Author Topic: NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft  (Read 13674 times)

NFL Draft Predictions / Patriots Draft
« on: April 25, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Here are my predictions for how today will unfold (a distinctly Pats-centric view):

1. Lions select Stafford (hey, I know I will be right about something!)

2. Under no circumstances will the Pats trade pick #97 (now I know I am right about two things)

More seriously:

3. Denver will use #12 and and #18 on "safe" picks, and will get a draft grade of "A" on Monday.

4. Some team that the experts didn't expect will pick Pat White in the middle of the 2nd round.  At least one expert will then say that the team is a team "to watch out for", and that team will also get an "A" on Monday.

5. The Pats will either go with CB or DE with pick #23.

6. If the Pats go with CB at #23, they will use #34 on a DE.

7. If the Pats go with DE at #23, they will trade #34 for a future 1st rounder.

8. Pats will use one of their first four picks on a WR/RB.

9. Pats will trade at least one of the 3 2nd round picks.

10. We will hear way to much about the Cassell for pick #34 trade....

I'm really excited about the draft (but unfortunately am in the office today).
Can't wait! Go Pats!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:46:30 PM by Roy Hobbs »
Celtics fan for life.

Re: NFL Draft Predictions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 03:39:09 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i'm hoping for English or one of the USC guys at 23. But they're defenitly trading some of these picks, i dont think they even have enough roster space to sign on all of their picks in this draft.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
As with all NFL drafts they are constantly changing and tough to forecast.

I love the Patrick Chung pick. He's got a great work ethic,  is a physical run defender and will fit right in on special teams. Typical Bill Belichick player.

Also like the Ron Brace and Darius Butler picks. Brace gives them some flexibility with Wilfork and Butler is solid cover man and a great value.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 11:38:12 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
There was a lot of talk leading up to the draft that the Pats *loved* Conner Barwin (some drafts had us taking him in the 1st round), but we passed on him multiple times.  Also a little surprised they traded the pick they could have used on Clay Matthews; they still need to address the linebacker corps.  I don't know anything about the lineman they drafted, but the other three guys were all players I liked a lot going into the draft; I think so far they've done well.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:18:37 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
curious day...

Didnt get any future picks which is their typical move (I assume they tried, but other teams werent biting).

As for the players they did get, well I dont know.  I am always cautious and try not to 'grade' a draft so early, because really we all know nothing when it comes down to it.  that being said, my opinion is as follows.  Chung is ok, but I bet the pats were hoping for Delmas to have still been there.  Chung is essentially a safety in a similar mold to Rodney Harrison, but with fairly poor cover skills.  I dont really see how he will fit in terms of the defense.  I am sure he will make an impact on special teams, and in sub packages for the defense, but from what I have read his coverage would be a liability.  having just signed James Sanders to an extension, was this pick really necessary?  there were some talented players still on the board, and I think this one could end up being a mistake.  Brace is Huge...a good space eater.  I dont think I would have taken him either, but that is more based on the fact that we have an outstanding nose tackle already.  Sure he is a Free Agent at the end of the year, but I assume they are going to get a deal done.  As such, Brace is a injury replacement and sub player.  Again, I felt like there were some really good players on the board that would have been better.  Butler, well Butler I was against at the time, but actually think he should be pretty good.  he's short, but has very good leaping ability.  this is the only pick I am happy with.  Vollmer is interesting.  has a pretty good amount of upside, but wouldnt he have been available later?  this seemed like a reach based on a guy who is far away from contributing.  that being said, he has the size and potential to be a starter if they get his technique down...

With all that said, if recent history is any indicator, those thoughts are likely all wrong haha.  BB always seem to surprise us, with 'unconventional' type picks that seem to pay off despite what scouting reports indicate.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:35 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Anyone care to give a draft grade so far for the Dolphins?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 12:31:41 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Didnt get any future picks which is their typical move (I assume they tried, but other teams werent biting).

I was sure they would trade a 2nd rounder for a future 2nd or first.  You never know, though, what will happen with the 3rd rounders (last year I believe they traded a 3rd rounder for a future Chargers 2nd rounder).  This year the Pats have 4 3rd rounders, and I would be shocked if they kept all 4...

Quick hits:

I was pretty sure the Pats would take a DE since that was what everyone talked about.  There is still a highly ranked DE on the board - Jarron Gilbert - who visited with the Pats a few weeks back, so maybe they will nab him.

Many thought D. Butler would go around #23, so to get him in the 40s, great.  

Brace must be happy to be staying in New England.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 12:42:06 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_37qMvwSMwo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsonsofsamhorn.net%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D44440&feature=player_embedded

1:15 mark.

While I am not ecstatic about the pick, I like what I see there (he is number 15...blocking)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 12:44:40 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I was sure they would trade a 2nd rounder for a future 2nd or first.  You never know, though, what will happen with the 3rd rounders (last year I believe they traded a 3rd rounder for a future Chargers 2nd rounder).  This year the Pats have 4 3rd rounders, and I would be shocked if they kept all 4...

yea it was weird to see them not get picks for next year, but I would assume teams werent interested in doing it.  I also doubt they use all 4 3rd round picks.

Butler will be interesting.  good value at the slot they grabbed him.  plus he should help with special teams...and in a pinch, maybe offense (he played some for uconn)

A little concerned they didnt do anything to address their biggest weakness - lack of pressure on the QB.  they either have a lot of faith in the guys they have or know something about Jason Taylor

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 02:02:07 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679

yea it was weird to see them not get picks for next year, but I would assume teams werent interested in doing it.  I also doubt they use all 4 3rd round picks.

Butler will be interesting.  good value at the slot they grabbed him.  plus he should help with special teams...and in a pinch, maybe offense (he played some for uconn)

A little concerned they didnt do anything to address their biggest weakness - lack of pressure on the QB.  they either have a lot of faith in the guys they have or know something about Jason Taylor

Or maybe they're still hopeful about Julius Peppers.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Or maybe they're still hopeful about Julius Peppers.

doubt it.  we still have our own potential Free agents to sign (wilfork, seymour, mankins, etc...).  I dont think they are about to give a massive deal to someone else.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:44:59 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Well people hoping to trade a pick for one next year got their wish, the Pats just traded their first 3rd rounder (74 overall) to the Jaguars for their 2nd next year.

Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2009 10:40 AM
The following are the terms of the trade:

The Patriots trade 73 to Jacksonville.

In return, they get a 2010 second-round pick and a 2009 seventh-rounder (232rd overall).

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:00:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
It's a good trade.

That pick will likely be somewhere in the 50's next year...

smart move.

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:13:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
great trade.
the pats will likely move another pick as well, or perhaps package a couple to move up.  they still have lots and lots...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
just drafted Brandon Tate. good talent...but failed a drug test at the combine.  was projected as a late first or second round pick before the drug test.

very good special teams player, hopefully he blossoms into more.
Mayock just said he was the best return guy in the entire draft.  tore ACL.  likely to start on PUP list.  then IR.  'a pick for 2010'.