Author Topic: Banta-Cain Released  (Read 14276 times)

Banta-Cain Released
« on: October 19, 2009, 06:58:05 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Boston Herald is reporting the release of Tully Banta-Cain.  I did not think he was playing that bad.  Wonder if this is a precursor to the all elusive NFL trade?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Banta-Cain Released
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/19/pats-bounce-banta-cain/

I had posted it in the other thread.

It's a surprise because they still have to pay him his full salary and he was playing ok...probably better then burgess.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:10:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
While Banta-Cain racked up a couple of sacks, I wouldn't be so quick to say that he was playing well. I don't have access to the game film but he has only made 13 tackles all year with 3 being sacks. What that tells me is that other than the pass rush, he isn't doing a whole lot.

He could be missing his coverage assignments, tackling poorly, not playing the run well, not following the line of scrimmage checks from the middle linebacker...just a whole host of things. We as fans see 3 sacks, a very glorified tackle and think he's playing well but could be missing all the bad other stuff that got him cut from San Francisco and now New England.

In Bill I trust!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544
While Banta-Cain racked up a couple of sacks, I wouldn't be so quick to say that he was playing well. I don't have access to the game film but he has only made 13 tackles all year with 3 being sacks. What that tells me is that other than the pass rush, he isn't doing a whole lot.

He could be missing his coverage assignments, tackling poorly, not playing the run well, not following the line of scrimmage checks from the middle linebacker...just a whole host of things. We as fans see 3 sacks, a very glorified tackle and think he's playing well but could be missing all the bad other stuff that got him cut from San Francisco and now New England.

In Bill I trust!!!

IBIT  too

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

In Bill I trust!!!

IBIT  too

IBIT too, but I'm still shocked by this news.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
FWIW, Mike Reiss thinks there could be more to this: http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/patriots/blog

Overall, it's hard to imagine they cut him based on production. Banta-Cain was tied for the team lead with three sacks. He's played in all six games, with two starts, and has been a solid contributor on special teams as well.

Because of this, the feeling here is that we haven't seen the last of Banta-Cain. There has to be more to the story.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
plus he has a great name - Tully Banta-Cain has always made me picture the creatures ouside of mos eisley spaceport from star wars IV. I feel like 'luke should be riding the Banta Cain to go see Ben Konobi.

first Bruschi, now this? :)

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:46:06 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Apparently this is the first week Mark Levoir and/or Brandon Tate can be activated from the PUP list.  I wonder if they are doing this to activate one of these two.  Then again, they could have released someone who is currently inactive, so not really sure what is going on with this one...

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2009/10/19/after-being-cut-tully-banta-cain-acknowledges-that-the-plan-is-for-him-to-be-back-with-the-pats/

TBC will be back

Let’s ask him.

Well, not us. But in a bizarre coincidence, the Patriots linebacker was midway through an interview on Sirius Radio’s “Movin’ The Chains” show when the news broke that he’d been cut.

So hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan had to ask him. Um, were you cut? Banta-Cain started laughing.

“Yeah, I don’t know…” he said. “There’s some stuff going on in terms of the roster. I got to see what’s up with that situation.”

They ask him, Was it with the understanding that you’d be brought back?

“Yes,” he said, quietly.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yeah ... this one is a bit perplexing, but whatever's going on, I'd have to bet on him coming back in the not-too-distant future.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2009/10/19/after-being-cut-tully-banta-cain-acknowledges-that-the-plan-is-for-him-to-be-back-with-the-pats/

TBC will be back

Let’s ask him.

Well, not us. But in a bizarre coincidence, the Patriots linebacker was midway through an interview on Sirius Radio’s “Movin’ The Chains” show when the news broke that he’d been cut.

So hosts Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan had to ask him. Um, were you cut? Banta-Cain started laughing.

“Yeah, I don’t know…” he said. “There’s some stuff going on in terms of the roster. I got to see what’s up with that situation.”

They ask him, Was it with the understanding that you’d be brought back?

“Yes,” he said, quietly.

That wouldn't exactly surprise me.  Certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that went down.

Also, just note that trading deadline is at 4pm EST today. 

So if Belichick or any one else has something up their sleeve, it'll be done today.  Although, traditionally the NFL deadline isn't exactly like the deadlines of other leagues.  Not many fireworks. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:47 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I wonder if the trade deadline has anything to do with Adalius Thomas being inactive on Sunday.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:52:55 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I believe something is in the
I wonder if the trade deadline has anything to do with Adalius Thomas being inactive on Sunday.

Yeah, I think something is in the works involving Thomas.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I dunno, its seems like nothing ever happens at the trade deadline in the NFL.  But I know the ravens are interested in Galloway so that could be something.  But it seems like with Adalius not playing last week, and Banta Cain getting cut yesterday, although he expects to be back, that something is brewing. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

I have serious doubts there.  As expressed earlier in this thread, the cap hit the Patriots absorb if they trade Thomas is pretty significant.  

I'm not saying its totally out of the realm of possibility but I don't think its too likely, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team