what I have heard and has been involved in some nice civic causes. Yet, if you come to this forum right now it is like the guy slept with a bunch of our wives. People are calling him a jerk and say they want him gone. For what exactly?

This is how we get a reputation as a crappy fanbase from outsiders. Do you think half the threads on liberty ballers are calling Embid a jerk and saying the 76ers should trade him if he complains about his touches? Do people think that future NBA stars that may have a chance to come play for Boston are going to be intrigued by
the fans calling hayward awful for coming off a gruesome injury and for Irving to be traded because he doesn't say exactly what we want him to say at the exact time? If I was a free agent to be or considering playing for Boston I would see this stuff (we are the most prominent fan site there is probably) and it is flat out embarrassing to represent ourselves this way. I would take a step back and think about all that.

Well said.

Maybe this is why Davis doesn't want to come here. He knows if he sprains his ankle he'll be lambasted on here for dogging it.

yea I don't necessarily think these are top level factors, but it certainly doesn't help.

I’m not sure that NY or LA fans are better in that regard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 06:04:18 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Again no one in the real world gives a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. about what we say here nor do they make decisions based on our opinions.  Some of you need to get out a bit and realize the Celtics nor the entire fan base revolve around what we think. This is a place to vent, cheer, complain, inform, commune, etc.  no where and no one is making any executive decisions for the organization or changing the culture of a world wide fanbase.  So get over it  :-*

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Every fan base is like this. Spend some time on other team's fan sites and you will see this is the case.

This is all normal.

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Some Celtic fans simply don't like Kyrie, for whatever reason.

This is what it is. And it's ok, not everyone has to like everyone, that's the whole point of cheering for teams/players. Some you like some you don't. The trick is identifying those whose minds are already made up and realizing any attempt to change it is futile and will be an exercise in frustration  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
He’s obviously annoyed with the media pulling him into the AD trade. He literally says it when someone asks him what changed between now and when he said he would resign. “Obviously this has become an entertainment thing for everybody.” He’s just done with the bull****. This interview was one big F you to the media. Anyone who reads anything else into this are, sorry to say, the suckers that the media preys on to sell a story. If i were Kyrie I would have said basically the exact same thing. This entire thing is exactly what fake news is. They don’t report facts anymore just a bunch of opinions and it doesn’t matter who they hurt as long as they turn a profit.

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 07:30:57 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I have been on Celtics blog since it started and I think today is probably the most embarrassed I have been on this forum. We have an in his prime all star that has been a contributing member of the Boston community, has never been involved in any crime or morally questionable behaviors from what I have heard and has been involved in some nice civic causes. Yet, if you come to this forum right now it is like the guy slept with a bunch of our wives. People are calling him a jerk and say they want him gone. For what exactly?

This is how we get a reputation as a crappy fanbase from outsiders. Do you think half the threads on liberty ballers are calling Embid a jerk and saying the 76ers should trade him if he complains about his touches? Do people think that future NBA stars that may have a chance to come play for Boston are going to be intrigued by
the fans calling hayward awful for coming off a gruesome injury and for Irving to be traded because he doesn't say exactly what we want him to say at the exact time? If I was a free agent to be or considering playing for Boston I would see this stuff (we are the most prominent fan site there is probably) and it is flat out embarrassing to represent ourselves this way. I would take a step back and think about all that.

I agree..toxic times a thousand. I am having trouble wanting to come here like I did for many, many years. TP for the post.

I think a few trolls are also enjoying their time here far too much as well. I have yet to post on an enemy fan board to try and get a rise out of people. It is the Lowest form of class someone can show in the fan sports world.

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He’s obviously annoyed with the media pulling him into the AD trade. He literally says it when someone asks him what changed between now and when he said he would resign. “Obviously this has become an entertainment thing for everybody.” He’s just done with the bull****. This interview was one big F you to the media. Anyone who reads anything else into this are, sorry to say, the suckers that the media preys on to sell a story. If i were Kyrie I would have said basically the exact same thing. This entire thing is exactly what fake news is. They don’t report facts anymore just a bunch of opinions and it doesn’t matter who they hurt as long as they turn a profit.
TP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I agree, but how he gave them the F U created a lot more headache and questions.  He just as easily could have told them to F Off by saying something like, I told you what I felt in October and nothing has changed, so quit asking.  Or a thousand variations of that, but trying to be cute, he created the current firestorm.  A lot of that is quite simply that Irving is an odd duck.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I get why fans overreact to stuff like this.  Sports tends to be reactionary.

I get more frustrated by the dozen or so posters who have a constant axe to grind or agenda to push. They treat talking about sports like reciting talking points for their favored political party, more than happy to misrepresent the truth to push their view on others.

But the temporary stuff like today passes, hopefully disappearing  a couple weeks after a Finals appearance.

Roy - I don't think having an opinion on a player's impact on a team - by his play, playing style and his effect on team morale within the locker room - is having a blind axe to grind or having an agenda to push, unless that agenda is what is best for the Boston Celtics.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2019, 09:19:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I disagree with the OP. The fans pay for all the multi-billions the league owners and players make. Every single dime is paid for by the fans. I think that gives the fans the right to express their feelings about the product they pay for. So you have to listen to fans expressing their opinion about your conduct? That is a little price to pay for the billions of dollars in revenue that you make from the fans.

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 09:58:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think the adage "you don't know what you have until its gone" applies to those anxious fans who can't stay in the present.

It kind of reminds me of those Patriots fans that wanted to trade Brady and keep Jimmy G.

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I disagree with the OP. The fans pay for all the multi-billions the league owners and players make. Every single dime is paid for by the fans. I think that gives the fans the right to express their feelings about the product they pay for. So you have to listen to fans expressing their opinion about your conduct? That is a little price to pay for the billions of dollars in revenue that you make from the fans.

1. I don't think anyone thinks or has said that fans shouldn't express their feelings. It's a question of whether or not the opinions being expressed are thoughtful and informed or just emotional and reactionary.

2. I don't buy the "the fans pay your salary so you owe it to the fans" stuff. If I pay for a ticket to a basketball game, that entitles me to watch a basketball game. That's all. I will have my opinions and I will express those opinions how I want but the players and management don't have to give a crap about anything I think and probably shouldn't.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Agreed!!

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 11:47:54 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

You're making a different argument. The OP is stating we should appreciate the talent we have in Kyrie Irving. You're saying we should express displeasure if players aren't playing up to expectations. How is Kyrie not playing up to expectations? Because it seems to me, no one is complaining about his play on the court (nor I don't see how anyone could be.) Some fans are complaining about his alleged selfish conduct OFF the court. How does a player's truthful and frank comments about the state of the team and his free agency affect your bottom dollar? The Celtics currently sit at 34-19 and 3rd in the East with Kyrie as the leader of the team. So how are your billions of dollars being negatively affected?