Author Topic: If offered would you trade Cassel for a 1st round pick this offseason?  (Read 17548 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Had an interesting conversation during the game Sunday and wanted to share it here. Next year Tom Brady is sure to return(apparently a report today already has him working out in Foxborough) next year and so Cassel will be relegated to backup once again.

But if someone comes forward before the draft offering a 1st rounder for Cassel would you do it?

I think he has proven he can be a starting NFL quarterback. With time he might be a good starting NFL quarterback. I am not the only one seeing that and considering how fragile starting QBs can be and the scarcity of QBs that can actually do a quality job, I'm not so sure someone might not offer up something for Cassel. Something significant.

So would it be wiser to keep Cassel and have him on the bench behind Brady or would it be wiser to strike while the iron is hot and get something for him while continuing to develop Matt Gutierrez and Kevin O'Connell?

Re: If offered would you trade Cassel for a 1st round pick this offseason?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:23:01 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Cassell is a FA next year, so its a moot point...but if that weren't the case I absolutely would do it.

Unfortunately, Cassell will be gone next year, and we won't be getting anything in return.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Had an interesting conversation during the game Sunday and wanted to share it here. Next year Tom Brady is sure to return(apparently a report today already has him working out in Foxborough) next year and so Cassel will be relegated to backup once again.

But if someone comes forward before the draft offering a 1st rounder for Cassel would you do it?

I think he has proven he can be a starting NFL quarterback. With time he might be a good starting NFL quarterback. I am not the only one seeing that and considering how fragile starting QBs can be and the scarcity of QBs that can actually do a quality job, I'm not so sure someone might not offer up something for Cassel. Something significant.

So would it be wiser to keep Cassel and have him on the bench behind Brady or would it be wiser to strike while the iron is hot and get something for him while continuing to develop Matt Gutierrez and Kevin O'Connell?

when i clicked on this, i thought you ment sam cassell and i was like "has nick lost his mind??? of course!!!"

isn't matt a FA after this year? are we assuming we're resigning him for this scenario?

if so, then sure, i would trade him for a 1st round pick, if we already had a healthy tom back.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Taking his pending free agency out of the question, I would definitely dangle him for a 1st rounder but I think you'd find the other GMs more inclined to offer a 3rd rounder or so.  Could be wrong, though

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Sorry didn't know he was a free agent. Nevermind!!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 05:58:07 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
depends who was offering. i keep hearing that 2nd round picks are more valuable than especially high first round picks because the lack of set structure means ridiculously high and unearned contracts. regardless, i'd definitely trade cassell for a 1st or 2nd round pick if it were possible considering 1. brady should be back and 2. how high everyone is on o'connel.

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Any team with a good to great starting QB (that is not near retirement) being offered a 1st or 2nd round draft pick for the backup QB, they should take it and run. 

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Since he is going to be a FA, the point is essentially moot.

Although I think he is a restricted FA(anyone know?) and if so, the different tenders they could place on him makes the difference.

If he is restricted (and I think he is) then they could offer him a one year deal at 1.3 million which would get them a second round pick from a team that signed him.  Or they could bump it up to 1.85 million which would get them a first rounder. 

But the thing is, he isnt going to be worth a first rounder to a team picking in the beginning of the round and a team in the end (being one that does well) isnt likely looking for a qb like Cassel. 

So in the end, I think they offer him the middle exception (1.3 million) and either try to trade him, take the second round pick if someone else grabs him, or just lets him play out at that amount.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Although I think he is a restricted FA(anyone know?) and if so, the different tenders they could place on him makes the difference.

If he is restricted (and I think he is) then they could offer him a one year deal at 1.3 million which would get them a second round pick from a team that signed him.  Or they could bump it up to 1.85 million which would get them a first rounder. 

But the thing is, he isnt going to be worth a first rounder to a team picking in the beginning of the round and a team in the end (being one that does well) isnt likely looking for a qb like Cassel. 

So in the end, I think they offer him the middle exception (1.3 million) and either try to trade him, take the second round pick if someone else grabs him, or just lets him play out at that amount.
I don't know.I would bet that an okay team with a low 1st round pick(20s) like Chicago or Tampa or Minnesota might give a first rounder for a player of Cassel's quality and a team like Oakland or Detroit or Kansas City might give up a high 2nd rounder for him if they go lineman high in the first round.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know.I would bet that an okay team with a low 1st round pick(20s) like Chicago or Tampa or Minnesota might give a first rounder for a player of Cassel's quality and a team like Oakland or Detroit or Kansas City might give up a high 2nd rounder for him if they go lineman high in the first round.

I'm not 100% positive but I think he's a true free agent after this season and not restricted.  If that's the case, this is pure speculation on what would happen if there was the possibility of Brady/Cassel in '09.

I don't know if it'd justify a 1st rounder, though.  I think that a lot of people around the league would see Cassel as a system quarterback with players around him (Moss, Welker, Faulk, etc..) that are making him better than he probably is. 

It's kinda like the Derek Anderson situation last year.  Before he was resigned, I don't recall much talk about 1st rounders being thrown around.

I think first rounders and, to a great extent, 2nd rounders are being valued much more heavily by teams these days and there are very few players in all the league that would be worth giving up those high picks.  Cassel isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:02:56 AM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Assuming Kyle Orton can recover from his current injury I can't imagine Chicago giving up a high pick for Cassel.

Orton has a 61.9% accuracy 7.28 YPA 10 TDs 4 INTs
Cassel has a 67.0% accuracy 6.74 YPA 7 TDs 7 INTs

Orton is under contract for another year as well. Tampa/Minnesota might. Gruden loves his QBs and Minnesota has to do something!

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Chicago as mentioned has orton, so doubtful.  Tampa has like 18 qb's, and most are veterans, so doubtful.  Oakland has a ton of money in Jamarcus, so doubtful.  Detroit, KC, and Minny I am sure would be interested but I see it more as interested in trading a 4th or a 5th rounder.

Remember, Moss was acquired for a 4th.  Draft picks have real value, and I cant possibly imagine a team coughing up a first rounder.  I would go so far as to say, unless he truly turns a corner and looks amazing over the course of the season, I cant see anyone offering more then a 3rd rounder. 

Hopefully someone can find out if he is restricted or not since it will put the question to rest

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Cassell is a FA next year, so its a moot point...but if that weren't the case I absolutely would do it.

Unfortunately, Cassell will be gone next year, and we won't be getting anything in return.
Not quite, the Patriots will give him the Franchise tag if they think they can get a 1st round pick out of him. I could definitely see that happening and hopefully it does.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not quite, the Patriots will give him the Franchise tag if they think they can get a 1st round pick out of him. I could definitely see that happening and hopefully it does.

No way they give him the franchise tag.  As good as he has been, he is not worth being paid $10 million per year, and that is what they would be stuck with.  All the franchise tag would do would disuade other teams from signing him, forcing the Pats to have the most overpaid backup QB in the league.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 08:01:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Not Chicago.  They're pretty set with Orton, who has shown at least as much as Cassel this year.

Minnesota could use the help, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions