Author Topic: Roethlisberger the new Kobe?!?  (Read 14946 times)

Roethlisberger the new Kobe?!?
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Roethlisburger has been sued by a woman claiming he sexually assaulted her.  Certainly a little cause for hesitation based on the fact that no criminal charges have been filed, just civil.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32027678/ns/sports-nfl/

As this has broken (ESPN is refusing to air it), PFT has been giving a pretty steady stream of updates.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

As to the incident itself, it allegedly occurred on Friday, July 11.  McNulty claims that, at approximately 10:00 p.m. local time, Roethlisberger returned to his room with a young woman, who left roughly 20 minutes later.

McNulty says that Roethlisberger walked the woman to the elevator, and that Roethlisberger then stopped to talk to McNulty and other staff, for roughly 20 minutes.  (Obviously, it'll be critical to determine who these other staff members are, and what they have to say.)

As he was leaving, Roethlisberger allegedly told McNulty that the sound system on his television wasn't working.  She offered to have someone from engineering fix it, but Roethlisberger said he would call her about it later.

Roethlisberger allegedly called her a few minutes later, and he said that the television was still broken.  She offered to have someone go to the room and fix it.  He allegedly asked her to come and "take a quick look" at it.

McNulty claims that she tried to call a couple of other colleagues to handle the situation, but that she couldn't reach anyone.  She alleges that Roethlisberger called again and asked her when she was going to fix the television.

Citing a direction from management to ensure that Roethlisberger had an enjoyable trip, she decided to try to fix it herself.

McNulty claims that, when she arrived at the room, he was wearing a T-shirt and athletic shorts.  She adds, for no apparent reason other than to show the clarity of her recollection, that the room was a mess.

Roethlisberger showed her the television that was malfunctioning, located in suite's bedroom.  Using the remote, she determined that there was no problem with the television or the sound system.

She claims that, as she tried to leave the room, Roethlisberger blocked her path, and that he "grabbed [her] and started to kiss her."

She claims that she was "shocked and stunned that this previously friendly man, that appeared to be a gentleman in her previous contacts with him was suddenly preventing her from leaving, was assaulting and battering her."

McNulty admits that she didn't try to fight Roethlisberger, citing his size and strength.  She claims that she "communicated her objection and lack of consent," and that he nevertheless began "fondling [her] through her dress and between her legs."

She claims that he pushed her onto the bed, and despite her alleged protests he "pulled her underpants off and proceeded to penetrate her."

McNulty claims that she told him, "You don't want to do this."  She also claims that she said, "Please don't," and that she told him she was not on any type of birth control.

She claims that he said in response, "Don't worry, I'll pull out," which he ultimately did.

Re: Roethlisberger the new Kobe?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'll be curious to see if there's any additional evidence.  I'm pretty skeptical any time somebody opts for money, rather than going to the police.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
Hmm....

Athletic shorts and t shirt early in the story, and yet she was fondled through her dress...

Doesn't sound like her story is even consistent...

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
If it's true, he's a scumbag, and unfortunately it's not very hard to believe

This is the same moron he almost ended his carrer(and life) on a motorcycle, and who was often criticized for being lazy by teammates and coaches

Not saying that these instances make him guilty, but I'm not finding it very suprising

I have to admit, I enjoy anything negative the happens to the Steelers, who constantly jump on anything that has to do with the PATS

I'll take video tape allegations, over having this low-life on my team anyday

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
Hmm....

Athletic shorts and t shirt early in the story, and yet she was fondled through her dress...

I'm confused, what are you implying?

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
he's implying that she's a gold digger, and making stuff up.

EDIT: but having read it more closely, i think he was confused by the AP's wording. (it got me for a sec too)

Ben was the one in the shorts and t-shirt, not the women. if you read it quick, it seems like she was wearing the short and tshirt combo, then magically had a dress on.

anyway, I dunno which to believe yet, I'll have to wait for more info. (which unfortunately will be tough to get, since she's only filling civil.) I will have to say i agree iwth roy, im always skeptical when someone waits a year and then only files civil.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Hmm....

I'm confused, what are you implying?

I think he misread.  The quote says that Roethlisburger was in shorts, SHE was in a dress (not Roethlisburger in a dress  ;D :P)

I think he though she said she was in shorts, then in a dress.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:48:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah, the civil-only aspect is kind of bizarre.  Have to reserve judgment on this one.

I'm more puzzled by why ESPN is refusing to even acknowledge the story.  Are you telling me that if it was Ron Artest in this situation, they would keep their mouths shut?  Nothing's been proven, but to not even report it is very sketchy.  Seems a little like protecting a golden boy.

Hmm....

Story says he was wearing the shorts and T, not her.  That part's consistent at least.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:48:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Yeah, the civil-only aspect is kind of bizarre.  Have to reserve judgment on this one.

I'm more puzzled by why ESPN is refusing to even acknowledge the story.  Are you telling me that if it was Ron Artest in this situation, they would keep their mouths shut?  Nothing's been proven, but to not even report it is very sketchy.  Seems a little like protecting a golden boy.

Hmm....

Story says he was wearing the shorts and T, not her.  That part's consistent at least.

ESPN is rolling out ESPNpittsburg in about 2 months, can't upset the locals  by actually doing some reporting, they might not turn to ESPN's local co-opting of their media if they do..
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Thats PFT's take (on ESPN protecting him).  It's wierd, I mean whether the allegations are true or not, Roethlisburger has released a statement, his attorney has released a statement, the team has released a statement.  It clearly is newsworthy at this point.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Thats PFT's take (on ESPN protecting him).  It's wierd, I mean whether the allegations are true or not, Roethlisburger has released a statement, his attorney has released a statement, the team has released a statement.  It clearly is newsworthy at this point.

par for the course from the major national sports leader being in bed with the NFL through MNF. It's a brave new journalistic world  :'(

add in the fact that, as i said, Pittsburgh is one of the 3 new "city centric" sites ESPN is rolling out this upcoming year, and no way are they crossing that line.

this women could show up with a smoking gun at ESPN tomorrow, and she's getting the silent treatment :D

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!
Anyone want to bet that if this were Brady, or ANY player in the NBA, ESPN would be insufferable to watch?  Anyone else in the NFL gets away with murder (like Stallworth).
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Hmm....

Big Ben was the one in the t-shirt and athletic shorts early in the story.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »

Offline dannypanic

• Oshae Brissett
Anyone want to bet that if this were Brady, or ANY player in the NBA, ESPN would be insufferable to watch?  Anyone else in the NFL gets away with murder (like Stallworth).

It's ridiculous...and don't forget those terrible-towel waving buffons were the first ones to jump all over the Pats after spygate

I hope they get the same negative attention that we suffered through

Even if it's not true, it should be reported